Doomslug Theory *SPOILERS*

Unstoppable Force

I was thinking about the ending and how the planet is a prison planet.  What if it is not just a prison planet for Humans, what if Doomslug is also imprisoned on the planet too? 

We know that Humans have FTL/Cytonic abilities and were imprisoned before they became "Civilized".

Perhaps Doomslug species is in the same category?  We suspect that with Doomslug moving so quickly, when not being seen, that DS is using FTL of some sort?

I don't have much evidence to back it up, just a hunch.

3 hours ago, Unstoppable Force said:

I was thinking about the ending and how the planet is a prison planet.  What if it is not just a prison planet for Humans, what if Doomslug is also imprisoned on the planet too? 

We know that Humans have FTL/Cytonic abilities and were imprisoned before they became "Civilized".

Perhaps Doomslug species is in the same category?

Well Doomslug herself can hardly be considered a species.

Also a thought, has anyone asked Brandon if Doomslug is really that important? A WoB on it would be very nice. At the moment, I really don't think there's much going on there...

17 minutes ago, Mailnaise said:

Also a thought, has anyone asked Brandon if Doomslug is really that important? A WoB on it would be very nice.

Here you go :D

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

What about Doomslug? What's up with Doomslug?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Doomslug will be answered pretty soon. Doomslug is relevant.

source

Doomslug is obviously "Krell"

Elysium spoilers 

Spoiler

The main alien race in elysium is described like beings floating in some biological liquid in their armor.

Why to use armour? They are vulnerable, probably. Floating? What else might slug do in metal armour...

It sounds clear to me. Doomslug is the very alien race. Prove me wrong... ;-)

There is more to it, but I am lazy to write...

Read And Find Out Slug

(RAFOS)

Edited by NoiseSpren

17 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

Since Skyward's basically Gurren Lagann, Doomslug is going to end up being an incredibly potent source of Cytonic Energy.  So yeah, Doomslug is the hyperdrive.

doomslug is probably cytonic but it can't be the hyperdrive because when spensa teleported away from the lifebuster doomslug wasn't there

• 4 weeks later...

Crazy theory idea thing: Doomslug is her father.

We know that alien species, through psychic stuff, have the ability to invade minds. Whether mind swap is included, I don't know, but if it is, then her father's mind would have been imprisoned in a krell/Varvax body. If her father was imprisoned inside a krell, it wouldn't behave like an ordinary krell. If her father found Spensa, and he was trapped in the body of a slug, he would probably hang around her.

Edited by Sharshiblarb

1 hour ago, Sharshiblarb said:

Crazy theory idea thing: Doomslug is her father.

We know that alien species, through psychic stuff, have the ability to invade minds. Whether mind swap is included, I don't know, but if it is, then her father's mind would have been imprisoned in a krell/Varvax body. If her father was imprisoned inside a krell, it wouldn't behave like an ordinary krell. If her father found Spensa, and he was trapped in the body of a slug, he would probably hang around her.

Throughout most of the book I assumed that her dad didn't go crazy, that he got his mind swapped with an alien, so it was the alien who attacked his flightmembers.  However, it's stated pretty explicitly in the book that her father was affected by the Cyto hallucination-thing and thought that all of his friends were already dead and that he was attacking the Krell.  

• 2 weeks later...

My current theory is that Doomslug is the baby form of an alien race that we’ll see later in the series. M-Bot’s old pilot was attacking some outpost/space station that this race was occupying, and the pilot ordered M-Bot to leave and lay low after they got into trouble. Doomslug hitchhiked before M-Bot left

The mushroom thing is relevant to my theory in that M-Bot collects mushrooms, and Doomslug eats them. The pilot could have used mushrooms as a way to track settlements where they were being grown for food, or to draw aliens to traps.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 10:54 AM, Turtle373 said:

doomslug is probably cytonic but it can't be the hyperdrive because when spensa teleported away from the lifebuster doomslug wasn't there

We don’t know that for sure. When Rig asks where the cytonic hyperdrive is so he can try to fix/study it, M-Bot points him to an empty compartment within the ship. Maybe Doomslug’s species was used by humans for FTL travel by putting them in that compartment and exploiting the slugs’ natural abilities. Doomslug could easily have made her way into the compartment between Spin leaving M-Bot and the final dogfight. Or maybe not, maybe the slugs are a substitute for the defect; pilots without the ability could instead make FTL jumps using the slugs.

My guess is that Detritus is one of the known planets, maybe the only planet, on which Doomslug’s species exists, which is why Gran-Gran’s mother took the Defiant fleet there. I’ve also been thinking that the slugs are how the Krell find human settlements, because the slugs are attracted to people with the defect. If that’s true, then Doomslug could have been protected from being discovered by M-Bot’s stealth technology.

Edited by King's Twit

My personal theory is that Doomslug is a type of animal from Words of Radiance (where most of the animals are crustacean-like) without a shell. The eating question is important because Doomslug likes to eat krem.

3 hours ago, Bluest said:

My personal theory is that Doomslug is a type of animal from Words of Radiance (where most of the animals are crustacean-like) without a shell. The eating question is important because Doomslug likes to eat krem.

Unfortunately, since Earth exists within Skyward's universe, that cannot be true. 

11 hours ago, Bluest said:

Skyward is not in the Cosmere, so there are no Stormlight crossovers.  It is, however, in the same universe as an old short story of Brandon's, Defending Elysium, which can be found on Brandon's website.  

Here's a listing of all of Brandon's available works, including his unpublished ones:

On 1/6/2019 at 8:18 AM, NoiseSpren said:

Elysium spoilers 

Hide contents

The main alien race in elysium is described like beings floating in some biological liquid in their armor.

Why to use armour? They are vulnerable, probably. Floating? What else might slug do in metal armour...

It sounds clear to me. Doomslug is the very alien race. Prove me wrong... ;-)

There is more to it, but I am lazy to write...

Read And Find Out Slug

(RAFOS)

I really like that theory, though I'm not sure how well it actually works out

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with NoiseSpren, if only 'just for fun'.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:32 PM, Ark1002 said:

When I was reading the book for the first time, as soon as DoomSlug showed up I decided I would believe he was Krell, just because on the off chance I turned out to be right then I would be able to say 'I told you so'.

But another question: if DoomSlug was Krell, would Spensa be able to communicate with him telepathically?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...