Mortal Engines

9 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I want to see it, but I have been hearing so many bad things I thought to wait until it comes in at the library. What did you like about it?

Most of it. I havent read the book (yet, I got it for christmas now), but I really liked Hesters character arc, I liked the story around Shrike, I enjoyed Hugo Weavings performance (and because of that, I enjoyed his character as well). I think the movie successfully created a very immersive world, and the visuals were stunning. The opening sequence was hands doen the best chase scene I have seen anywhere, ever. I enjoyed the twists in the story as well. 

I ignored all those bad reviews and went to see it. It's definitely a flawed movie...but I loved it!

Shrike and Hester's relationship made me tear up--I thought the flashbacks were used amazingly--and the worldbuilding was great.

I just read the book about a week ago. There are some things I prefer in the movie, such as Shrike's character and Hester's arc, but the book was really good. The worldbuilding was just as good, characters got more screen time(such as Katherine), and there were other cool aspects such as the deeper dive into London's guilds. 

22 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

I ignored all those bad reviews and went to see it. It's definitely a flawed movie...but I loved it!

Shrike and Hester's relationship made me tear up--I thought the flashbacks were used amazingly--and the worldbuilding was great.

I just read the book about a week ago. There are some things I prefer in the movie, such as Shrike's character and Hester's arc, but the book was really good. The worldbuilding was just as good, characters got more screen time(such as Katherine), and there were other cool aspects such as the deeper dive into London's guilds. 

Agreed. I thought the flashbacks with Hester and Shrike were amazing.

Welcome to the Shard btw!

• 1 year later...

I might be just a tad late in commenting on mortal engines, but I had to put my thoughts somewhere :P. I remember seeing trailers for the movie a lot, which is what originally got me interested. I assumed the plot wouldn't be spectacular, but I still liked the worldbuilding a ton and thought that it would be a cool series to read first, so I actually got them this Christmas and am already finished. Overall I liked it a lot, and look forward to seeing the movie with my cousin @Truthless of Shinovar, who I also pulled into reading the series!

16 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I’m on book three baby!!

I’m also on book three!

But also, I have been for the last nine months or so. I just couldn’t handle Reeve’s writing anymore...

I loved the movie though, despite what the critics say about it.

11 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

I’m also on book three!

But also, I have been for the last nine months or so. I just couldn’t handle Reeve’s writing anymore...

I loved the movie though, despite what the critics say about it.

Ya, I agree about Reeve's writing. It's somewhat entertaining, but at the same time it's just not the same as Brandon's books. I read Starsight not long after finishing book 4 and remembered what really good writing is like.

Edit: and yes! We are related! It's actually Truthless who introduced me to the 17th shard.

Edited by Rosharan A.C.

22 minutes ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

Ya, I agree about Reeve's writing. It's somewhat entertaining, but at the same time it's just not the same as Brandon's books. I read Starsight not long after finishing book 4 and remembered what really good writing is like.

It was really the writing and the love triangles that put me off. The worldbuilding, on the other hand, was super cool.