Which major character(s) do you think will die by end of series?

TequilaJack

I've felt like Dalinar has had an axe over his head since the beginning of the series. I don't see him lasting to the end. He's, so far, my favourite character. I am however holding out secret hope that he will ascend instead of dying. Either way I see him getting "written out" of major players by the end of the first 5 book arc.

Dunno about Navani. Actually just going off gut-instinct I'd say she doesn't. She has a tie in with fabrial technology and I see that technology progressing as the books do. Brandon understands that, unlike say Steven Erikson's Malazan books, it's a tough sell for an iron-age to last 100,000 years... In that vein of thought, I see fabrial techology having a huge impact. Navani seems to be leading the charge on that forefront. I could see her sticking around to keep that end of things moving. Pure conjecture though.

Does Shallan's burgeoning multiple personalities disorder count? Cause I can see/hope for, them dying off. =/ (I dun like her much.) I don't see her or Kaladin dying off however.

Szeth. Maybe... a peaceful end to his tortured arc would be a satisfactory conclusion.

Lift butt-sliding off a cliff to her death for a twinkie seems likely. (...)

Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor (And yes I just typed that out from memory lol) is definitely not on the dying list. Just nope. *shakes head* Nope.

Teft. Yeah... :(

Sigzid, nope. He has a whole new world to start singing about shortly.

Be hilarious if Taravangian didn't die.

Here's another, you think Moash will die or get redeemed? After his most recent exploits I'm aiming at "dead" but redemption is a pretty potent (and starting to be prolific) "out" for BS villainy.

51 minutes ago, Dalakaar said:

Here's another, you think Moash will die or get redeemed? After his most recent exploits I'm aiming at "dead" but redemption is a pretty potent (and starting to be prolific) "out" for BS villainy.

My guess is he'll die but thanks to the strange death of the Drunk Begger and that Moash holds his Honorblade, Moash is now a Herald and will end up in Damnation being tortured for all eternity.  He redeems himself by not giving in like Odium thinks/hopes he will.

• 1 year later...

Kaladin is dead, his entire character is literally everyone else dies around him and he can’t stop it. That plus the entire philosophy of journey before destination screams heroic sacrifice the story of fleet is the exact same as the story of like noble six, the fight for the fight itself with the end not really mattering. Plus the way kaladin is with fighting it’s like a borderline drug for him and when he really gets into it he is barely human. 

my point is if any philosophy ever justified journey before destination it’s that of the knights radiant And kaladin is like jasnah and dalinar in that he just overshadows anyone else around. Jasnah had to be removed for shallan to progress and it’s pretty hard to develop new problems when kaladin can show up and kill everything on the battlefield alone, he has taken on at least 12 fused while protecting dalinar and fighting an unmade with 3 shards while having a depressive episode. Imagine him having shardplate and whatever being 5th ideal gives you he subordinates everyone around him and warps their character arcs to be in relation to him just like dalainr and jasnah, adolin spent 3 books being defined by his father, shallan spent 2 being defined by jasnah, and nobody seems to have broken from kaladin yet.  
now a more elegant solution would be to have syl sacrifice herself for some reason whcih allows him to stay as a behind the lines leader but still grow and be around for us to enjoy.

2 hours ago, Valigus said:

a more elegant solution would be to have syl sacrifice herself for some reason which allows him to stay as a behind the line's leader but still grow and be around for us to enjoy.

NO! Nonononononono! Don't even say that.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:56 PM, Dalakaar said:

Does Shallan's burgeoning multiple personalities disorder count? Cause I can see/hope for, them dying off. =/ (I dun like her much.)

No, it does not and you should feel ashamed you cancerous ham.

Characters I don't think will die are Daliner, as he is probably going to ascend, Navani, as she can help progress technology, Jasnah, as her character can still be used, Shallan, cuz I don't see how that would complete her arc,  and Lift, cuz BS likes her too much

Szeth, maybe though I feel death while satisfying isn't where he's going, and Kaladin, which is much more likely.

2 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Shallan is somewhat naive, but wonderful, okay?

no, she's easily the worst but that's not the point of the thread.

I want Shallan to die with all my heart but Brandon won't do it, I doubt any major character will die before the end of the book/arc/series because let's be honest Brandon doesn't exactly have a track record of killing characters that should have died.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I want Shallan to die with all my heart but Brandon won't do it, I doubt any major character will die before the end of the book/arc/series because let's be honest Brandon doesn't exactly have a track record of killing characters that should have died.

Mistborn Spoilers:

Spoiler

Except Kelsier

Secret History Spoilers:

Spoiler

But guess what he did not die so I guess your statement still stands.

Now for my personal opinion Adolin seems to give off a "Kill Me Please" vibe. (But I don't want that to happen)

REEEAAAAALLLLLLY want Jasnah to actually die but I know that's probably not going to happen.

10 minutes ago, Frustration said:

No, she's not, I don't get why people hate her so much. And excuse me, a track record for not killing characters. You mean like

Spoiler

Vin, Elend, Clubs, Twindel, Eshonai, Dockson

Yes, he has two examples of not letting a character die,

Spoiler

Kelsier and Wax

but that's not a trend.

Just saying syl could totally be dead, but kaladin needs to be out of action in the early part of rhythm of war it’s already happening because simply put he is too capable same reason we can’t have dalinar going full blackthorn on the front line

also adolin is the Dockson equivalent to both shallan and kaladin I love him but he is so dead

speaking of which coudl a spren take up a shard

Edited by Valigus

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

No, she's not, I don't get why people hate her so much. And excuse me, a track record for not killing characters. You mean like

Reveal hidden contents

Vin, Elend, Clubs, Twindel, Eshonai, Dockson

MB

Spoiler

Elend and Vin only died at the end and the others where side characters.

So yes, no major deaths

46 minutes ago, Frustration said:

MB

Reveal hidden contents

Elend and Vin only died at the end and the others where side characters.

So yes, no major deaths

You're moving the goalpost. You said characters that should have died, and so what it's at the end? Lots of major character deaths happen at the end. This isn't TLJ.

5 hours ago, Valigus said:

Kaladin is dead, his entire character is literally everyone else dies around him and he can’t stop it. That plus the entire philosophy of journey before destination screams heroic sacrifice the story of fleet is the exact same as the story of like noble six, the fight for the fight itself with the end not really mattering. Plus the way kaladin is with fighting it’s like a borderline drug for him and when he really gets into it he is barely human. 

Sacrificing himself at the end is totally something Kaladin would do, but I don't think it would finish his character arc enough for it to happen. We already know he's willing, and he's already basically done it, like with Shallan in the chasms, so it doesn't really add anything or show character growth. The scene at the end of Oathbringer where he's saved is especially good because it's breaking from the norm of Kaladin saving everyone.

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

You're moving the goalpost. You said characters that should have died, and so what it's at the end? Lots of major character deaths happen at the end. This isn't TLJ.

killing a character at the very end is the easiest way to do it, the safe out, I want some middle to beginning deaths, that's what I'm going for and quite honestly Brandon just isn't the kind of author to do it.

Just now, Frustration said:

killing a character at the very end is the easiest way to do it, the safe out, I want some middle to beginning deaths, that's what I'm going for and quite honestly Brandon just isn't the kind of author to do it.

Again, Clubs, Dockson, Twidnyl. You're asking him to kill the very main character, the one everything centers on, before the end. That doesn't work. You seem to have some very high expectations on that. He killed Elkolar. What do you want him to do, kill Daliner before he progresses as a character? He can't just kill a character without thinking about their narrative arc. The death has to go somewhere, and some deaths just aren't worth doing in the middle.

17 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Again, Clubs, Dockson, Twidnyl. You're asking him to kill the very main character, the one everything centers on, before the end. That doesn't work. You seem to have some very high expectations on that. He killed Elkolar. What do you want him to do, kill Daliner before he progresses as a character? He can't just kill a character without thinking about their narrative arc. The death has to go somewhere, and some deaths just aren't worth doing in the middle.

WoA

Spoiler

Elend so could have died, no problem, but we can't have that... he's a main character

Again all minor characters every one of them.

7 hours ago, Frustration said:

WoA

Reveal hidden contents

Elend so could have died, no problem, but we can't have that... he's a main character

Again all minor characters every one of them.

Vin's character is heavily tied to her relationship with Elend. Killing him then may not be the best move and may take away from the story. You have to think about whether or not killing a character will improve the story. And again, there are only two to three main characters in a book! Killing even one of them properly is difficult because even you can do it satisfyingly, you have to think about the other characters and future plot, and you may decide that it's just not worth it.

57 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Vin's character is heavily tied to her relationship with Elend. Killing him then may not be the best move and may take away from the story. You have to think about whether or not killing a character will improve the story. And again, there are only two to three main characters in a book! Killing even one of them properly is difficult because even you can do it satisfyingly, you have to think about the other characters and future plot, and you may decide that it's just not worth it.

Any death that can be properly executed is worth it.