The Song of the Last Summer

Ripheus23

The current working title is "Song of Changes."

As it's a listener/singer focused book, it being titled after the listener songs is not surprising and somewhat expected. The listener songs are their books, as they were a culture with an oral history. 

I'm still partial to "Song of Secrets" but I think it's either going to stay with the working title or a new song. 

57 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Feels like "A memory of Light" sorta title. Like a finale. I always thought the Book 4 title would be Eila Stele. 

Like Calderis said above, it’s much more likely that it’ll be one of the Songs. Eila Stele wouldn’t grab potential new readers’ attention that much, and something like “Song of Secrets” would be much easier to pronounce and remember. 

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Like Calderis said above, it’s much more likely that it’ll be one of the Songs. Eila Stele wouldn’t grab potential new readers’ attention that much, and something like “Song of Secrets” would be much easier to pronounce and remember. 

I agree, but at the same time, I'm a little worried about the "Song of X" format, if only because it makes Oathbringer stick out more*. The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, and now Songs of X...it just feels a little like Brandon had a pattern, broke it, and then is going right back to it. This could all change, but that's just a little of what I'm worried about. Also, the Eila Stele title came from last year, when we didn't know the working title yet. Now that we do...well, titles and things can change over the creation process. Either way, I'm sure I'll love the title in the end. 

*And yes, I know a potential title for Oathbringer was Highprince of War. But even that kept the thematic naming. Stones Unhallowed - assuming that title is kept - would break the trend again, but honestly I'd rather not go back to it right away. That's why I'll fight the "Songs of X" format for now. 

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

As it's a listener/singer focused book, it being titled after the listener songs is not surprising and somewhat expected. The listener songs are their books, as they were a culture with an oral history. 

I hadn't thought of that. Upvote time.

11 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I agree, but at the same time, I'm a little worried about the "Song of X" format, if only because it makes Oathbringer stick out more*. The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, and now Songs of X...it just feels a little like Brandon had a pattern, broke it, and then is going right back to it. This could all change, but that's just a little of what I'm worried about. Also, the Eila Stele title came from last year, when we didn't know the working title yet. Now that we do...well, titles and things can change over the creation process. Either way, I'm sure I'll love the title in the end. 

*And yes, I know a potential title for Oathbringer was Highprince of War. But even that kept the thematic naming. Stones Unhallowed - assuming that title is kept - would break the trend again, but honestly I'd rather not go back to it right away. That's why I'll fight the "Songs of X" format for now. 

I mean, I understand what you’re saying, but I don't think it’s really that much of a problem. There was a pattern of “X of X” titles, but with only two pieces of data, that’s more a coincidence and less an actual pattern. In the long-run, this isn’t really that big of a deal. Brandon will choose whatever title he wants, and the naming pattern is already broken anyway.

Based on previous books, the in world book that book 4 will be named after has not appeared yet. Words of Radiance, I think, did not show up until its namesake book. Same with Oathbringer and obviously Way of Kings. So if he keeps the pattern he will introduce something we haven't seen yet. Perhaps an forgotten parshendi song?

• Chaos locked this topic