I'm editing in the words for the first page of my superhero comic! (That one I asked for help coming up with powers for.) I did a sort of prototype for my school newspaper, but this is gonna be the real deal! I think when I've got a good chunk of pages ready, I'll start uploading them to a webcomic site one at a time! Or something. 

53 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

I'm editing in the words for the first page of my superhero comic! (That one I asked for help coming up with powers for.) I did a sort of prototype for my school newspaper, but this is gonna be the real deal! I think when I've got a good chunk of pages ready, I'll start uploading them to a webcomic site one at a time! Or something. 

Good luck!

2 hours ago, winter devotion said:

That's fantastic! :D Best of luck to you!

2 hours ago, Kobold King said:

That's fantastic! :D Best of luck to you!

Thank you! I’m really excited. I love the way of sorting powers I’ve come up with! In accordance to Sanderson’s laws, every power has a cost and limitations! In general, using the superpowers (which everyone except stuffy scientists who insist on being technical just call superpowers because who are we kidding here, they’re superpowers) makes people hungry, with extra downsides to specific categories or individuals. There’s mutations, which are just inhuman looking people. Usually based after animals or mythical creatures (like FRICKIN DRAGONS). They need to eat more than most, but consinstently and in less extreme amounts than some more active categories. Mentalists, like mind controllers, need to touch people with their hands to activate their abilities. Swarm types (basically like Taylor from Worm with a wider variety of things they can control based on the individual) get nauseous. There’s a whole bunch of these types, with some subsets. Right now, I have about 137 abilities, with the second generation only have copies of their parents and absolutely no people with multiple abilities.

Does anyone who can science know how genes decide which trait to exhibit if two different dominant genes are passed on? Ones that don’t share or mix at all?

1 hour ago, winter devotion said:

Thank you! I’m really excited. I love the way of sorting powers I’ve come up with! In accordance to Sanderson’s laws, every power has a cost and limitations! In general, using the superpowers (which everyone except stuffy scientists who insist on being technical just call superpowers because who are we kidding here, they’re superpowers) makes people hungry, with extra downsides to specific categories or individuals. There’s mutations, which are just inhuman looking people. Usually based after animals or mythical creatures (like FRICKIN DRAGONS). They need to eat more than most, but consinstently and in less extreme amounts than some more active categories. Mentalists, like mind controllers, need to touch people with their hands to activate their abilities. Swarm types (basically like Taylor from Worm with a wider variety of things they can control based on the individual) get nauseous. There’s a whole bunch of these types, with some subsets. Right now, I have about 137 abilities, with the second generation only have copies of their parents and absolutely no people with multiple abilities.

Does anyone who can science know how genes decide which trait to exhibit if two different dominant genes are passed on? Ones that don’t share or mix at all?

Alright... I'm stupid and literally learning about this in Bio right now, so I'd recommend discounting my advice.

In any reasonable scenario (I think?), science should decide that superpowers are a dominant gene and if offspring has the superpower gene, then they should have superpowers. If two different 'dominant' genes are passed on to offspring (though most genes are usually either expressed or not expressed), then the more dominant one should show, though the less dominant one will still be there.

12 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

Alright... I'm stupid and literally learning about this in Bio right now, so I'd recommend discounting my advice.

In any reasonable scenario (I think?), science should decide that superpowers are a dominant gene and if offspring has the superpower gene, then they should have superpowers. If two different 'dominant' genes are passed on to offspring (though most genes are usually either expressed or not expressed), then the more dominant one should show, though the less dominant one will still be there.

I figured someone with two powered parents would have more of the default portfolio (natural stat boosts when it comes to healing and strength in exchange for being even hungrier) but only one of the actual powers, cuz otherwise things would get unbalanced really quickly. 

Just now, winter devotion said:

I figured someone with two powered parents would have more of the default portfolio (natural stat boosts when it comes to healing and strength in exchange for being even hungrier) but only one of the actual powers, cuz otherwise things would get unbalanced really quickly. 

Realistically, they could easily have both powers. 

But I guess one could argue that superpowers are relatively recessive for whatever reason (maybe because it makes you hungry and whatnot?) and that the odds of inheriting more than one or two or three or fifteen are dependent on the genotype of both your parents.

Going by wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_(genetics)#Co-dominance), having two dominant genes will generally cause both of them to express themselves. On the other hand, having a large variety of powers would mean that a single gene probably wouldn't be enough to decide your power type, so the mixing of a number of genes is what causes people to only manifest a specific power, similar as to how something like eye color works (this means that someone from the third generation could potentially have the same powers as one of their grandparents did, even if their parents didn't).

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Going by wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_(genetics)#Co-dominance), having two dominant genes will generally cause both of them to express themselves. On the other hand, having a large variety of powers would mean that a single gene probably wouldn't be enough to decide your power type, so the mixing of a number of genes is what causes people to only manifest a specific power, similar as to how something like eye color works (this means that someone from the third generation could potentially have the same powers as one of their grandparents did, even if their parents didn't).

Oh right.

*facepalms*

1 minute ago, breakingamber said:

Oh right.

*facepalms*

Yeah, I learned a couple of things I either forgot or never learned from that article as well.

Also, having a more complex poly-genetic model could also allow you leeway to do more interesting things with the abilities, such as weird quirks appearing in the way powers work for children of two powered parents. Nothing like mixing of powers, or stuff breaking the rules, but more like a small weird thing that characters might be able to abuse, or on the other hand it could cause characters where the required secondary powers don't work, which causes the powers to be a danger to them, which could give some interesting plot lines.

Two options: Codominance or incomplete dominance
Either both traits fully manifest, or there is something of a blending of two traits.

So for superpowers, either both parents abilities would be fully inherited, or the child would have a combination of both abilities, potentially causing something new.

Or as mentioned you could have a more complex genetic model which would allow some more weirdness.

2 hours ago, kenod said:

Argh, this is complicated. I think I'll do this, with a bit of handwaving. 

Just now, breakingamber said:

Maybe humanity got lucky in the evolutiony thingy?

BUT THAT'S NOT HOW EVOLUTION WORKS-- okay, okay, evolution based ways of justifying superheroes bothers me a little bit. (There's potential for eugenics there. Not that that's not something worthy of discussion, but... yikes.)