Skyward is basically Gurren Lagann

Patrick Star

So I just finished Skyward, and throughout the whole thing I couldn't stop thinking "this sounds like Gurren Lagann"

So let's recap. 

- Humanity is trapped in underground caverns on a desolate world, with most shreds of prior civilization eliminated.

- An alien force raids the surface, but only when human populations exceed a certain point.  We later find out that this is done to prevent humans from advancing further and to keep them in a less advanced technological state.

- The main protagonist is a town runt who's really freaking weird, who finds a broken down piece of technology from the past in a random cave while exploring.  This piece of technology becomes crucial to fighting the alien threat, and the protagonist discovers that they have an inner power that is essential for unlocking its full potential.  In addition, this inner power was a key part of why humanity ended up in this situation to begin with.

- Your drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!  Don't think I need to say any more here.

All it's missing is a Spiral King figure.

Also, both are hype af

I immediately thought this when I was reading the preview chapters. I asked Brandon during a Reddit AMA if he drew any inspiration from there, but it seems like he hasn't seen the show.

Govir

An actual Skyward question: Were you inspired by the anime Gurren Lagann at all for this? That anime starts out with humans living in caves and being attacked in order to keep their population down. The cave dwelling and constant attacks is the only connection so far that I see (the rest of the anime gets pretty crazy and I don't think you'd go that far).

Brandon Sanderson

I'm afraid I haven't seen Gurren Lagann, which is probably an oversight--a lot of people talk about it being great.

source

I hope it doesn't go as crazy as Gurren Lagann did (which wasn't a bad thing, just not what I want from Sanderson).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven’t read that but the vibe I got from Skyward was that it’s Ender’s Game if the humans lost the first war against the buggers. 

Young pilots being trained on flight simulators, an alien race the humans don’t really understand that operates like a large computerized unit sending information to each other, the jumping in and out of reality for FTL travel...there’s a lot of similarities to Ender’s Game. 

On 2/26/2019 at 7:32 PM, Andy92 said:

I haven’t read that but the vibe I got from Skyward was that it’s Ender’s Game if the humans lost the first war against the buggers. 

Young pilots being trained on flight simulators, an alien race the humans don’t really understand that operates like a large computerized unit sending information to each other, the jumping in and out of reality for FTL travel...there’s a lot of similarities to Ender’s Game. 

Yeah, the tech and side characters definitely mirror some other stuff, but the basic plot progression and premise is far more Gurren Lagann than anything else

On 2/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, Andy92 said:

Wow, yeah, that's an amazing similarity