2 minutes ago, Voidus said:

In 10 days time it will have been 2 years since the last post in Portland.
:(

It's sad that it died down, but I also think it's really nice that so many of us are still around and that we all remember the collab so vividly, with several of us exporting our favorites OCs to newer pastures.

I can't say that about every creative writing project I've ever been a part of.

Just now, Kobold King said:

It's sad that it died down, but I also think it's really nice that so many of us are still around and that we all remember the collab so vividly, with several of us exporting our favorites OCs to newer pastures.

I remember my first day here. It was just as the RP was dying down, and I did a dumb which I won't speak of, and you guys were so nice about it. I made a flat character and tossed him into Salem, I checked back regularly for months, not much happened, and I eventually moved on. I was so happy when I checked back on a whim and saw the beautiful star on the left next to the Question thread as well as an entire new RP somehow.

4 hours ago, Kobold King said:

Yeah! Such good memories!

Anyone have a favorite moment from WHIO? I think one of mine has got to be SparklyTimes being canon. 

Edited by winter devotion

18 hours ago, breakingamber said:

Quick nitpick: Jack Slash, Crawler, Winter, Crimson, (most of the rest of the cloned Slaughterhouse 9), Teacher, Custodian, Bakuda, Oni Lee, I kinda guess I probably shouldn't go on...

Jack Slash just wanted to leave his mark on the world, which I can completely understand.  He is one of, if not my, favorite character(s).  Also, his Trigger Event is (for me, different people have different things that they hate) one of the most awful Trigger Events in the entire serial.

The S9 were under Jack's influence, and they didn't necessarily join willingly.  Once you are forcibly recruited, it's not like you can leave.  You have a kill order now.  You are then slowly warped into becoming a better fit for the group.  I have additional reasons to feel sympathetic for various other S9ers.

The clones kind of had personalities of their own, and kind of didn't, so they're weird.  

Teacher is one of the people I don't sympathize with.

Custodian lost a physical body, which would suck, and now works 24/7 with no breaks because either (I don't know if it's ever revealed) it's the right thing to do or because they don't really have a choice.

Bakuda's hopes were crushed because she was framed for breaking the rules.  I hate it when people punish me for something I didn't do.

Oni Lee's mind was slowly degraded through repeatedly cloning himself and then killing the original, so now he has no initiative.  That makes him one of the characters I feel the most for, actually.

I have thought this through :D.  I didn't just say it as one of those throw-out statistics that are closer to a wild guess people give sometimes.

1 hour ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Jack Slash just wanted to leave his mark on the world, which I can completely understand.  He is one of, if not my, favorite character(s).  Also, his Trigger Event is (for me, different people have different things that they hate) one of the most awful Trigger Events in the entire serial.

The S9 were under Jack's influence, and they didn't necessarily join willingly.  Once you are forcibly recruited, it's not like you can leave.  You have a kill order now.  You are then slowly warped into becoming a better fit for the group.  I have additional reasons to feel sympathetic for various other S9ers.

The clones kind of had personalities of their own, and kind of didn't, so they're weird.  

Teacher is one of the people I don't sympathize with.

Custodian lost a physical body, which would suck, and now works 24/7 with no breaks because either (I don't know if it's ever revealed) it's the right thing to do or because they don't really have a choice.

Bakuda's hopes were crushed because she was framed for breaking the rules.  I hate it when people punish me for something I didn't do.

Oni Lee's mind was slowly degraded through repeatedly cloning himself and then killing the original, so now he has no initiative.  That makes him one of the characters I feel the most for, actually.

I have thought this through :D.  I didn't just say it as one of those throw-out statistics that are closer to a wild guess people give sometimes.

Huh, you really did think this through. I missed several of those details. (also Custodian is just a bastard, according to Ward). What was Jack's trigger event? I must've missed it somehow.

It's a WOG I think.  He was trapped in his own basement for years when he was a kid by his parents, who got him to stay there by convincing him that the world had ended.  When they died for some reason I can't remember, he left the house and discovered the world was completely fine, and the people he loved and trusted implicitly had lied to him out of some twisted desire to protect him.  His worldview was shattered.  Trigger.

Kind of poetic, given his ultimate fate.

Spoiler

Shards have quite the sense of irony when it comes to trigger events. According to WOG this typically manifests as the powers inflicting a situation vaguely similar to the trigger on either other people or on the parahuman themselves whenever they use their power.

Jack triggered because he was imprisoned and told the world had ended.

Jack ultimately catalyses the end of the world for real, and then gets imprisoned in a Grey Boy loop.

Not a dumb question.

In the meeting doc, I think(?) either Bloodlight or Stalemate would be next (@Sazedezas)

Although, it's not clear if that thread is meant to be parallel with the meeting, in which case we could still do something else with the meeting in the meantime. Most of the things I can think of would involve the Circle and/or Karabiner though.

On 7/22/2019 at 0:16 AM, MrakeDarshall said:

I've definitely been meaning to get into Practical Guide. It looks fun.

Unfortunately I'm a slower than average reader and my reading list is big.

While I've always prided myself as a faster than average reader, but when you're introduced to the world of web serials and webcomics your reading list tends to grow exponentially. So far I've got about half of Ward, ~1/3 of The Wandering Inn, Twig, Pact,  Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, something in Chinese my mom sent me, the fifth Red Rising book, Bedlam, Armageddon Outta Here, The Legend of Xanth series, and How to Read Literature Like a Professor.

There's a fifth Red Rising book?? Well, my reading list just got a bit longer :P I'm not sure I even knew about there being a fourth one :)

Even without web serials in the mix, I'm a slow reader. I'm always a bit surprised when I recommend a series to someone and they finish it quickly. On the bright side, I remember everything I've read really well, so there's that.

16 hours ago, breakingamber said:

While I've always prided myself as a faster than average reader, but when you're introduced to the world of web serials and webcomics your reading list tends to grow exponentially. So far I've got about half of Ward, ~1/3 of The Wandering Inn, Twig, Pact,  Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, something in Chinese my mom sent me, the fifth Red Rising book, Bedlam, Armageddon Outta Here, The Legend of Xanth series, and How to Read Literature Like a Professor.

Which web comics do you read?

Just now, breakingamber said:

The Order of the Stick, Darths and Droids, xkcd, some other stuff here and there.

Nice, I personally also read Oots and Xkcd. I personally also like Schlock Mercenary, Gunnerkrigg Court and Godslave.

Okay, I hate to both double post and put people on the spot, and I know many of you are busy but...

@Sazedezas: We could use you on the meeting document both to write for Arachnerd and Bloodlight/Nate. The coffee shop scene seems finished, so would either you or @Hemalurgic Headshot post it or revise it or something? Also I'm not sure what's happening with Karabiner, but I assume he's coming in soon? 

@Kidpen, @winter devotion, @kenod, @The Young Pyromancer, @Voidus, @TwiLyghtSansSparkles, @Weirdpersonx: You all have characters either at or watching the meeting. Some of them may want to react or say something to respond to Epoch's question. (Armageddon, Kokichi, Amethyst, Nicroburst, Blank, Viktor, Neverthere, Jade/Nathan, Phytomagnet...)

...Is that everybody? Sorry if I'm being bossy, rude, and/or insensitive.

8 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

Okay, I hate to both double post and put people on the spot, and I know many of you are busy but...

@Sazedezas: We could use you on the meeting document both to write for Arachnerd and Bloodlight/Nate. The coffee shop scene seems finished, so would either you or @Hemalurgic Headshot post it or revise it or something? Also I'm not sure what's happening with Karabiner, but I assume he's coming in soon? 

@Kidpen, @winter devotion, @kenod, @The Young Pyromancer, @Voidus, @TwiLyghtSansSparkles, @Weirdpersonx: You all have characters either at or watching the meeting. Some of them may want to react or say something to respond to Epoch's question. (Armageddon, Kokichi, Amethyst, Nicroburst, Blank, Viktor, Neverthere, Jade/Nathan, Phytomagnet...)

...Is that everybody? Sorry if I'm being bossy, rude, and/or insensitive.

I'll try and get to that today. I've got jet lag from my trip right now so I'm super tired.