Sart

Quick Fix Game 35: The Melee

289 posts in this topic

You know, it has been a while since I did a QF, and this seems fun. Hopefully I haven't betrayed anyone here too recently. I'll be Elysian.

Posted (edited)

@Sart If I were to protect another player, would they be notified of the protection?

Edit: If a player was attacked, and I defended them, would I got notification that I protected them? Would they get a message?

If you are attacked but defend, are you notified that you are attacked?

Edited by Droughtbringer
More questions

I haven't played in a while so this will be exciting. :D Sign me up as Rose Shol. I probably won't be able to come on more than once a day but I'll try to be as active as possible.

I... have not read the Rithmatist and generally have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll sign up regardless as Logmul of Sdrawkcab.

39 minutes ago, MrakeDarshall said:

Please count me in.

Huh. Did you know there's a DrakeMarshall running around here somewhere, too? What're the odds.

Will we be informed of who attacked us if we successfully defend?

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Huh. Did you know there's a DrakeMarshall running around here somewhere, too? What're the odds.

Really? You must introduce me to them sometime.

Edited by MrakeDarshall
Newline char in the middle for no reason

I will join as Newt Scamander. First thing that popped into my head.

I don't think I've been in a ffa game yet. Sign me up. This'll be fun.

On 1/2/2019 at 0:04 PM, Sart said:

I suppose stranger things have happened. In that case, everyone would tie for the win.

So you're saying it would be a draw basically

Or everyone would tie for last place, if you want to be a downer about it.

On 1/6/2019 at 0:56 AM, Droughtbringer said:

@Sart If I were to protect another player, would they be notified of the protection?

Edit: If a player was attacked, and I defended them, would I got notification that I protected them? Would they get a message?

If you are attacked but defend, are you notified that you are attacked?

There will be no notifications for defending or surviving an attack. You will be notified if you lose a life.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, xinoehp512 said:

Will we be informed of who attacked us if we successfully defend?

No you will not.

Posted (edited)

Well folks, 21 fantastic Rithmatists are entering the arena, but only 1 will emerge as the champion.
Tom, the excitement in here is deafening. Can you talk a bit about the strategy that's involved here?
It's all about defense Ron. Do you play it safe and risk an imperfect circle, or do you rush into battle, hoping to overwhelm your opponents? It's always a tough decision.
And we certainly can't forget about politics.
Making alliances is crucial to surviving the early stages. Still, there's nothing preventing sudden betrayals.
That just makes it interesting.
Indeed.

As a reminder, in your role PM, please respond with what defense you would like to draw. For 48 hours, and only for these 48 hours, PMs are open. Make sure to include both myself and Alvron in them. This round lasts 48 hours, and will end on Thursday, January 10, 2018 at 4:00 PM EST. Good luck.

Player List:

Hide contents
  1. xinoehp512: Rogiv
  2. Mailiw73: Amil
  3. Elandera: Tahrie Field
  4. Snipexe: Snip
  5. Fifth Scholar: Miffed
  6. A Joe in the Bush: Joseph Watson
  7. Rathmaskal: Notath Reat
  8. Droughtbringer: Matist Rist
  9. Furamirionind: Loren Menza
  10. Ornstein: Tendin Throk
  11. Devotary of Spontaneity: Slavista Norman
  12. I think I am here: Pete Gazon
  13. Steeldancer: Squiddle
  14. Cadmium Compounder: Apla Yer
  15. Elenion: Vao Temer
  16. Araris Valerian: Elysian
  17. Frozen Mint: Rose Shol
  18. Lumgol: Logmul of Sdrawkcab
  19. MrakeDarshall: Drake Marshall
  20. Kidpen: Newt Scamander
  21. Shqueeves: Jeeves
Edited by Sart
Added in player list

Well, I'll put myself forward as an informant.

I'll go with the Matson Defense, and gather a bit of information that way, and start and information trading business. 

If you're interested in any of the information, send me a PM and we'll come up with a code to use, so I'll be able to talk to you in the thread.

The way my information will work is that you trade info for any information that I have.

You want to know any given players defense? That's fine but you'll have to give me your defense in the code.

Will people lie and my information be off? Yeah. But that's the fun part.

So, if you're interested, send me a PM!

16 minutes ago, Droughtbringer said:

Well, I'll put myself forward as an informant.

I'll go with the Matson Defense, and gather a bit of information that way, and start and information trading business. 

If you're interested in any of the information, send me a PM and we'll come up with a code to use, so I'll be able to talk to you in the thread.

The way my information will work is that you trade info for any information that I have.

You want to know any given players defense? That's fine but you'll have to give me your defense in the code.

Will people lie and my information be off? Yeah. But that's the fun part.

So, if you're interested, send me a PM!

Hey... that’s my thing. :P

Here's Len, dropping in with my standard C1 (or C0 in this case) role analysis:

Note: for this analysis I'll be assuming that nobody will defend a target other than themselves. Though there is a potential for this is alliances form, each alliance will have to defend all of its members, and so they'll likely stick to only a single protection per target.

Ballantain defense: The only way to survive a double-strength line of vigor is to have drawn the Taylor defense C1 and have drawn a Line of Forbiddance, and even so you would lose your double life. Most people who draw the Taylor defense likely will do so because they don't want to have to use many Lines of Forbiddance to defend themselves during the game, making the Ballantain Line of Vigor an effective unblockable kill. However, since the Ballantain user cannot use Lines of Forbiddance and have no bonus from their defense, they are guaranteed to die from any kill aimed their way. The value of this defense is high in the early rounds of the game, where a player is less likely to get hit by a random kill, but in the later rounds the Ballantain defense will likely fall victim to the eventual fate of any glass cannon.

Matson defense: I don't think the ability of this defense to gather information is too useful, unless you're tunneling on a specific player or trading information. However, this is the only defense that enables the user to make a Line of Forbiddance C1. It's useful as a vanilla choice of defense, with the added gain of a bit of information, and has a use in teams to avoid wasting actions (ex: using a Line of Making to prevent a Ballantain defense from defending).

Taylor defense: This defense sacrifices your first turn's action for an extra life if you survive. There are obvious benefits to this: there are more targets in the game C1 than any other cycle, and so you're less likely to die to a wandering kill. After C1, the Taylor user has the equivalent of a Line of Forbiddance every turn until it's used up. The Taylor defense user in the mid-game will likely be making a Line of Vigor every turn (unless they're alternating Making/Vigor, see below)

Line of Making notes: this prevents the target from taking an action the next turn. This is not used like a roleblock to nullify protection at the same time as a kill action. Therefore, having a teammate use the Line of Making for you really doesn't help: you'd get the same number of kills if you and the teammate both just alternated Making and Vigor on different targets, and this second approach requires much less coordination using secret codes in-thread.

TL;DR:

Ballantain: has what's basically an insta-kill, but low late-game survivability

Matson: decent for team use, info-trading, or if you want to be able to use Forbiddance C1

Taylor: has the best survivability and frees you from performing unnecessary Lines of Forbiddance in the early- and mid-game, but you're vulnerable to random kills C1 and your ability is nullified by a single attack.

So building my own thoughts on top of Elenion's analysis. If we were to assume that there was no discussion prior to making the decisions of our own defense, I would venture to guess that the distribution of defense would look something like this

Ballantain: maximum of 2-3 players. Most of these people would be people who won't necessarily care if they win, but want to cause a bit of chaos, or have more action and discussion

Matson: maximum of 6-9 players. Most of these players will be ones who are looking to find a way to keep themselves safe by putting many friends around them. They will bank on the fact that their allies might continue to want information, and therefore won't attack them until late in the game. 

Taylor: 9-13 players. I think that most people, without having the opportunity to discuss plans and strategies would choose the Taylor defense. The promise in this game of having more than one life is relatively attractive. It will help you survive until later in the game.

If most players happen to choose the Taylor defense, that means that by the middle of the game, there will be lots of people running around with extra lives, and the game will slow down for a couple of rounds. Then after the time passes with few deaths, deaths will speed up a bit again, maybe. 

I think the Ballantain Defence is the most dangerous, as it guarantees the elimination of a target of the drawer’s choice C1. That said, as Len has already pointed out, this weakens your own defence somewhat, but unless kills are traced it becomes a lot harder to find the user until later in the game when they’ve potentially gotten off several kills. This, combined with the fact that tiebreaks are decided by kill number, will honestly be the most popular defence IMO. People like to kill in SE (I’ve seen that firsthand, and am hardly an exception). 

Honestly the Matson Defence looks to be the most promising of the three, avoiding both the early-game susceptibility of Taylor and the fragile nature of Ballantain, and the more stodgy and defensive players will likely take this one, as well as anyone looking to eliminate a specific target. 

Taylor Defence is definitely the riskiest, and will likely be chosen by those who enjoy gambits. Given, as I’ve theorised, the prevalence of Ballantain (and perhaps Matson), Taylor users are taking a massive gamble, and would likely be drawing mostly Making and Forbiddance until very late in the game to try to drag out their survival. 

TL;DR—Most people in the thread are probably lying and will go for Ballantain or Matson hoping to strike quickly or settle into a position of knowledge with their ally. Taylor will be used, and is helpful, but its users will probably be killed before anything is accomplished. I’m playing this game as though I’m dying C2 at the latest, and as that holds for most players in this game, I advise everyone to make this a quick game and use Ballantain or Matson. 

On secret codes:

Before anyone gets ahead of themselves, it's important to remember this rule from the general rules thread.

Each player is subjected to only being able to use their own talents to determine alignment. For example, using outside sites and programs written by anyone other than yourself is forbidden. If a program you’re using does something that you cannot do yourself without the aid of the program, don’t use it. This is mostly in reference to codes and encryptions. If you can’t encrypt it by hand with paper, you can’t use a program to do it (though a program that speeds up the process is just fine, but only if you wrote it). You cannot share such a program that you wrote with other players for them to use.

Basically, don't use outside sites to hash and encode messages. Flavor wise, you're yelling at each other in the arena. Using code words is fine. One idea would be having the first letter in your first word correspond to a player number. I'm sure you guys can come up with even more interesting ways to conceal your intent. However, I must stress that using outside programs is forbidden. Use your own talents, and everything will be fine.

1 minute ago, Sart said:

On secret codes:

Before anyone gets ahead of themselves, it's important to remember this rule from the general rules thread.

Basically, don't use outside sites to hash and encode messages. Flavor wise, you're yelling at each other in the arena. Using code words is fine. One idea would be having the first letter in your first word correspond to a player number. I'm sure you guys can come up with even more interesting ways to conceal your intent. However, I must stress that using outside programs is forbidden. Use your own talents, and everything will be fine.

Good reminder, I had completely forgotten that was there. Thanks!

I’m a bit disappointed, no PMs yet and it’s been a few hours already. :P

Sup peeps, I'm going to get my homework done then maybe say something intelligent. Or not. Not sure why I would need to be intelligent in this game, just dumb luck should do the trick. 

Hello fellow competitors!  Welcome to the The Thunderdome! Its going to be a wild ride tonight as Chalk Wizards battle Chalk Wizards to the death! Only one will come out Chalk Champion, and the rest will have been turned into mere Chalk Dust. What do you mean why am I commentating if I’m participating. I can do what I want if I’m fighting in a chalk post apocalyptic battle to the death. Of course I’m not showing any bias! Why would I? Its not like its going to matter once this place turns into a chalk war zone. I’ve seen less dangerous Rattler Dens out in the Outback. What’s the Outback? What’s the Outback? Boy, if you don’t what the Outback is then you’ve got another thing coming entirely. No wonder they send people like you to these chalk death games. Must just be the way evolution works in this chalk dimension. Well folks, its time for me to try out this Chalk Voodoo to protect myself while the stations cuts to a commercial break. I’ll see you in a minute folks, and if I get possesed by a Chalk Demon, remember to stay away from strange magic portals kids.

Maill, you know that I'm afraid of you now, right? :P 

In all seriousness, I'm totally down for negotiating deals/temporary truces with players, if they want to - just hit me up in PM!

Would anyone like to arrange a last two standing suicide with me? Accepting any takers.

The only way I could see a Ballantain player possibly winning is if everyone dies before alliances fall apart. The Ballantain defence is entirely dependent on being defended by their allies, and once their alliances are broken by death or betrayal, the best they can possibly hope for is that everyone dies at once, which I feel is unlikely until there are so few players that everyone would have been attacked at least once, which would be fatal to a Ballantain player. With 21 players though, victory is unlikely enough that playing this defence just for fun would be a reasonable choice.

More worrying is a Matson alliance, who could verify each other's defences by targeting each other in cyclical fashion. Cycle 1, there would be a bloodbath where the Matsons ruthlessly slaughter all the Ballantain and Taylor player, suffering only a few casualties in the process. If a majority of players choose this option, a lot of people won't really get a chance to play, similar to the earlier version of this game where over 1/3 of the players automatically died before C1 began unless all three defences were equally represented.

I personally feel that the game would be most interesting if everyone drew the Taylor defence and then abstained from using Lines of Forbiddance. Everyone gets two guaranteed cycles to participate, and alliances have to work together to double-tap targets with Lines of Vigor.