Era 2 Plot Theories

SwordNimiForPresident

I have two conflicting theories about how Era 2 will play out and would love to hear what others think.

Theory 1: Marsh will be attacked & killed. Before he dies he will give Wax his Allomantic Atium spike & his secret stash. Wax will go Grammaton Cleric on the enemy & wipe out an army single handedly.

Theory 2: Ranette will get spiked by the Set early in the book. They will track down the killer & recover the spike. It will become necessary for Wax to use the spike on himself to save the day. Bonus points if Wax is having an internal struggle about the moral implications & Wayne spikes him to settle it. Double bonus points if he says "she would have wanted you to have it".

Theory 1 sounds cool & matches the expected title of the book. I like theory 2 more because it would be more painful to lose Ranette (even though Marsh is one of my favorites) & it would make Wax feel more "complete" in terms of his powers. He would have both halves of the external physical metals. He would also be an Iron compounder which frankly would make him a god when combined with his pushes. He would also gain half steelsight like Kelsier if he gets it in the eye.

20 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I have two conflicting theories about how Era 2 will play out and would love to hear what others think.

Theory 1: Marsh will be attacked & killed. Before he dies he will give Wax his Allomantic Atium spike & his secret stash. Wax will go Grammaton Cleric on the enemy & wipe out an army single handedly.

Theory 2: Ranette will get spiked by the Set early in the book. They will track down the killer & recover the spike. It will become necessary for Wax to use the spike on himself to save the day. Bonus points if Wax is having an internal struggle about the moral implications & Wayne spikes him to settle it. Double bonus points if he says "she would have wanted you to have it".

Theory 1 sounds cool & matches the expected title of the book. I like theory 2 more because it would be more painful to lose Ranette (even though Marsh is one of my favorites) & it would make Wax feel more "complete" in terms of his powers. He would have both halves of the external physical metals. He would also be an Iron compounder which frankly would make him a god when combined with his pushes. He would also gain half steelsight like Kelsier if he gets it in the eye.

Well we know Marsh is going to be important in the next trilogy (before the space opera) so theory 1 is out the window. As for theory 2, we're not sure how the Set's hemalurgic spikes work, but I wouldn't be a huge fan of this, especially if it's primarily just a Wax power-up. We've seen plenty of godlike allomancy and use of massive amounts of investiture already (especially on Scadrial), and I think one of the things that makes Wax so interesting is that the 1st Mistborn trilogy primed us to think that mistings were relatively weak, but he shows how mastery of one skill can be incredibly useful, especially when combined with feruchemy. 

I didn't know about Marsh in the next series, so thanks for the heads up there (so many WoBs out there and I've only read a few).

As for the other, I feel like Hemalurgy is going to have to come into play as a tool for the good guys at some point. Like Spook said, "If we don't use it, someone else will". You make a good point about mistings seeming weak until Wax came along, but keep in mind that he hasn't had to go up against anything as dangerous as a Mistborn. While I don't doubt that he would put up a good fight against one, I still feel confident that he would stand little to no chance of winning. I do think that, given his mastery of steel, Wax would be able to jump into iron very easily and it would undeniably make him imminently more threatening. You should also keep in mind that I'm a chronic fanboy of overpowered heroes. As an example, Superman and Thor are my favorite heroes from their respective universes, so maybe this is all just me projecting what I want into the story.

• Chaos locked this topic