WOB about Kaladin & Shallan...

Auralis

Hey all!
I'm super new to the forum so please tell me if this has been posted about before and I've missed it.
I noticed a WOB a few months back that said:

"vanahian

And for a friend of mine and her sanity... The Shalladin thing will be something or is all in her head? Stop her pain please :D.

Brandon Sanderson

Shallan has made her choice. I wouldn't expect that to change.

vanahian

And thanks for the answer in 11. My friend is crying but now she can go ahead with her life :)

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah...I do feel bad about that. If it's any comfort, tell her I think she'll eventually be very pleased it went this way. It might take a few more books, though."

source"

What could possibly happen that would make a Shalladin shipper VERY PLEASED that they don't end up together? I feel like it would have to be more than Adolin and Shallan's relationship blossoming. First reactions for me were that either Kaladin dies/sacrifices himself/goes over to Odium (please no!). Or am I reading it wrong and something happens to Shallan instead?
What does everyone else think?

4 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Ha! It's more of an amalgamation of other different theories and jokes combined into slight humor. Either way I'm happy that Adolin and Kaladin ended up together. Let's keep it that way!

Adolin and Kaladin are together :o I didn't know Shallan could change herself to look like Kaladin!

...Veil dates Kaladin?

The ending of OB seems to suggest that Shallan is comfortable letting herself exist as three separate people. If everyone acknowledges and is okay with that...well, I don't see why it couldn't work.

(My ideal solution is a polyamorous relationship between Shallan, Adolin, and Kaladin, but that seems pretty unlikely.)

Edited by Joy
clarification

3 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Apparently my inner Truthwatcher slipped up lol. Either way, edited.

Truthwatchers unite!

@Joy Veil dating Kaladin could be a one off thing maybe but it feels like it most likely won't happen otherwise massive scandal during times of war would occur, messing with the story a lot more than needed

Just now, Eris said:

@Joy Veil dating Kaladin could be a one off thing maybe but it feels like it most likely won't happen otherwise massive scandal during times of war would occur, messing with the story a lot more than needed

Oh absolutely. I don't actually think that's likely to happen; I just wanted to throw out the idea.

7 minutes ago, Razrback16 said:

I had not personally seen that but glad you posted it - I had been a big Shalladin shipper through books 1 and 2 but in book 3 I really came to find Shallan quite irritating and was glad BS seemingly slammed the door on that ship.

I noticed a lot of people hating on Shallan which is fair, you can, but I thought it made a lot of sense because of the following spoilers

Spoiler

She killed her parents and was blamed for her father brutality towards servants and family members. 

In the spoiler, those things cause a split in personality. Shallan is suffering from this mental illness and how it is portrayed is meant to serve multiple story points but one is to show Adolin is meant for her because he accepts the true her despite her other personalities. I hope this makes sense

@ Eris - no worries, my not enjoying Shallan's character / behavior in OB isn't from a lack of understanding "why" she's the way she is - I just began finding her annoying for much of OB and did not enjoy reading her POVs. By the end when things are "decided" with her and Adolin, I had a little celebration as it seemed that would be the end of Shalladin.

5 minutes ago, Razrback16 said:

@ Eris - no worries, my not enjoying Shallan's character / behavior in OB isn't from a lack of understanding "why" she's the way she is - I just began finding her annoying for much of OB and did not enjoy reading her POVs. By the end when things are "decided" with her and Adolin, I had a little celebration as it seemed that would be the end of Shalladin.

I can respect that, some people are out for blood because they don't understand. I'm not a big Shallan fan period like from the way of KIngs not a fan but it annoys me when people just hate on something they don't understand. Furthermore the reason why I do support Shallan and Adolin rather than SHallan and Kaladin

Also i think we are biased toward male characters (us men). I saw a girl that joined yesterday and she said Shallan was her favorite character. I guess identifying with the character has something to do with it. I also don't super love her but she's cool.

I am very happy with adolin and Shallan together, i don't think kaladin is ready for love yet  as he has a lot of internal issues to solve

I'm female and Shallan is my least favourite of the main three. Jasnah is one of my favourite characters though because I do identify with her a lot.

I do think Shallan/Adolin is the better outcome though, because I don't think Shallan and Kaladin would be good for each other, they'd end up exacerbating each other's issues. They both need some relatively stable and grounded.

12 hours ago, Auralis said:

Hey all!
I'm super new to the forum so please tell me if this has been posted about before and I've missed it.
I noticed a WOB a few months back that said:

What could possibly happen that would make a Shalladin shipper VERY PLEASED that they don't end up together? I feel like it would have to be more than Adolin and Shallan's relationship blossoming. First reactions for me were that either Kaladin dies/sacrifices himself/goes over to Odium (please no!). Or am I reading it wrong and something happens to Shallan instead?
What does everyone else think?

Thanks for replying!

I knew that i was asking too much but... i couldn't resist to do it anyway T\_T

P.S. And thanks for the answer in 11. My friend is crying but now she can go ahead with her life :)

>!Now she can return to her obsession of what happened to Kenton and Khriss.!<

Very pleased whith Kenton And Khriss

7 hours ago, Xavier Iriarte said:

Also i think we are biased toward male characters (us men).

Ya, I find myself frequently putting myself in Kaladin's shoes during his POVs since I probably identify closest with him of all the main characters, minus his bouts of depression / self-loathing. I am frequently rooting for him to do certain things / handle situations certain ways throughout the story in the way I imagine myself handling them, hah. It's funny how we get attached to our favorite characters.

8 minutes ago, Mraize7 said:

Thanks for replying!

I knew that i was asking too much but... i couldn't resist to do it anyway T\_T

P.S. And thanks for the answer in 11. My friend is crying but now she can go ahead with her life :)

>!Now she can return to her obsession of what happened to Kenton and Khriss.!<

Very pleased whith Kenton And Khriss

I did see the whole quote but didn't think Brandon was referring to that part in his reply? The friend was specifically sad and crying about Shalladin but just obsessed about K & K. So Brandon talking about comfort seemed much more directed to the initial query in my opinion. Plus more likely to be covering Shallan and Kaladin over a period of books instead of Kriss and Kenton who have been a bit more peripheral I think. 

Edited by Auralis

About Shallan...I can understand why people don't like her, especially in OB where's she's constantly flitting back and forth between Adolin and Kaladin and it's kinda distracting.

I loved her in Way of Kings especially when she was around Jasnah for the first half of the book.  In Words of Radiance I always figured she developed a crush on Kaladin because they were trapped in the chasms, in a life or death situation while being stalked by a giant crab monster lol. A kind of suspension bridge effect where she mistook the stress as infatuation.

Shallan is my favorite character hands down, but I liked her less in OB than in WoR. I wouldn't say I found her annoying; it's just that, for me, her fracturing personality in OB made for a less compelling story than her repression of childhood memories in WoR.