3 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

Alright, let's change the topic.

Who here has seen Deadpool 2?

I have. The franchise isn't entirely my cup of tea, but they both have some good lines and parts that made me laugh. Deadpool 2 significantly more so than the first, since it didn't feel like they were leaning on the novelty of an R-rated comedic antihero movie quite so heavily.

Just been re-reading some of the early Dalles posts after someone upvoted one of mine, man there were a lot of fun scenes in there. Backtrack, the twins and Reader in the same room was an interesting dynamic.
Poor Autumn / Twi for having to deal with them immediately after that. :P

6 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Just been re-reading some of the early Dalles posts after someone upvoted one of mine, man there were a lot of fun scenes in there. Backtrack, the twins and Reader in the same room was an interesting dynamic.

I'm doing the same thing. :lol: It was one of those cases where the contrast between everyone's characters helped them all find a very precise voice, since we could all measure them by who they weren't.

Also I saw this tumblr post the other day and it made me think of Reader and Backtrack.

Spoiler

2019-02-11.png.f24f1564b3578cca7f7c8ffbca9d1b16.png

Edited by Kobold King

17 minutes ago, Voidus said:

You're welcome. :) After I reread Portland in preparation for some collab work, I decided I wanted to reread the Dalles. It's interesting to see how cohesive and well put together the Dalles are, even in the first days, especially compared to Portland. Part of that is definitely because we had a better idea of what we were doing by the time we started that, while Portland took some time to coalesce into a cohesive story. But part of that is definitely in the environment of each city; Portland is crazy and all over the place and the Dalles is structured and given very strict rules and it's cool that even the feel of the city is captured in the structure of the posts. 

On another note, I've been reading the OoC Darkrose/Alastair stuff and wow, that's good. I loved CorpseMaker's death, that was brilliant! Do you have power profiles for the two epics? I'd love to see their entire ensemble of powers. 

10 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

You're welcome. :) After I reread Portland in preparation for some collab work, I decided I wanted to reread the Dalles. It's interesting to see how cohesive and well put together the Dalles are, even in the first days, especially compared to Portland. Part of that is definitely because we had a better idea of what we were doing by the time we started that, while Portland took some time to coalesce into a cohesive story. But part of that is definitely in the environment of each city; Portland is crazy and all over the place and the Dalles is structured and given very strict rules and it's cool that even the feel of the city is captured in the structure of the posts. 

On another note, I've been reading the OoC Darkrose/Alastair stuff and wow, that's good. I loved CorpseMaker's death, that was brilliant! Do you have power profiles for the two epics? I'd love to see their entire ensemble of powers. 

Both threads were really fun, and I also love how different in feel and story they were. They were both equally insane, what with the dinosaurs and flying pandas, but the overarching conflicts and themes of the character profiles were very different.

I didn't have a formal Epic profile for Darkrose, but here goes. :ph34r:

Spoiler

Epic Name: Darkrose

Pre-Calamity Name: Samantha Trattner 

Primary Power: Darkrose is named after her primary power, which causes vines dotted with long thorns and black roses to sprout out of any solid material she can lay her eyes on. The surface is reduced to dust in the process, and the speed at which the vines can be grown is limited by the density and durability of said surface; out of loose soil the vines sprout up faster than the human eye can track, and while still wickedly fast in asphalt or concrete, they grow slowly enough to be evaded if you're quick on your feet.

Darkrose uses her vines for combat, spawning massive numbers of them when faced with an opponent. The vines are near indestructible with a tensile strength higher than steel, and can lift weights up to several tons if she focuses. She can even use them as a mode of quick transportation, elevating herself as high as she likes and sprouting new roses in front of her to carry her forward.

The range of her vine-growing ability is somewhere in between fifty and a hundred feet depending on the surface.

Secondary Power / Prime Invincibility: When any part of her body is injured, the damaged tissue is transfigured instantaneously into plant matter that takes the forms of small vines underneath or covering her skin. The plant matter reconstitutes itself into a facsimile of her undamaged flesh and then changes back, resulting in all injuries completely disappearing.

Using this power Darkrose can shrug off massive amounts of damage. The caveat here is that the more she uses her offensive vines, the slower (and more easily overwhelmed) her healing becomes. If she's willing to forego her offensive vines however, she can heal much faster than normal, recovering even from such attacks as a shotgun blast to the face in a matter of seconds.

Weakness: Having lost her home city, her father, and her older sister in short succession as a little girl, Samantha Trattner's root fear became losing people she cares about. In particular she couldn't bear the thought of losing her mother, whether by death or by artificial separation such as the ultimatum she received from the Thoughttown testing process. Although Darkrose killed her mother during her Rending, this fear still transformed into the artifact which would take away her powers.

Her weakness is cupcakes, which were her mother's favorite pastry to make. Other baked goods of sufficient similarity will cause her vines to weaken and her healing to slow, but only recognizable cupcakes will take away her powers altogether.

So, full disclosure: Alastair basically has Fortuity's powerset. It began as a joke AU where, following Calamity's peacing out, Nathan got Fortuity's old powerset and I didn't change it for the Vanilla Sabotage Bad End AU. So I'll go through all the ways he uses his powers and his weakness, and how he chose his name. In other words, he has Fortuity's powers but he's a different character shut up. :ph34r: 

Spoiler

Origin of Name: Nathan has always been a nerd. His love of Doctor Who is the most prominent example of this, true, but prior to Calamity when information was more easily accessible, he'd seek out interesting nuggets and hang onto them even when they weren't immediately useful. He was a person who took a lot of Wiki Walks, and on one of these walks, he ran across the page for Aleister Crowley, an English occultist prominent at the turn of the twentieth century. Among other things, Crowley believed that the dawn of the twentieth century marked mankind's passage into what he called the Aeon of Horus, an age in which humans would take greater control of their destiny. 

Upon becoming an Epic, this bit spoke to Nathan more than ever before. Those words now seemed prophetic to him, as if Crowley had seen a lowly server, once condemned to death, be elevated to the same level as the gods who had crushed him. Not knowing he was now ruled by fear, not caring he had lost touch with what had once made him human, he embraced this new sense of dark liberation and named himself Alastair, after the man who had prophesied his freedom so very long ago. 

Use of Powers: Alastair does not hide any of his powers and sees no need to. Enhanced reflexes did much to help him survive during the Battle of Portland, and since his danger sense often automatically triggers said reflexes, he sees little point in hiding them, and will instead show off when he feels the need to. Many of his powers are purely mental and therefore not showy in the least, so he's not inclined to hide the only one that serves as physical proof of his Epic status. 

His precognition allows him to see anywhere from several seconds to several minutes into the future. The more chaotic his surroundings are, the more potential futures exist around him, and the shorter the length of time he has to see. In calmer circumstances, he sees fewer potential futures, and can thus view more lasting effects of them. One interesting use he's found for this power is a sort of reflective telepathy: He can't read minds or hear thoughts, but if someone is seriously considering harming him, that possibility will enter the array of potential futures, and it isn't difficult for him to guess what they're thinking of at that moment. 

Weakness: There were many fears that plagued him in Newcago, borne of the powerlessness that reigned his existence. Fear of death. Fear of angering a powerful Epic. Fear of those Epics he had worked so hard to please tiring of him and disposing of him accordingly. All of these were brought together in one awful moment: the night he awoke from a drugged sleep, gagged and clad in a white robe, wrists and ankles strapped to a table. 

Alastair's weakness is having his hands bound to a flat surface. 

3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

So, full disclosure: Alastair basically has Fortuity's powerset. It began as a joke AU where, following Calamity's peacing out, Nathan got Fortuity's old powerset and I didn't change it for the Vanilla Sabotage Bad End AU. So I'll go through all the ways he uses his powers and his weakness, and how he chose his name. In other words, he has Fortuity's powers but he's a different character shut up. :ph34r: 

Hide contents

Origin of Name: Nathan has always been a nerd. His love of Doctor Who is the most prominent example of this, true, but prior to Calamity when information was more easily accessible, he'd seek out interesting nuggets and hang onto them even when they weren't immediately useful. He was a person who took a lot of Wiki Walks, and on one of these walks, he ran across the page for Aleister Crowley, an English occultist prominent at the turn of the twentieth century. Among other things, Crowley believed that the dawn of the twentieth century marked mankind's passage into what he called the Aeon of Horus, an age in which humans would take greater control of their destiny. 

Upon becoming an Epic, this bit spoke to Nathan more than ever before. Those words now seemed prophetic to him, as if Crowley had seen a lowly server, once condemned to death, be elevated to the same level as the gods who had crushed him. Not knowing he was now ruled by fear, not caring he had lost touch with what had once made him human, he embraced this new sense of dark liberation and named himself Alastair, after the man who had prophesied his freedom so very long ago. 

Use of Powers: Alastair does not hide any of his powers and sees no need to. Enhanced reflexes did much to help him survive during the Battle of Portland, and since his danger sense often automatically triggers said reflexes, he sees little point in hiding them, and will instead show off when he feels the need to. Many of his powers are purely mental and therefore not showy in the least, so he's not inclined to hide the only one that serves as physical proof of his Epic status. 

His precognition allows him to see anywhere from several seconds to several minutes into the future. The more chaotic his surroundings are, the more potential futures exist around him, and the shorter the length of time he has to see. In calmer circumstances, he sees fewer potential futures, and can thus view more lasting effects of them. One interesting use he's found for this power is a sort of reflective telepathy: He can't read minds or hear thoughts, but if someone is seriously considering harming him, that possibility will enter the array of potential futures, and it isn't difficult for him to guess what they're thinking of at that moment. 

Weakness: There were many fears that plagued him in Newcago, borne of the powerlessness that reigned his existence. Fear of death. Fear of angering a powerful Epic. Fear of those Epics he had worked so hard to please tiring of him and disposing of him accordingly. All of these were brought together in one awful moment: the night he awoke from a drugged sleep, gagged and clad in a white robe, wrists and ankles strapped to a table. 

Alastair's weakness is having his hands bound to a flat surface. 

I like Darkrose having a unique set of powers, and Winter has done some really creative artwork with it, but if I had to give her the powerset of an Epic who was a part of Sam's life before, it'd be Altermind. Mainly because there would be a delicious irony in her embarking on a crusade to peel away Epics' lies and expose the reality of their actions, all while using potent illusions to hide everything she does. :ph34r:

Alistair's weakness is one of the harder-to-trigger ones.  I like that.

There are basically a few types of Epic weaknesses: those that are easy to trigger, those that are easy to trigger but are hard to find out, and those that are tricky, sneaky things, that you trigger by accident, and then are VERY hard to trigger again.  Like Steelheart.  Like Alistair.

Like Blank :ph34r:

:D

1 minute ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Alistair's weakness is one of the harder-to-trigger ones.  I like that.

There are basically a few types of Epic weaknesses: those that are easy to trigger, those that are easy to trigger but are hard to find out, and those that are tricky, sneaky things, that you trigger by accident, and then are VERY hard to trigger again.  Like Steelheart.  Like Alistair.

Like Blank :ph34r:

:D

Also Lightwards. If you manage to set off his weakness, you've already lost more deeply than any fight could inflict on you.

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

‘Twas me. Though it wasn’t quite the method that was thorny, but more the situation surrounding it. 

Yeah, I can see that.

Poor Remington. We all have to remember that even the most badass people have limits too, and eventually those limits will be reached.

See Batman, that guy from the Watchmen, and Chuck Norris (he's dead).

7 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

‘Twas me. Though it wasn’t quite the method that was thorny, but more the situation surrounding it. 

What was the plan for that, anyway? Would he figure out the weakness or just accidentally trigger it? 

(I honestly assumed the plan was the Alastair method, aka killing him until he’s so stupid that he can’t hurt anyone)

2 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

What was the plan for that, anyway? Would he figure out the weakness or just accidentally trigger it? 

(I honestly assumed the plan was the Alastair method, aka killing him until he’s so stupid that he can’t hurt anyone)

I think that something would've happened to Remington, where he didn't care anymore, and he just decided, 'storm it, I'm going to shoot this slontze' and he shot him.

And then Lightwards died.

1 hour ago, Kobold King said:

I like Darkrose having a unique set of powers, and Winter has done some really creative artwork with it, but if I had to give her the powerset of an Epic who was a part of Sam's life before, it'd be Altermind. Mainly because there would be a delicious irony in her embarking on a crusade to peel away Epics' lies and expose the reality of their actions, all while using potent illusions to hide everything she does. :ph34r:

Mmm, that'd be a nice piece of irony for sure. I like that idea. 

48 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

RAFO. ;)

9 hours ago, Mailliw73 said:

Mmm, that'd be a nice piece of irony for sure. I like that idea. 

RAFO. ;)

Well it’s over, so... 

Also, Funtimes not really knowing what to do with Remington so she just gives him guns is one of the funniest things in Oregon. Like, it’s serious in context but also, if you think about it, it’s like. Here. Gun.

4 hours ago, winter devotion said:

Well it’s over, so... 

Also, Funtimes not really knowing what to do with Remington so she just gives him guns is one of the funniest things in Oregon. Like, it’s serious in context but also, if you think about it, it’s like. Here. Gun.

It’s like when you have a friend who’s impossible to buy gifts for because they don’t seem to want or need anything in particular, but they have a bunch of cute teapots on display in their kitchen so you’re like “Uhhhh here, have a teapot.” Except it’s guns instead of teapots. :P

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It’s like when you have a friend who’s impossible to buy gifts for because they don’t seem to want or need anything in particular, but they have a bunch of cute teapots on display in their kitchen so you’re like “Uhhhh here, have a teapot.” Except it’s guns instead of teapots. :P

My take away from this is that Remington keeps his guns on display in the kitchen.
EDIT: And also maybe makes tea with them?

Edited by winter devotion

36 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

My take away from this is that Remington keeps his guns on display in the kitchen.
EDIT: And also maybe makes tea with them?

REMINGTON: All right, welcome back to Cooking with Guns. Now, let’s see what’s in the mail today. He opens a letter and reads aloud: “Dear Remington, please make tea by starting a fire with your gun and...” 

He slams the letter down on the counter. 

REMINGTON: Seriously? I get this question every. week. And I answer it every week. You can’t start a fire with a gun. Doesn’t matter what you’ve read online. Doesn’t matter what your drunk uncle told you. You. Cannot. Start a fire by shooting an empty casing at a pile of black powder. What do you want me to do, go out in the woods and show you? 

His mobile buzzes, and he takes it from his pocket. 

REMINGTON: “Hi Remington. Yes, that would be awesome. XOXO.”

He stares at the camera for about 30 seconds straight. 

REMINGTON: What is wrong with you people?