Spren of the sun

Ripheus23

So now the sun is actually a star, but I'm not sure that average Rosharans are keen on this, so I wonder if there would be a difference between the spren of the Rosharan sun, and starspren. Szeth refers to the sun as "the god of gods" which got me thinking about possible moonspren, the Sibling, and all, not that I was able to hypothetically infer anything from it all, except that maybe the spren of the sun is the Sibling.

Actually, hmm...

Here's a nifty guess:

Nightwatcher = Spren of Roshar the planet

Stormfather = Spren of Roshar's moons (their gravity causes ocean tides that cause the highstorms)

The Sibling = Spren of the sun

EDIT: Also, I wonder if the Rosharan moons are colored differently due to an at least surface preponderance of corresponding-color gemstones. IIRC (I just read the section so I hope I'm remembering it correctly!) Kaladin says that one of the moons has a sapphire color. Sapphire is the polestone for air, which is a major part of highstorms. However, there's a violet moon and none of the polestones seem to be predominantly violet unless smokestone somehow counted (I don't know what smokestone is supposed to look like) and emeralds, the main green type, are the polestone for pulp, which doesn't seem too highstorm-y.

Edited by Ripheus23

I like the whole "Moons make highstorms" theory. On the Roshar system map, the moon's orbits look fairly eccentric. Perhaps the way the orbits work out...

Crazy theory time: A highstorm occurs when all three moons are at the lowest points in their orbit, and the continent of Roshar is correctly positioned via the planet's spin. This seems unlikely, though, considering the potential window in which this event could occur. It might also happen when only two moons are at the lowest point in their orbits, which seems more likely.

(Be glad I forgot the technical terms when I wrote this and used layman's terms instead)

The moons orbits are exceptionally quick and regular, if unstable. Each night the moos pass by in the sky sequentially. 

The moons can't be a trigger from certain points in their orbits. If that were the case, whatever they trigger would happen every night at roughly the same time. 

6 hours ago, Calderis said:

The moons can't be a trigger from certain points in their orbits. If that were the case, whatever they trigger would happen every night at roughly the same time. 

Maybe they do, but there's a delay between whatever they do, and the production of a highstorm, such that when Cusicesh looks towards the Origin at the same time every morning, it's looking towards that "delayed reaction."

• Chaos locked this topic