Star Wars Ep 9 The Rise of Skywalker

Briar King

I love the fact that Ian McDiarmid is returning as the Emperor. If they do this correctly, they can fix almost all the plot problems in The Force Awakens and to a lesser degree, The Last Jedi.

There's a story in Star Wars Legends where Palpatine is revealed to have survived by possessing bodies with his spirit until he finally decays. If JJ canonizes this, he could explain why Snoke exists. And how Starkiller Base was built. And how the First Order exists. Let's say Palpatine ordered the construction of not just the first two Death Stars, but Starkiller Base in the prequel trilogy. After his death, his spirit just possesses another body, Snoke. Snoke/Palpatine would then oversee the finishing constructions on Starkiller Base as well as gather the remaining Empire forces to create the First Order.

I really hope this is the case. (Also LANDO HYPE)

1 hour ago, Captains Domon said:

There's a story in Star Wars Legends where Palpatine is revealed to have survived by possessing bodies with his spirit until he finally decays. If JJ canonizes this, he could explain why Snoke exists. And how Starkiller Base was built. And how the First Order exists. Let's say Palpatine ordered the construction of not just the first two Death Stars, but Starkiller Base in the prequel trilogy. After his death, his spirit just possesses another body, Snoke. Snoke/Palpatine would then oversee the finishing constructions on Starkiller Base as well as gather the remaining Empire forces to create the First Order.

That's a popular one. I'm more a fan of the "clone" theory, where Palpatine does the same thing but with his own clones, to ensure he had access to the Force still.

1 hour ago, Pagliacci said:

If there's one thing I don't want it's dark side force ghosts. My understanding has always been that the tragedy of Sith Lords is that they all seek immortality but they can never obtain it.

Sith ghosts were a thing in Legends, after a fashion. Palpatine actually did gain the ability in that story. Transfer essence, allowing them to haunt an area (generally their tomb) and possess people who come near if they want. Just read the Wiki page, I didn't actually remember that until I looked it up following the laugh. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Transfer_essence

16 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Sith ghosts were a thing in Legends, after a fashion. Palpatine actually did gain the ability in that story. Transfer essence, allowing them to haunt an area (generally their tomb) and possess people who come near if they want. Just read the Wiki page, I didn't actually remember that until I looked it up following the laugh. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Transfer_essence

Also Holocrons as well I guess were kinda similar. Was transfer essence what Darth Bane tried on Darth Zannah?

Fair enough. Still, from a thematic point of view I feel it makes more sense for the Sith to be incapable of gaining immortality. 

Just now, Pagliacci said:

Also Holocrons as well I guess were kinda similar. Was transfer essence what Darth Bane tried on Darth Zannah?

Yeah, I think so. 

Just now, Pagliacci said:

Fair enough. Still, from a thematic point of view I feel it makes more sense for the Sith to be incapable of gaining immortality. 

To be fair, at least there was a strong chance you fail and get tossed into Chaos for the Sith. It wasn't easy like the Jedi had, so it fits in with the Sith thing as a perversion of the typical light side way.

10 minutes ago, Invocation said:

To be fair, at least there was a strong chance you fail and get tossed into Chaos for the Sith. It wasn't easy like the Jedi had, so it fits in with the Sith thing as a perversion of the typical light side way.

That's an interesting way of looking at it actually.

19 minutes ago, Pagliacci said:

That's an interesting way of looking at it actually.

It's the way of thinking of it from the perspective of the movie's camera. We see the light side almost solely, thus, it is typical.

Completely disregarding the fact that they're both perversions of the middle-ground route which is all around better, allowing you to be the balance, instead of interfering with it.

Edited by Invocation

On 4/12/2019 at 9:47 PM, Invocation said:

That's a popular one. I'm more a fan of the "clone" theory, where Palpatine does the same thing but with his own clones, to ensure he had access to the Force still.

They could do that and just say that Snoke was a malformed clone or something

2 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

They could do that and just say that Snoke was a malformed clone or something

That's probably the plan, if they go that direction.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

It will be epic if we get an unblemished Palps(ugh since GL made the Force corruption null with that stupid lightning crap in Ep3) clone.

Just Sith yellow eyes. Wow yes please 

Yeah, that would be cool.

11 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I love what we got. The movie looks awesome, and Palps returning is intriguing. I wish they had put Thrawn in this one though... 

Who said Thrawn isn’t in it?

I am incredibly excited for this movie. Lando is going to be amazing, as is Leia, and the main cast will be as lovable as ever. I’m intrigued to see where JJ takes Rose; he said during the panel at Star Wars Celebration that casting Kelly Marie was the best thing Rian did.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

I agree with this! I loved Clone Wars, so the news about Season 7 got me excited.

I love Clone Wars.  Hope that we get Ahsoka's origin story and walkabout!

I did not like TLJ it felt wired like they were overburning good materiel and the plot did not feel cohesive.  Also Rose why was she there exactly?  And the bravos and the conflicting messages, and Luke mocking the force.  Sigh.  I never thought Star Wars was supposed to be original or different.  The first one had the most cliche plot ever and we all loved it anyway.  That being said I hope they do better next time.

Edited by Karger

On 4/12/2019 at 5:40 PM, IcaroRibeiro said:

Loved the trailer

Please less The Force Awakens and more The Last Jedi!

On 4/12/2019 at 6:23 PM, Pagliacci said:

Yup.

Don't want to turn this into a TLJ flame war, as I don't actually hate the movie,but I'm curious why y'all like it more than TFA.

26 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

In my opinion, Star Wars paved the way for the plot structure to become cliche. The hero's journey is even more common today.

Hero's journey incredibly old and it spans most cultures.  Lucas based Star Wars off a book called The Hero With 1000 Faces.

59 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Don't want to turn this into a TLJ flame war, as I don't actually hate the movie,but I'm curious why y'all like it more than TFA.

I'll put the flamethrower away then. I think it all comes down to the intentions of the films. I feel TFA worked well to endear us to the new characters and set up the larger story, I just feel it relied a little too much on the classic imagery and story of the previous films. TLJ seemed to be more eager to expand the thematic canvas of Star Wars (granted, it didn't always do this well.) I like both movies for different reasons, but I'd rather another TLJ to another TFA. Still looking forward to how JJ Abrams resolves the trilogy.