Helping Sanderson

Do you all think Sanderson should partner up with some good author to add color to Cosmere? 

For me a huge Malazan fan the advantage of having both Erikson and ICE churning out books is that I have a constant and regular supply of novels without too much waiting time.

And Cosmere is at par with Malazan world in terms of scope and characters. Vast and mostly unknown yet. 

Perhaps when Sanderson continues with Stormlight, we have another author writing novellas and prequels? I'd love to know more on history of Rashek (Mistborn) or even events leading to the shattering etc. 

Just so I have a constant new content to immerse myself :P

I hope he doesn't partner with someone any more than he has for official canon material. It would lose some of the flair that Sanderson has when he has free reign like that, as well as potentially messing up things Sanderson has planned. For non-canon things, it would be interesting, kind of like the Mistborn RPG that Sanderson said he regards as happening essentially in an alternate timeline. I'm just fine with that, but I still wouldn't want too much of that because I wouldn't have the money to get the official Sanderson stuff.

53 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I hope he doesn't partner with someone any more than he has for official canon material. It would lose some of the flair that Sanderson has when he has free reign like that, as well as potentially messing up things Sanderson has planned. For non-canon things, it would be interesting, kind of like the Mistborn RPG that Sanderson said he regards as happening essentially in an alternate timeline. I'm just fine with that, but I still wouldn't want too much of that because I wouldn't have the money to get the official Sanderson stuff.

If he finds the right partner, there'll be no messing up. Sanderson has ownership of world and the other author writes within the world. 

21 minutes ago, TequilaJack said:

If he finds the right partner, there'll be no messing up. Sanderson has ownership of world and the other author writes within the world. 

I mean theoretically, sure, the right partner would be better, but it's just not going to be the same.

I think I'm being misunderstood.

- Stormlight has 7 books to go. 

- Was and Wayne probably has 3 more.

- Dragonsteel is minimum a trilogy. 

- Warbreaker sequel (Nightblood) and Elantris sequel planned. 

- Aether, Silverlight and First of Sun to come.

- Not sure which covers the other shards story including the splintered ones. 

He has plate full to complete everything on his own imo.

Do you mean someone actually works on the main series, or someone writes books that take place in the worlds.

The first option I don’t think Brandon would be acceptable with, but the second he has mentioned that he would be more ok with, if he still had a lot of creative control.

It might be interesting. Brandon has been asked if he would be willing to open up the Cosmere to other authors, and he is not entirely against the idea - it would just need to be right people. Isaac Stewart, Brandon's art director, is one example Brandon has given as a person he would trust the Cosmere to, so we might see that one day. 

I am okay with the idea, as long as Brandon has enough creative oversight to step in and request changes if necessary. We'll see how his current collabs (Alcatraz 6, Apocalypse Guard) work out. 

On 1/2/2019 at 10:23 PM, TequilaJack said:

I think I'm being misunderstood.

- Stormlight has 7 books to go. 

- Dragonsteel is minimum a trilogy. 

- Warbreaker sequel (Nightblood) and Elantris sequel planned. 

- Aether, Silverlight and First of Sun to come.

- Not sure which covers the other shards story including the splintered ones. 

He has plate full to complete everything on his own imo.

The thing is, Sanderson still plans on writing for 20+ more years.  And once the first 5 book arc of Stormlight is done, he plans on taking a bit of a hiatus from it before picking up book 6.  Let's not forget that a hiatus for Brandon isn't him stopping his work altogether, it's just him shifting gears to something else.  In his time between Oathbringer and now, he pushed out Skyward as well as it's sequel's first draft, Legion, White Sand, a Magic the Gathering Novella, on top of his normal book tours and episodes for Writing Excuses.  

Also remember that him taking a break while writing Oathbringer is what gifted us Edgedancer.  

All that was just a little over a year of work.  He still plans on publishing both Starsight AND White Sand 3 while he's writing the fourth Stormlight book.

He's a writing machine, and I don't think he could work any faster if he had extra help.  He would probably want to read everything and be involved in the work and ideas of another author to begin with, and at the speed he writes, he'd probably be better off just writing stuff himself at that point.  

Edited by Poopslug The Pooper
Typo

On 3.1.2019 at 6:23 AM, TequilaJack said:

Wax and Wayne has only one book left to go (I wish there were be more;_; But he needs to move on to Era 3 eventually so no can do, and 4 books were already 3 more than he intended to haha).

I wouldn't be completely against another author writing in the cosmere as long as it would be someone Brandon trusts 100%. I like the idea of Isaac Stewart writing in the cosmere like @Argent mentioned.

Let's not forget though that Brandon does already have assistants helping him out with all the work outside straight out writing, his assistants are doing a lot of work with math (like calculating the currency of spheres in SA) and dates (Rosharan calendar is cool but lots of work too) etc.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:33 PM, TequilaJack said:

Do you all think Sanderson should partner up with some good author to add color to Cosmere? 

For me a huge Malazan fan the advantage of having both Erikson and ICE churning out books is that I have a constant and regular supply of novels without too much waiting time.

Malazan is great, I was really skeptical about the Esselmont books at first because I loved the Erickson main series so much, but he's a different writer with different strengths, and the world is so amazing that it's really fantastic having 2 different authors working on this. Esselmont as a more straightforward less poetic writer gives up more of the dirt, which is pretty awesome (really I've only read 2 ICE books, so take this for what it's worth).

On 1/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, Argent said:

I am okay with the idea, as long as Brandon has enough creative oversight to step in and request changes if necessary. We'll see how his current collabs (Alcatraz 6, Apocalypse Guard) work out. 

I think this could work, if Brandon continued to create the outlines for all of the works in the Cosmere and if the folks at Dragonsteel were still part of the process (wouldn't want any maps, or graphical elements to be created by someone other than Isaac, would definitely need Peter and Karen on board for editorial review/keeping it tethered to the internal wiki, and it's always great to see more of Ben McSweeney's artwork). One of the best things about Brandon's books is that you can count on the ending being phenomenal, so I think this should be a required feature for any work in the Cosmere.

Like Argent said, as long as everything gets Brandon's seal of approval before being published I think this could work. And Alcatraz and probably Apocalypse Guard will be good test cases to see how this all works.

Also, one possible route to the much vaunted goal of Brandon reproducing by asexual budding, not unlike a strawberry plant, is his Sci-Fi Fantasy writing course at BYU. He's actively Cultivating a new crop of writers, priming them with his methodologies of how to tackle writing problems, versing them is his interesting and patented trope upending non-formulaic formula to create interesting and compelling stories, and following their progress in the world. I could see a future where he has a couple of writers that trusts enough to give them the kind of creative leeway to work on cosmere stories that he had when he partnered with Wizards of the Coast to create the Children of the Nameless novella, and I think that he's a cautious enough person that he would make sure that everything was working before he would really turn someone else loose (in the very restrictive sense of the term with all of the above mentioned constraints) on the Cosmere.

I think Glen Cook would make a great partner for Sanderson. Even though Cook's most recent book was meandering the vast majority of his books have really good plot advancement.

I also think Paul Kearney is a excellent writer that could help make the Sanderson battle scenes more realistic and gritty. I will probably get some flak from fans rushing to his defence but, I think at times Sanderson shies away a bit from the horrors of war. Also Paul Kearney has by far the worst luck of any author I know in regards to publishers/rights and not getting the fame he deserves. It would be good for him to get some publicity for a Sanderson team up. 

Edited by Ammanas

So there is this WoB.

Spoiler

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

If you would spontaneously, prematurely die, any author you would consider ideal for finishing your work?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

I usually pick Brian McClellan. Just because he's my student and I wanna be mean to him. I've warned him, I haven't asked him if he'd do it, I just warn him. I tell people that he'll do it. And he's like, "Oh. *grumble*" We're good friends. But Brian would actually be a really good match. Properly outlined, Brian is one of the better writers out there.

Second Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

I love that caveat.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Brian is uh, Brian can go off. He knows this but, uh, yeah.

source

So i guess we know who Brandon will probably let touch the cosmere.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread makes me think of that program SETI had that allowed the organization to use subscribers' computers to outsource the processing of information packets, only in this case we'd be running a program in the background that involved packets of Sanderson's mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic