Star Wars Ep 9 The Rise of Skywalker

Briar King

So these past few weeks I've been keeping up with the main leaks (and what an adventure that has been), but most things in them actually have turned me off to the movie...so when a different leaker who got their hands on the visual dictionary called the main leaker a liar, I really got excited for this movie.

The trailers haven't been doing much for me, but every full scene I see ("they can fly now?!" "Does she do that to us?") has really hyped me up for this movie. I think it'll be a blast. 

Ok my expectations were low, but this movie is tragic. I'm so sad to see this trilogy having such a rust ending. As someone who deeply loved and supported most of Disney works on SW I must say this is the first time they made a movie I really disliked :(

Absolutley nothing on this makes sense. There are good ideas, but the movie is mostly frenetic action and fanservice. There isn't room for a deeper character development, the movie seems very bad edited too, with very abrupt cuts and confusing narrative. It sounds much more like a Transformers movie lmao

I won't say anything further, cause it would be lot of spoilers and I will watch it again on Friday and create a stronger opinion about this one, but only because I already bought tickets because honestly based on today I don't know if I really want to watch this again 

11 hours ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

Ok my expectations were low, but this movie is tragic. I'm so sad to see this trilogy having such a rust ending. As someone who deeply loved and supported most of Disney works on SW I must say this is the first time they made a movie I really disliked :(

Absolutley nothing on this makes sense. There are good ideas, but the movie is mostly frenetic action and fanservice. There isn't room for a deeper character development, the movie seems very bad edited too, with very abrupt cuts and confusing narrative. It sounds much more like a Transformers movie lmao

I won't say anything further, cause it would be lot of spoilers and I will watch it again on Friday and create a stronger opinion about this one, but only because I already bought tickets because honestly based on today I don't know if I really want to watch this again 

If it's any consolation, some of the reviewers (and non-U.S. fans) who've had the chance to see it twice have stated that their opinions improved on the second viewing. 

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

Ugh you don’t need another thread for this movie. That’s what this ones for.

Sorry, I just didn’t want to spoil anything for people who weren’t seeing the midnight premiere and wanted to do some last minute speculating:D

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

Saw it last night! I have...thoughts. A LOT of thoughts. Some good, some bad, some in the middle. Overall, I thought it was good, but not great. A fun, if somewhat forgettable ride. I laughed, but barely remember at what. I liked how the characters were portrayed here versus TLJ, but it still wasn't enough. The visuals were stunning, but the plot makes less and less sense the more you think about it. 

But, like the Disney era of Lucasfilm, is balance. TROS isn't balanced between TFA and TLJ. It's counterbalanced by The Mandalorian. One gives us pretty much everything "we the fans" want, but none of the satisfaction; the other gives us nothing we want but is enjoyable all the way through. I'll try to work it more in depth later. 

One of my letdowns

personally I was very underwhelmed with the space battle. There was a moment when this should have been lit and it just wasn’t for me. I really wanted some capital ship slug outs and I can’t remember any. Was mostly a dogfight. Will focus more on background next watch. And why didn’t Ben give a last command to his fleet to attack Exegal fleet? Hmm I sure was expecting to see them there.

12 minutes ago, Briar King said:

One of my letdowns

Reveal hidden contents

personally I was very underwhelmed with the space battle. There was a moment when this should have been lit and it just wasn’t for me. I really wanted some capital ship slug outs and I can’t remember any. Was mostly a dogfight. Will focus more on background next watch. And why didn’t Ben give a last command to his fleet to attack Exegal fleet? Hmm I sure was expecting to see them there.

Spoiler

I think because at that time they were already integrated with the Sith Fleet, and under the command of Admiral Pryde. 

I loved the movie, though I'll admit it has its problems.

Thoughts:

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

I really enjoyed both Rey and Ben's arcs, as well as the little tidbits we had with Finn and Poe. Jannah and Zorri were great additions to the movie(so was Babu Frik, who is way better than Baby Yoda). Lando was delightful, for what little we saw of him. I also LOVED the end scene, which balanced calling to the past and looking to the future by mirroring the end of Return of the Jedi, while having Rey take on the mantle of Skywalker--which I consider a title now, not a family name--and getting a sweet yellow lightsaber--which is some super niche symbolism that I think only I understood out of everyone in the packed theater. Not to mention the music, which was absolutely incredible.

One of my issues with the movie is that I feel some elements lacked gravitas, specifically: The Final Order fleet and the Knights of Ren. This complaint didn't extend--for me, at least--to the most important part of the movie, which is obviously the struggle between Rey, Ben, and Palpatine. I'm not sure how this could have been avoided, but I think it's a product of the movie's breakneck pace and the mash of easter eggs taking up a lot of space.

Another issue: some of the dialogue was cheesy. It wasn't awful, but I noticed it.

But the largest issue is more a problem with the trilogy as a whole than just this movie: the absence of cohesion between movies. I hope Disney learns their lesson and actually plans the story out next time. While I love all three movies in the sequel trilogy, I feel that something went missing in the battle between J.J. and Rian. For future Star Wars movies, they should really take some time and do a little outlining; we, as Sanderfans, know how a proper plan can enhance a story. They are bringing in Kevin Feige to produce a Star Wars movie, and while I don't expect him to turn the franchise into a gigantic MCU-esque story, I hope with him having a hand in the future of Star Wars, we get a bit of direction.

Even though I had some problems with it, I still loved Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. It could have been better, but frankly, I'm satisfied. I can't wait to watch it again!

All hail Babu Frik.

Negativity aside, those numbers are not exactly promising. Though they are good, they still a 17% drop from TLJ. It would imply in a box office of only a bit over 1,1 billion. Not a flop absolutely speaking, but a disappointment relatively speaking 

I'm expecting a bit better word of mouth to this one, so it may close a bit over 1.2 billion