Hoid is a Mistborn

On 1/4/2019 at 9:17 AM, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I wonder if he could Soulcast something that’s already in his stomach into an Allomantic metal.

I lol'd because I got this mental image of Hoid with his cheeks stuffed with food to use later, like a chipmunk. 

Also thought about Lift and wonder if her converting food to stormlight is based on Scadrial's converting metals to investiture. 

A Mistborn who can soulcast is scary.  Hold basically inputted an Infinite Magic Cheat Code.  He'll never be without metals, and have as much as he needs.  He can go Savant with every metal type.  A Savant Mistborn.  Who can Soulcast.  And Lightweave.  And who has enough breath to have perfect pitch.

Hoid is a scary individual, even if you don't count all the other things he can do that we don't know about.  

4 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Even without the WoB, Hoid said "Life before death" to the Cryptic and then promised it some "juicy truths". I'm curious about how fast he will achieve the ideals. He has to be one of the more self aware characters in the Cosmere so it seems like he should be able to pull a Szeth (who knew what his fourth ideal would be the moment he swore the first) and jump right to the end. Either way I really hope we get to see Hoid speak his truths rather than have him do it off page.

He probably immediately swore all five and is just amazingly powerful now, with double Lightweaving, Plate, Blade, and all the rest of his various magics.

A Mistborn who can soulcast is scary.  Hold basically inputted an Infinite Magic Cheat Code.  He'll never be without metals, and have as much as he needs.  He can go Savant with every metal type.  A Savant Mistborn.  Who can Soulcast.  And Lightweave.  And who has enough breath to have perfect pitch.

To make it even worse, now he has double Lightweaving, because of his Yolish Lightweaving. 

As to the rest of his magics, it's a very good thing Hoid can't actively cause harm to people.

Edited by Invocation

Ok. So this whole “soul casting food in his stomach” got me thinking. We know the following things (I think. Correct me if I’m wrong):

• some Magic’s that the Knight Radiant have come from Honor, some from Cultivation. 

• Lift was granted a boon from the Nightwatcher, and Brandon confirmed that the boon she gave lift was directly related to her specific magic. 

• Resonances are developed when one person has access to magic from 2 different shards. I may be misremembering and it can be from just one Shard. If so please correct me

• Shallan has a resonance of being able to take Memories. That would imply that one of her powers is from Honor, the other from Cultivation. 

The whole Lightweaving one is based on “lies,” or false selves. This would seemingly be tied to Honor who is obsessed with things like truths, lies, oaths, etc. That would make the whole Soulcasting portion of her magic related to Cultivation. Does that mean that Lift’s conversion from food to Investiture could be related to Soulcasting / IS  Soulcasting?

jeez it took me a loooong time to get to this point. 

Edited by Dizzy

11 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Ok. So this whole “soul casting food in his stomach” got me thinking. We know the following things (I think. Correct me if I’m wrong):

• some Magic’s that the Knight Radiant have come from Honor, some from Cultivation. 

• Lift was granted a boon from the Nightwatcher, and Brandon confirmed that the boon she gave lift was directly related to her specific magic. 

• Resonances are developed when one person has access to magic from 2 different shards. I may be misremembering and it can be from just one Shard. If so please correct me

• Shallan has a resonance of being able to take Memories. That would imply that one of her powers is from Honor, the other from Cultivation. 

The whole Lightweaving one is based on “lies,” or false selves. This would seemingly be tied to Honor who is obsessed with things like truths, lies, oaths, etc. That would make the whole Soulcasting portion of her magic related to Cultivation. Does that mean that Lift’s conversion from food to Investiture could be related to Soulcasting / IS  Soulcasting?

In my opinion the surges are divided evenly between Honor and Cultivation. Cultivation has all of the surges that are about change: Division, Pregression, Transformation, Cohesion and Adhesion. Honor gets the surges that deal with changing the laws of nature: Gravitation, Abrasion, Lightweaving (which seems to be about controlling vibration/frequency), Transportation (relative motion maybe?) and Tension. I think Stormlight is a combo Investiture like the Dor, so what Cultivation did with Lift seems to have added a new ability that is Pure Cultivation. Do we know if Lift is converting food to Stormlight? Or is she simply using it as a path to other Investiture that she is able to power the surges with? The resonance you’re talking about is caused by the interaction of the two surges that the Surgebinder has access to.

15 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Do we know if Lift is converting food to Stormlight?

She is actually straight up converting the food to Stormlight. It's not like Allomancy, where the metals are the gateway to the power, she is just converting directly.

11 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Resonances form when you have a power and if molds slightly to you, just your flavor of that magic ability. Generally if you have enough powers to have some from multiple Shards (excluding the Shards that have melded their Investiture together [willfully or not] to make that magic), you don't get a resonance because the powers don't get a chance to resonate with your Cognitive/Spiritual selves because there's so many of them. No subtlety in, say, a Mistborn, with 16 powers, so no resonance. Twinborn can and do have resonances, but going much further than 2 powers like that seems to cross the threshold that we've seen. 

On 3.1.2019 at 0:26 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

Huh, cool. Now we can have the ”who is the most skilled Mistborn, Hoid or Kelsier” debate.

My vote goes to Kelsier by the way. I will always vote Kelsier, no matter the question.

One of my not-so-secret wishes is for a rematch between Hoid and Kelsier where Kelsier would have his powers back (and more). And I would also vote for Kelsier. Always. *highfive*

On 1/5/2019 at 10:31 PM, Dizzy said:

• I don't think we have any indication that specific Surges belong to different Shards.  
  • I think the prevailing theory is that Lift's abilities are the result of direct intervention by Cultivation, similar to Dalinar's.  Either way, yes, the boon is from Cultivation's magic, not Honor's.  
  • Resonances do not have to be from different Shards.  See the Coppermind page for more info.  

Lift's special ability is not a form of Surgebinding.  Soulcasting converts one form of matter into another.  Lift actually converts food into Stormlight itself (i.e. pure Investiture).  

• Chaos locked this topic