10 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Cool!

That's what Kobold and Twi thought...:ph34r:

EDIT: Flame on!

I’ll probably stay up to date with this question thread though and pitch in here and there. Depending on how fast they move these days I guess. 

Just now, Mailliw73 said:

I’ll probably stay up to date with this question thread though and pitch in here and there. Depending on how fast they move these days I guess. 

Well, recently an incredibly deep and characterization-heavy question came up.

...in the Invocation universe where there was no Epic corruption, what are the chances of uncorrupted Jade Delancey, Sam Trattner, and Emma Runes collaborating on pranks against Daniel Dewhickey and/or Professor Cardinal? :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

Well, recently an incredibly deep and characterization-heavy question came up.

...in the Invocation universe where there was no Epic corruption, what are the chances of uncorrupted Jade Delancey, Sam Trattner, and Emma Runes collaborating on pranks against Daniel Dewhickey and/or Professor Cardinal? :ph34r:

100% of course. Theoretically.

Daniel is...Arsenal, right? And what's the Invocation universe?

3 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

Both. They team up and save Oregon.

Or... more of it than would be saved otherwise. Toph's heroics have a bit of a destructive side. :P

The thought of Toph with guns is actually terrifying. 

Almost as terrifying as her awesomeness turned up to eleven with the aid of Kokichi's powers. 

Just now, winter devotion said:

The thought of Toph with guns is actually terrifying. 

Almost as terrifying as her awesomeness turned up to eleven with the aid of Kokichi's powers. 

If Kokichi teamed up with David would he become literally invincible because of plot armor? :P

1 minute ago, breakingamber said:

No, he's just mostly invincible. He easily could've been killed by Obliteration... oh... 5 times?

And he wasn't why? With reasons that aren't "plawwwt?"

Whatever. I just don't like David as a character. Also, his name is so unsubtle. David and Goliath, much? 

Whatever. I just don't like David as a character. Also, his name is so unsubtle. David and Goliath, much? 

Well... I literally just noticed that.

Reminds me of a comedy show I saw once.

Spoiler

MAN: Alright, now, I'm going to show you the ropes. You see the little brown picture of a cow? That means... beef.

See the little orange wheel of cheese? That means.... cheese.

See the green head of lettuce? That means...

WOMAN: Lettuce?

MAN: I thought you said you never worked here before!

WOMAN: Well, it's just so obvious, Mr. <lastname>. You'd have to be an idiot not to understand that!

DIFFERENT WOMAN: It took me three weeks to learn it!

WOMAN: Um... what does the green head of lettuce mean again?

MAN: Lettuce!

2 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

Well... I literally just noticed that.

Reminds me of a comedy show I saw once.

Hide contents

MAN: Alright, now, I'm going to show you the ropes. You see the little brown picture of a cow? That means... beef.

See the little orange wheel of cheese? That means.... cheese.

See the green head of lettuce? That means...

WOMAN: Lettuce?

MAN: I thought you said you never worked here before!

WOMAN: Well, it's just so obvious, Mr. <lastname>. You'd have to be an idiot not to understand that!

DIFFERENT WOMAN: It took me three weeks to learn it!

WOMAN: Um... what does the green head of lettuce mean again?

MAN: Lettuce!

I didn't actually, but I always hated how formal and clunky it sounded. Then I thought it through.

Also the metaphor thing is an annoying gimmick. 

3 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

I'll have to reread that one, though I seem to recall there were some solid in-universe reasons for why he survived. One of them being Firefight's rescue, for the first attempt on his life. 

I actually liked David. His terrible metaphors/similes made him an endearingly adorkable protagonist, while he still remained competent enough to stand on his own with the Reckoners. His narration had a lot more personality than many first-person stories I've read, and the humor stemming from his bad metaphors (and the other characters' reactions to them) made a grimdark-with-an-emphasis-on-dark setting go down a lot easier. He changes his views as his understanding of Epics deepens, although he maintains that strong pragmatic streak that helped him survive the streets of Newcago in the first chaotic year of Steelheart's reign. 

I didn't actually, but I always hated how formal and clunky it sounded. Then I thought it through.

Also the metaphor thing is an annoying gimmick. 

I want to argue with you... but I have to agree. Metaphors in texts are usually more annoying than not, especially if you have to write an essay/analysis/analysis essay.

Also, that sketch was from the Tracey Ulman show. Just remembered.

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'll have to reread that one, though I seem to recall there were some solid in-universe reasons for why he survived. One of them being Firefight's rescue, for the first attempt on his life. 

I actually liked David. His terrible metaphors/similes made him an endearingly adorkable protagonist, while he still remained competent enough to stand on his own with the Reckoners. His narration had a lot more personality than many first-person stories I've read, and the humor stemming from his bad metaphors (and the other characters' reactions to them) made a grimdark-with-an-emphasis-on-dark setting go down a lot easier. He changes his views as his understanding of Epics deepens, although he maintains that strong pragmatic streak that helped him survive the streets of Newcago in the first chaotic year of Steelheart's reign. 

I guess the metaphor thing made the descriptions for the scenes kinda impossible to do in Sanderson's typical flowy style. I read it as a Sanderson book, not as a YA, and I love plenty (by which I mean approximately three) YA series, but there's a different standard. I wanted more detail in the setting and the fights had interesting ideas, but where was the purple text. I LOVE ME SOME LONG FLOWERY PROSE WITH TOO MANY ADJECTIVES AND METAPHORS. 

Also, that guy was way too obsessed with Megan's boobs and it made me really uncomfortable. Like, yeah, it's accurate to a teenaged boy's mind but did it really need to go unexamined?