Book 4 Update #1 from Brandon

What's a Seawolf?

I hope this is the right forum, and it's okay to link to other sites.  If not, I apologize.

Over on the Stormlight Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/absjnj/stormlight_book_four_update_1/) Brandon posted his first update for book 4.  I won't quote the whole thing, but he mentions spending the first two months starting yesterday creating an outline, then possibly posting a spoiler free version of it like he did with OB.  He also mentions that a part of Kaladin's WoR arc was originally outlined to be in OB, which I cannot picture at all with how perfect Kal's WoR story was.

Another interesting tidbit at the end, 'I'll leave you with a random tidbit to theorize about. I'm pretty sure that at my signing last week in Idaho Falls, I was unintentionally misleading about some of the things I said about Dalinar's powers (regarding infusing of spheres.) I was trying to talk around spoilers for book four...'

I couldn't find anything on the events and signings page, anyone know what he's talking about?

3 minutes ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

Does anyone recall how long it took him to outline Oathbringer? I suspect this will be longer because he's outlining Book 4 & 5, but it's good to have an idea of if he's "on schedule".

I read the reddit and sounds like he has most of it done already but needs to go over it and the previous books and tweak and fix to make sure it flows properly which may not take as long as we think unless there is a section that needs massive fixing

He said in the reddit post that this outlining should take 2 months maybe 3. He outlined the first 5 books initially, but hasn't altered the book 4 or 5 outlines to reflect changes that he's made in the first three books. He'll be outlining both so that he doesn't write himself into any awkward corners

What @Kon-Tikin said. I guess comparing the time it took to outline book 4 to outlining book 3 is not suitable. We will know whether Brandon Sanderson will keep the schedule he set for himself. But hey.. We are talking about Brandon Sanderson. Even if outlining the book takes longer than planned, I am sure that SA 4 will be published after a reasonable time.

Thanks @What's a Seawolf? for posting the update. I love the transparency and openness Brandon provides for his fans. And I love his books even more. :wub:

I'm fascinated by the idea of Brandon kicking back with a copy of Way of Kings or Words of Radiance and just power reading it with all of his notes and outlines out in front of him.  I believe in State of the Sanderson he said that he would start the year with a reread of the previous books in order to refresh him to avoid continuity issues and to make sure any side plots aren't forgotten about.

What I wouldn't give in order to spend some time with his refreshed outlines for books 4 and 5....

2 hours ago, Poopslug The Pooper said:

I'm fascinated by the idea of Brandon kicking back with a copy of Way of Kings or Words of Radiance and just power reading it with all of his notes and outlines out in front of him.  I believe in State of the Sanderson he said that he would start the year with a reread of the previous books in order to refresh him to avoid continuity issues and to make sure any side plots aren't forgotten about.

What I wouldn't give in order to spend some time with his refreshed outlines for books 4 and 5....

Me too, I don't even know why it's so interesting to me that an author would read his own books but it arrested my attention all the same. I'm not one for "reaction" videos but, watching Brandon hit certain parts of the books could be amusing to say the least. (I'm guessing a few evilgrins along the way.)

On 2. 1. 2019 at 5:56 PM, What's a Seawolf? said:

He also mentions that a part of Kaladin's WoR arc was originally outlined to be in OB, which I cannot picture at all with how perfect Kal's WoR story was.

Bet the Moash betraying part, because Moash was mainly OB character so far.

I can't really imagine how books 3-4 would have went with the flashbacks in the original order, meaning Szeth in book 3 and Dalinar in book 5.

OB wouldn't have worked at all without Dalinar as flashback character and his role in the story. So how would it have worked to have all this in book 5? The ending of OB was climactic, so maybe it could have been book 5 too?

On 1/4/2019 at 4:01 AM, Winds Alight said:

I can't really imagine how books 3-4 would have went with the flashbacks in the original order, meaning Szeth in book 3 and Dalinar in book 5.

OB wouldn't have worked at all without Dalinar as flashback character and his role in the story. So how would it have worked to have all this in book 5? The ending of OB was climactic, so maybe it could have been book 5 too?

There’s a WoB that talks exactly about this. I’ve put it in the spoiler below because it’s really long.

Spoiler

Ray745

So once upon a time Brandon was going to write Szeth as the flashback character for book three, but then Brandon changed his mind, decided to write Dalinar's flashback chapters to see how that would go, and then after writing them made book 3 Dalinar's book instead. Here is a quote from the first Stormlight Book 3 Update post Brandon made in this subreddit

As someone else has posted, I have finished the rough draft of Dalinar's flashbacks for Stormlight Three. I consider the experiment of writing his flashbacks for this book, instead of waiting for book five, to be a success. Therefore, I'm proceeding with the Dalinar/Szeth flip.

The reasoning for this is something I can't discuss in detail until the book is released. I'd be happy to revisit this topic once you all have a chance to read the novel.

Now that the book has been out for 6 months or so, I'd love to hear Brandon discuss the reasoning behind this. Personally, I have a very tough time imagining how this book would have played out if Szeth had been the flashback character. Clearly we wouldn't have had to Dalinar/Odium confrontation if we didn't have Dalinar's flashbacks, as those were integral to the overall storyline. I'd love to hear what the plot of this book was originally supposed to be when Szeth was going to have the flashbacks. Does anyone know the answers to this, or am I going to have to hope Brandon sees this post and decides to answer more than a RAFO? :)

Brandon Sanderson

Hmm. This is going to be difficult to answer without straying into spoilers for books four and five. It's also hard to say how the books would have played out if I'd swapped these back.

The Dalinar/Odium confrontation would still have happened, as that was something I'd been planning for a while. But how would things have played out? Hard to say, as an outline is only a rough guide--even for someone like me. It's when you get to the nitty gritty of the story that things come together.

Having finished the book, it's hard for me to imagine going another direction--as I made the decisions I did because I felt they were the ones that were right for the story. And a lot has changed over the years as I've worked on the details. (Kaladin's arc from book two, for example, was originally plotted for book three--parallel to Szeth and his flashbacks, which share some similarities.)

Dalinar's flashbacks would work very well for book five for reasons I can't explain yet--but it became clear to me that I needed them for this book, despite the outline looking at the Szeth/Kaladin dynamic. (Which was upended anyway when I moved Kaladin's second character arc to book two.)

So...that's a whole lot of not saying much, I'm afraid. I can answer a lot more once book five is out.

sv15249

Does it mean that we shouldn't expect any explanations or clues about what happened with Dalinar at the end of Oathbringer before book 5?

Ask just to know if we'll know more in book 4 or we'll have to wait a bit longer.To avoid false expectations:)

Brandon Sanderson

There will be explanations and clues, but I would anticipate more Dalinar in book 5 than in book 4.

source

30 minutes ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

I thought he's going to work in Mistborn 2 series this year

His plan was to get TLM done before the end of last year so it could come out sometime this year or next year, but that didn’t end up working out. You can read more about that on Brandon’s website. Just look for the post called “State of the Sanderson.”

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's checking in on Brandon's homepage three times a day to see whether the bar went up.
I know it might be waaaay too early, but still ...

I dreamed of SA 4 last night ... I remember there was a lot of Adolin & Maya in it. I'd like that. :lol: But I also remember I didn't like much what happened. :ph34r:

Edited by Winds Alight