Ark1002

On 3/24/2019 at 6:22 AM, I think I am here. said:

Max opened the door, and when he saw Devaan he smiled immediately. “Devaan! How are you?”

He opened the door and gestured for him to come inside. He had come back from the Canton earlier, and had changed into normal attire.

“Thea will be here soon,” he said. “Please, take a seat.”

Mentally he reached out to Althea. Devaan’s here.

Devaan smiled back, taking a seat and handing Max the bottle of whiskey. "This is for later. You know I can't hold my drink too well. So I think you two should have it" He told his pupil.

"You've come along far, by the way. Ghostblood council member and Canton leader! That's a lot of responsibilities"

@I think I am here.

@Sorana

Edited by Nohadon

Althea opened their door and stepped inside. She heard voices, but for a moment she simply closed the door and leaned against it, closed her eyes. The day had been hard, to say the least. Taking a few minutes to calm down, she then opened her eyes again and took off her shoes, before walking over to greet Max and Devaan.

A soft smile touched her lips when she saw Max, and she longed to simply go over, sit down on his lap, rest her head on his shoulder and stay in his arms for the rest of the evening, but instead she simply touched his shoulder in greeting, carefully hiding the rest of her emotions.

"Welcome."

She greeted Devaan warmly with a friendly, but somehow distached smile. She still wasn't sure how to behave around him, what he expected, what Max expected, and so she kept her mask, coloured it friendly and hoped she wasn't too far off.

"Did you think about what you want to eat?"

@I think I am here.

@Nohadon

"I'll be happy to cook!" Devaan told Althea. He laughed as he saw Max's face go pale.

"I'm kidding, I'm pretty horrible at it. I'm happy with whatever's easiest. We could try to get some take-out if no one feels like cooking anything"

A mailman knocked on the door and dropped off a black book with a note on it.

For Max, from Silphio.

It's Devaan's black book. I made two copies, one for you and one for Astiel. Attached is another black book. This one empty. I suggest we start documenting how we run the canton for future leaders, too.

@I think I am here.

@Sorana

Max laughed.

“I’m no Council Member, but thanks.”

Althea entered, and while she still looked beautiful, there was a hint of exhaustion. She sat and touched his shoulder, and Max smiled at her. He was so glad she was here, and Devaan was too. Now they could all talk to each other.

She smiled at Devaan and asked what he wanted to eat. Devaan suggested he cook, and Max laughed nervously.

“Yeah, nope.” He said jokingly. “I think I’ve actually developed a phobia of your cooking.”

He smiled at Althea in greeting, and relaxed in his seat. It was fine, he knew she didn’t like showing her emotions to people she didn’t know well. Hopefully it would happen naturally.

“I don’t actually think I’ve introduced you two,” he said, leaning forward. “Though I think you must have done that already, to organise this. But still, Thea, this is Devaan, and Devaan, this is Althea.”

@Nohadon

@Sorana

Edited by I think I am here.

Althea nodded.

"Yes, we introduced each other. But thanks."

She thought about what they had in their fringe for a moment and then proposed.

"I could cook something. A bit improvised and nothing complicated, I wanted to go to the supermarket, but work called. Would you two mind to help?"

Devaan had offered, so hopefully he wouldn't mind her asking. She paused when she remembered something else and reached out for Max.

Did you per chance clean the bathroom upstairs? I left it in a mess and - let's not show him that room please? There's blood everywhere. He could use the guest's toilet down here?

@Nohadon

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

36 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Did you per chance clean the bathroom upstairs? I left it in a mess and - let's not show him that room please? There's blood everywhere. He could use the guest's toilet down here?

I put a towel to some of it, Max replied. Though it’s still messy. Guest toilet sounds fine.

“Sure,” Max said, looking to her. “What do you need?”

"I'd be happy to help" Devaan told her with a grin. 

He watched the two of them carefully. Their eyes showed more than their words for some reason. Was there more to the conversation then Devaan though? No, that wouldn't be right, Devaan would notice if they were speaking in code. He decided to pay more attention to their body language and facial expresions as the conversation went on. He reflexively tried to tap zinc. Letting out a sigh, he realised he couldn't anymore. 

"We already talked back during the OASIS incident. I've got some trackers in Benson now, and some members tailing him and Vesuvius. I was running through some Katas with her. She seems to be pretty naturally talented, some more training and she could take you any day!" 

Dammit, I've got to stop talking about fighting so much. Althea probably isn't used to me doing that, although she did work with Hellbent, who's almost as obsessed.

I'm not obsessed with fighting. I'm obsessed with murdering scum like you

Suuuure

@Sorana

@I think I am here.

Edited by Nohadon

Max smiled and shrugged. “I don’t doubt it. I’m only a Rioter after all, how hard could I possibly be?” He said the last part with a twinkle in his eye. He was enjoying this. “I met with Astiel and Silph earlier, you know, and they’re going great, though they lost a pupil,” he said. “Silph wants you to fight this one kid, who’s apparently a prodigy in weapons or something.”

@Nohadon

@Sorana

Edited by I think I am here.

Relieved Althea smiled at Max.

Thanks. You're the best.

She answered and then listened to the conversation. Max was enjoying himself and that made her happy. She loved it when he was joking, when he relaxed.

"I didn't feel talented at all."

She remarked a bit too late, but continued to smile, relaxing slowly.

"I only need someone to cut some onions and tomatoes. And I don't want to end up alone in the kitchen, so maybe just keep me company?"

She answered and only then realized the other part of what Max had told. Lost a child? She closed her eyes for a moment, remembered that bloody heap in Shadesmar. Her smile froze and she stared at the table, pushed the memory away. It left her alone, but slowly, leaving her feeling sick.

@I think I am here.

@Nohadon

Edited by Sorana

Devaan noticed Althea's eyes fick over to Max's before she spoke.

"You're doing fine!" He replied, standing up.

"I'll help with the cutting."

2 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Max smiled and shrugged. “I don’t doubt it. I’m only a Rioter after all, how hard could I possibly be?” He said the last part with a twinkle in his eye. He was enjoying this. “I met with Astiel and Silph earlier, you know, and they’re going great, though they lost a pupil,” he said. “Silph wants you to fight this one kid, who’s apparently a prodigy in weapons or something.”

@Nohadon@Sorana

"Skill over power, Max, Skill over power" He repeated, his faveourite mantra, by far.

"They lost a pupil? damnation. how'd it happen? And A prodigy! I'd love to fight him"

Devaan looked around.

"Which way is the kitchen?"

“Some sort of gang Astiel used to be apart of attacked. This guy we thought who was dead took him in an explosion.”

Max looked to Althea to answer her question and saw her staring at the table, smile unflinching. Slowly he put a hand on her shoulder.

You okay? He whispered over the link. If you’re finding this stressful we could always reschedule.

“And the kitchen is that way,” Max said, pointing ahead and standing up, keeping his hand on Althea’s shoulder.

Devaan finally realised what was going on.

"Storms! How'd you two manage to build a cognitive link? Is it with your rings?" He exclaimed.

"It took me some time to realise." He quickly remembered what Max said earlier.

"The panthers? I thought they went underground after Astiel left. I made an agreement with Syndicate that he would stay out of alley city. Guess he decided to break it. I'll have to deal with them, then." 

He began walking towards the kitchen.

You okay? If you’re finding this stressful we could always reschedule.

Althea looked to Devaan walk towards the kitchen and stood up herself. She hesitated for a second, then threw her arms around Max and pulled herself close.

I'm sorry. No need to reschedule. I just had a hard day, that's all.

She whispered.

I indirectly killed a child, because I was stupid, I could have saved him, if I'd taken some time and looked at the facts, but I felt rushed and I hurried, and I forgot something. And then the whole thing with our army. And then there's my former self who jumped into the mix and I'm disgusted by the way I was, what I thought of people.

With a sigh she leaned her head against his chest.

Just hold me for a second, and then we should stop having a conversation our guest can't follow?

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

"I think life has been going pretty excellent, for the most part. I don't think anything special has happened to us recently, unless you count the twins, but ya'll already know about them." Silas glanced over at his wife with a conspiratorial look.

@Element of Chaos

@Blessing of Potency 

AAGH ITS FRICKING DOING IT AGAIN

Edited by JacobClaessen