Theory on Aimia

Zurvanight

I stated this on another thread but I'd like some more opinions if possible. I also have no clue if there is any WoB on this.

I think that Aimia is hiding a Dawnshard. The "Scouring of Aimia" was an accidental or purposeful activation of the Dawnshard which ended up devastating the island chains ecosystem but was shutdown before any more damage could be dealt.

The book Mythica that talks about the Unmade mentions that Dai-Gonarthis might have had something to do with the Scouring, but the author Hessi admits that they do not know how. I think that Odium or Dai-Gonarthis found out that there was a Dawnshard on Aimia and went there to either take or destroy it, but instead it was activated causing the Scouring.

Furthermore, during an interlude in Oathbringer, a ship crew that makes it to Akinah, The capital of Aimia, gets poisoned by a Sleepless agent on board. Before killing them, the Sleepless tells one of the crew that they are protecting a secret that could end worlds. What ended Ashyn? The Dawnshards. What do you guys think?

Edited by Zurvanite

I think Dawnshards is one of the most popular ideas regarding what is hidden in Aimia. You make a compelling case, and the idea that a Dawnshard destroyed Aimia might not have been raised before. 

So, yeah, maybe. I think the only things that could be hidden in Aimia are Dawnshards, a cremton of Deadblades or a locked-up Unmade. Possibly the Sibling, but I doubt that, a lot. Out of those alternatives, Dawnshards are the likliest.

I could buy it.  We know that Dawnshards were involved in whatever made Ashyn uninhabitable. We know that Tanavast "raved" about them in his final days, becoming convinced that the Surgebinders would do the same thing to Roshar, though by the time he made the Visions he seemed to think that the people of Roshar wouldnt be able to defeat Odium without them.  We know from that poem they could "bind any creature voidish or mortal".  One popular theory is that the Dawnshards were the Perfect Gems that can permanently imprison unmade, spren etc.  Those gems are also rumored (in world) to be pieces of the "Stone of Ten Dawns".  I wouldnt be surprised if the Blade that was used to kill Jeziren (or at least the gem mounted on it) was a Dawnshard given that it was able to kill a Herald.

Edited by Quantus
grammar...

4 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I think Dawnshards is one of the most popular ideas regarding what is hidden in Aimia. You make a compelling case, and the idea that a Dawnshard destroyed Aimia might not have been raised before. 

To be fair, (I'll dig it up if needed) I had the thought a bit ago. :)

And yes, this theory is bang on what I believe! I'm quite curious if it was accidental or on purpose. As I'm guessing it was on purpose. (Odium Plan: 269,351 - Partial Success)

1 hour ago, Dalakaar said:

And yes, this theory is bang on what I believe! I'm quite curious if it was accidental or on purpose. As I'm guessing it was on purpose. (Odium Plan: 269,351 - Partial Success)

I suspected someone would show up and prove me wrong, so thanks for proving me right in that regard :-)

1 hour ago, Dalakaar said:

Glad to see it's a popular theory, so I hope it happens. I like the idea of it being accidental to be honest, like the Aimians despite having kept it there for probably thousands of years to study it, still didn't know how to use it properly. Odium does enough damage just being Odium, and I've always liked the idea of people stupidly activating technology they don't understand haha.

When I was reading the interlude I kind of thought maybe that was where Odium's physical body was being held, similar to the prison for Ruin, but it being the hiding place of the Dawnshards would be interesting. It's also interesting that Aimia and Shinovar are so close with powerful weapons and if this theory is true then what would happen if one used a Honorblade on a Dawnshard? Maybe an experiment testing that caused the Scour?

On 1/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, Quantus said:

One popular theory is that the Dawnshards were the Perfect Gems that can permanently imprison unmade, spren etc.  Those gems are also rumored (in world) to be pieces of the "Stone of Ten Dawns".  I wouldnt be surprised if the Blade that was used to kill Jeziren (or at least the gem mounted on it) was a Dawnshard given that it was able to kill a Herald.

Do we have any ideas about how may dawnshards there are/were? I just realized I had no idea. Also, if all they are is a Perfectly cut gem, could our characters theoretically make another one? That would be interesting to read about!

On 1/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, Zurvanite said:

Glad to see it's a popular theory, so I hope it happens. I like the idea of it being accidental to be honest, like the Aimians despite having kept it there for probably thousands of years to study it, still didn't know how to use it properly. Odium does enough damage just being Odium, and I've always liked the idea of people stupidly activating technology they don't understand haha.

I like the idea of it being accidental too. I was on another thread talking about his same theory eariler, and someone was talking about how they thought people did everything in Aimia to hide soulcsators there or something? but I'd have to go look back at it again. It didn't make sense to me, (definitely the hiding the soulcasters part, and kind of the scouring being on purpose part), and thinking about it now, I think it being accidental makes a lot more sense, at least in my head. I don't think any person or group of people would have been okay with killing such a large percent of the Aimians and destroying the island unless it was absolutely critical to the survival of all mankind, and by the time of the scouring, the Desolations were, (at least for the time being), over.  Also I think something that big, (the decision to destroy Aimia) would have been forced by something big enough that there would be more memories of it. 

I don't know, it being on purpose just does not feel right to me.

Edited by Mailnaise
Forgot something

I'm a bit late to this party but Aimia is the place where that King's sister turned herself into smoke? I remember reading that section and how it is described, sounds like a place where Shadesmar/ cognitive realm connect to the physical realm/ Roshar. I remember the mention of black clouds and weird creatures that looked like spren. I don't remember much but it literally sounded like a in between world. I don;t know if this helps your theory or not but thought I should add my thoughts to help prove your possible theory

30 minutes ago, Eris said:

I'm a bit late to this party but Aimia is the place where that King's sister turned herself into smoke? I remember reading that section and how it is described, sounds like a place where Shadesmar/ cognitive realm connect to the physical realm/ Roshar. I remember the mention of black clouds and weird creatures that looked like spren. I don't remember much but it literally sounded like a in between world. I don;t know if this helps your theory or not but thought I should add my thoughts to help prove your possible theory

Aimia is an island chain of the West coast of Shinovar in the Physical Realm. Kaza, the woman you mentioned (cousin to a prince, not the kings sister) was turning into smoke before they reached the islands due to being a soulcasting savant, and was trying to find a cure on Aimia. This condition allowed her to be able to see partially into the cognitive realm.

Edited by Zurvanite

1 minute ago, Zurvanite said:

Aimia is an island chain of the West coast of Shinovar in the Physical Realm. Kaza, the woman you mentioned was turning into smoke before they reached the islands due to being a soulcasting savant, and was trying to find a cure on Aimia. This condition allowed her to be able to see partially into the cognitive realm.

Ohhh that makes sense. I thought the actual island was connected to both realms which is why she was poisoned but thank you for clearing that up

16 hours ago, Mailnaise said:

Do we have any ideas about how may dawnshards there are/were? I just realized I had no idea. Also, if all they are is a Perfectly cut gem, could our characters theoretically make another one? That would be interesting to read about!

Nope, though I would guess Ten purely since it's the thematic magic number for the whole Rosharan system.  Except for Braize being Nine-themed, which would be the second guess.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:54 PM, Mailnaise said:

On 1/3/2019 at 5:32 PM, Zurvanite said:

All we know is that one of them is not like the others. I don’t think we have any concrete information on their numbers.

• Chaos locked this topic