Hoid is a Mistborn

Brandon finally confirmed it!

[suggestion]

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

We know that Hoid took a bead of Lerasium, but it never specifically says that he consumed it.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, he did.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Alright, so he is a Mistborn?

Yes, I'll go ahead and canonize that.

source

Excellent!  I was pretty sure he was at least a Misting from the hints in WoR, though it always seemed to me that using it to become a Misting of a single metal would be a huge waste of its potential. 

If Im not mistaken, this would still leave open the possibility that he divided the bead and saved some to alloy to other world's Godmetals.

8 minutes ago, Lord Mist said:

does anyone know if Hoid took the herald of wars honorblade? it seems like everywhere he goes he collects some type of power, and assuming he cant bond with a spren then the next best this is an honorblade. 

Questioner

Does a Hoid have two Honorblades?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid has no Honorblades.

Questioner

Whats wrong on both counts, actually? Brandon gave them to him, right?

Brandon Sanderson

Currently has no Honorblades.

source

Questioner

The Herald of War at the end of Way of Kings-- I assume he had an Honorblade with him?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Okay... So when Dalinar had the sword that he gave up...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

...for the Stormfather it actually cried, which it typically happens if there's spren in the sword, which means that was not an Honorblade, correct?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, and if you look they're described differently!

Questioner

Which means somebody else has the sword, correct?

Brandon Sanderson

The sword was switched out!

Questioner

Probably by Wit. I'm not going to ask you for spoilers, but...

Brandon Sanderson

Wit does not have the sword.

Questioner

No!?

Brandon Sanderson

But... I can't-- I dunno if I've told people whether or not he at one point had the sword... But he does not have the sword now.

source

It's funny that he has Mistborn powers but is currently on Roshar.  I feel like that would be a lot of work.  It's not like you could just go bouncing around Roshar asking people for powdered tin or pewter.  If they even have the metals to begin with, you'd have to file them yourself.  

I suspect the mistborn powers will come into play somewhere else in the Cosmere.  I can't see them getting a ton of use on Roshar, especially now that he seems to be trying to bond a cryptic spren.  

2 minutes ago, Poopslug The Pooper said:

It's funny that he has Mistborn powers but is currently on Roshar.  I feel like that would be a lot of work.  It's not like you could just go bouncing around Roshar asking people for powdered tin or pewter.  If they even have the metals to begin with, you'd have to file them yourself.  

It's Hoid. He can always get ahold of what he needs for Allomancy (and anything else).

2 minutes ago, Poopslug The Pooper said:

I suspect the mistborn powers will come into play somewhere else in the Cosmere.  I can't see them getting a ton of use on Roshar, especially now that he seems to be trying to bond a cryptic spren.  

Considering the chronologically last cosmere series will be officially noted as a Mistborn series, I'd have to say they'll spread sooner or later.

11 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

and now Hoid can Soulcast, so he pretty much has access to infinite or near-infinite supplies, even of the rarer metals like Cadmium and Bendalloy.

I wonder if he could Soulcast something that’s already in his stomach into an Allomantic metal.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

Questioner 1 [PENDING REVIEW]

Can people not from Roshar bond with spren and get the Shardplate and whatnot?

You have seen someone not from Roshar bond a spren. You have seen that much happen.

Questioner 2 [PENDING REVIEW]

We know for sure that Hoid is a Lightweaver.

Questioner 1 [PENDING REVIEW]

Do we know that?

Hoid has bonded a spren.

source

Even without the WoB, Hoid said "Life before death" to the Cryptic and then promised it some "juicy truths". I'm curious about how fast he will achieve the ideals. He has to be one of the more self aware characters in the Cosmere so it seems like he should be able to pull a Szeth (who knew what his fourth ideal would be the moment he swore the first) and jump right to the end. Either way I really hope we get to see Hoid speak his truths rather than have him do it off page.