Theory on Truthwatcher Spren

Eris

6 minutes ago, Invocation said:

We haven't seen them in the Cognitive yet, but Jasnah has talked to them, so they can at the very least speak somehow. Not a clue either way based on that, though, since Pattern can talk without an actual mouth.

True dat. I can't add anymore to that. 

7 minutes ago, Invocation said:

It is also possible that the foresight is just Renarin's resonance, the way Kaladin's is having a ton of squires. Renarin is one of the more interesting characters, to be sure, in addition to him being majorly important, to the point that Brando Sando has admitted that he is the important Kholin brother and that he hadn't fleshed out Adolin at all. Adolin was just a surprise character that he liked the perspective from, like you noted. Renarin absolutely is important (my money is on he ends up brokering something between the sides), and I'm excited to see more.

This is why I am so interested in Renarin's character. His abilities and who he is are just so enticing that I can't stop theorising possible things about him and his order

2 minutes ago, Eris said:

True dat. I can't add anymore to that. 

This is why I am so interested in Renarin's character. His abilities and who he is are just so enticing that I can't stop theorising possible things about him and his order

Yeah. His POV book is going to be amazing. Imagine the answers we'll get, being inside his head. Inevitably with a steaming helping of new questions, but who cares about that when we get to see more Renarin! Theories around an unknown element like him are always fun to make (and read, of course). Sanderson knows it. He did this on purpose.

2 minutes ago, Eris said:

I'm going to be so old when his book comes out but it will be worth it to have more about him. After Kaladin, Renarin is my favourite and will be promoted to favourite when I know more

Yeah, 7 is so far away when you consider the fact that Stones Unhallowed/Stormlight 4 might end up split in half due to sheer size.

1 minute ago, Eris said:

You right but you'd still get a lot more Renarin because I think with Venli becoming a Radiant, more about voidbringers will be introduced thus more of Renarin and the fishy situation with Glys

True, especially with Szeth's knowledge of all the surges probably bringing any oddities with how Renarin's behave to the forefront.

Just now, Eris said:

Oh I didn't realise Szeth did that. I think we need another truthwatcher to be able to compare Renarin to them to see how different they are so we can find where the corruption is

Szeth was a proto-Truthwatcher for a little bit, with the Honorblades, which is how he gained his knowledge in the first place. Szeth was someone special in his homeland pre-Truthless debacle, which honestly makes me excited in the short term for his book, but yeah, we do need another full Truthwatcher. Luckily, The Stump is on her way up to Urithuru to provide that healthy counterpoint.

Just now, Eris said:

I thought honour blades only gave you one surge to use not two but I may be wrong but having the stump there will be really helpful in determining the truthwatcher abilities

As far as we are aware, each blade grants both Surges, since they were the first version of the Radiant abilities. The Stormfather even refers to the Honorblade of Jezeriah as granting "abilities" plural, so presumably it's both, at a reduced-efficiency Stormlight consumption rate.

1 minute ago, Eris said:

I didn't know that or realise I should say but having Szeth as another anominlie (I can't spell it) it help even more in determining the strangeness of Glys and Renarin

True enough. More datapoints to note the oddities. For all we know, Sja-anat's corruption might have made Glys an older form of Truthwatcher or something interesting.

About Sja-anat, I don't feel like she is trying to ruin anything, I feel like she was literally "unmade" by Odium and she might be remembering who she was before the unmaking so to get back at him, she is helping the Radiants so she might have "corrupted" Glys but not in a way to hinder him. Because to me Glys appears pretty normal except for the colouring

1 minute ago, Eris said:

About Sja-anat, I don't feel like she is trying to ruin anything, I feel like she was literally "unmade" by Odium and she might be remembering who she was before the unmaking so to get back at him, she is helping the Radiants so she might have "corrupted" Glys but not in a way to hinder him. Because to me Glys appears pretty normal except for the colouring

For now, yes, Glys looks to have just been altered in color, but we don't know the depth. We haven't talking to Glys at all, seen his interactions with Renarin, and definitely haven't seen a Radiant/Truthwatcher-spren conversation other than Ym talking to his spren with no response. The corruption might run deeper but we won't know until we get more. That being said, it probably won't be all bad, honestly. The way Sja-anat refers to it as "Enlightening" makes me think all they're doing is coopting the spren's native Investiture and making is Odium's. That might even be the extent of it.

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

For now, yes, Glys looks to have just been altered in color, but we don't know the depth. We haven't talking to Glys at all, seen his interactions with Renarin, and definitely haven't seen a Radiant/Truthwatcher-spren conversation other than Ym talking to his spren with no response. The corruption might run deeper but we won't know until we get more. That being said, it probably won't be all bad, honestly. The way Sja-anat refers to it as "Enlightening" makes me think all they're doing is coopting the spren's native Investiture and making is Odium's. That might even be the extent of it.

I totally agree with that but we do see some interaction with Glys and Renarin and to me Glys seems just as anxious and insecure as Renarin is

Just now, Eris said:

I totally agree with that but we do see some interaction with Glys and Renarin and to me Glys seems just as anxious and insecure as Renarin is

We don't know if that's just Glys or if it's a characteristic of that form of spren. Likely that it's just Glys that's like that, since he probably knows what will happen if Renarin dies and was a bit offput that he was just gonna let it happen. Also possible is that he's like that for the same reason that he bonded Renarin: they're a lot alike. Nervous in many areas, inexperienced in what they want to be, and treated as outsiders for something they can't change. 

Glys just doesn't want to die, and I wouldn't count that as an example of his mannerisms the majority of the time.

3 minutes ago, Eris said:

I like what you're saying especially the outcast concept because in reality any of the spren could have been corrupted but having it be the outcast's spren actually enhances both of them as a character

Exactly! They build on each other in intricate ways and I love it!

1 minute ago, Eris said:

Boi, when the 4th book comes out we have to share all we can about Glys and Renarin and truthwatchers and just compile it all into this thread and just see the characterisation and building 

Probably have to be a different thread (necro rules and all that, considering 4 won't be out until 2020) but yeah, a thread studying Renarin through the books would be cool.

2 hours ago, Invocation said:

Szeth was a proto-Truthwatcher for a little bit, with the Honorblades, which is how he gained his knowledge in the first place. Szeth was someone special in his homeland pre-Truthless debacle, which honestly makes me excited in the short term for his book, but yeah, we do need another full Truthwatcher. Luckily, The Stump is on her way up to Urithuru to provide that healthy counterpoint.

A proto-Truthwatcher? Where did this come from?

Just now, Invocation said:

Mostly the proto part is because of the inefficient Stormlight usage, but he did say he trained with all of the Honorblades.

That doesn't really make him a proto-anything, though. Just someone who trained with an Honorblade. But I see what you mean now, thanks.

3 minutes ago, RShara said:

A proto-Truthwatcher? Where did this come from?

What he means is that Szeth has trained with all the honour blades before so he knows how they work so theoretically he would have trained to used the honour blade of a truthwatcher. I didn't realise the honour blades were order based rather than surge based which makes sense

17 hours ago, Eris said:

What he means is that Szeth has trained with all the honour blades before so he knows how they work so theoretically he would have trained to used the honour blade of a truthwatcher. I didn't realise the honour blades were order based rather than surge based which makes sense

Yes each order has two surges so they practice with both surges per blade.