Koloss Head Munching Day 2018

Ashertliden

7 minutes ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

It's released for free online with currently no plans to publish and sell it. As of now, it's free labor and only counts as a tax write-off.

We all ready know Brandon switches projects frequently to recharge. That implicit compromise is entered by the readers with the understanding that that will lead to some works of quality for what they really want. Of course, it's starting to look like that might not be the case. As was noted before, Oathbringer is viewed as a bit of a drop in quality. And that's when he committed to writing the book! The Lost Metal now seems like more of a burden to him since he preferred to write for free instead of on it with a tone-deaf "all is not lost!" when he made a mild possible commitment to maybe write it while taking a break from SA4.

First off, OB is not considered a dip in quality by everyone. I know of people who loved the book. For me personally, I mostly have issues with what the book chose to focus on, and I feel like that was the case for a lot of people (well, that and the love triangle, which was always bound to be problematic). OB has some of the best scenes and arcs in Brandons writing career, so its not bad by any means.

As for TLM, he has said that he is excited about it, and his preference to write for free most likely came because he got a shot at doing something in a universe he has been a super-fan of forever. It wasn’t just a random side project. Saying that TLM is a burden to him because of that is reading too much into the situation. 

17 hours ago, Rasarr said:

Quite frankly, I'd be more interested Venli flashbacks. Eshonai didn't know what was truly going on until it was far too late. Venli was implied to have been working with Ullim for a while - even before Gavilar's death, perhaps. So, even if we're stuck with Eshonai flashbacks, I'd still like to see some Venli POVs. That, or what @What's a Seawolf? suggested in the spoiler tags.

Honestly, I get it, but I kind of disagree with both points. Before the events of the books, Venli was working in a lab and taking care of her mother, and then she got tricked/indoctrinated by a voidspren into working for Odium (and this seems like it only even happened either just before or even at the beginning of the main events of WoK, so it isn't really much of an arc for a flashback) after which she continued to work in a lab. Meanwhile, Eshonai is described as having been a semi-rebellious child who loved to explore, and was part of the group that first made contact with and established an agreement with Gavilar, right at the time when he started acting weird. And as for the spoilered thing, I think that it would just serve to cheapen the death (and give credence to all future "but maybe they didn't die...recovering in TAHITI...maybe nobody that we like will actually die for real" type theories), something that Brandon seems to be very wary of, especially after Secret History and Jasnah, as well as add an unnecessary element to an already complex fictional world. Honestly, as a fan of the character I would love it if Eshonai had never died, but as a fan of the books I can see that it added a sense of seriousness and risk to the story, as well as made room for Venli to work as a complex viewpoint character.

14 minutes ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

We all ready know Brandon switches projects frequently to recharge. That implicit compromise is entered by the readers with the understanding that that will lead to some works of quality for what they really want. Of course, it's starting to look like that might not be the case. As was noted before, Oathbringer is viewed as a bit of a drop in quality. And that's when he committed to writing the book! The Lost Metal now seems like more of a burden to him since he preferred to write for free instead of on it with a tone-deaf "all is not lost!" when he made a mild possible commitment to maybe write it while taking a break from SA4.

"Works of quality for what they really want" - that's super subjective.  Plenty of people are thrilled about a Sanderson MtG story.  Just because it's not what you want doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way.  This is just like when people are pissed that he writes non-Cosmere books.  Plenty of people hated the idea of Skyward just because it wasn't Cosmere.  It turned out pretty well (one of his best books, in my opinion).  

Besides, 4-5 years in between fantasy novels isn't even that far outside the norm for the genre (looking at you Kingkiller and Game of Thrones, both of which are at 7 years and counting).  That's not even taking into account the fact that he's concurrently writing another, larger fantasy series of 1200+ page books.  (Also, plenty of people like Oathbringer)  

TL;DR Brandon is allowed to write what he wants, even if it's not what you want him to write.  Screaming at your phone and calling it a "betrayal" is a bit much.  

I'm hype for SA4!
Of course, I read OB for the first time a week ago and the prospect of only having to wait two years for the next book is awesome.
(BTW, drop in quality be stormed, I didn't notice any.)

I haven't read Mistborn Era 2 yet, so I'm kinda behind on schedule and don't yet care much about that. Will have to reread MB 1 first to get into the Cosmere again. And then maybe I'll finish Reckoners ... some time ...

(Also, could someone please enlighten me about what Koloss Head Munching Day is? I'm confused.)

Edited by Winds Alight

16 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

I'm hype for SA4!
Of course, I read OB for the first time a week ago and the prospect of only having to wait two years for the next book is awesome.
(BTW, drop in quality be stormed, I didn't notice any.)

I am curious and have a working hypothesis: did you start reading Stormlight recently and/ or read them pretty much back-to- back?

3 minutes ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

I am curious and have a working hypothesis: did you start reading Stormlight recently and/ or read them pretty much back-to- back?

Read WoK in 2011, WoR in 2015, then had a Branderson hiatus for 3,5 years.
Little more than four weeks ago I started rereading Stormlight after buying OB, I had forgotten too much. I read all three books within three weeks, finished OB last tuesday night at 2 am. ;)

@TheOoklaThatComesBefore 

@Toaster Retribution already basically gave my point of view, but I feel like you’re being a bit unreasonable about this whole thing. I can understand being frustrated that Brandon isn’t writing more Cosmere books, but I think it’s unfair to be mad about him writing the MtG story. That story was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him, and it was a chance to write a story for something he loves. I feel it’s really selfish of you to complain about not getting the books you want. I don’t know your preferences when it comes to Cosmere vs. non-Cosmere, but I don’t really care what Brandon writes, as long as it’s good and it makes him happy writing it. (As for the quality of Oathbringer, while it did have its flaws, I definitely found it the best Stormlight book yet). Hell, I wasn’t all that excited about Skyward, and I ended up living it. I definitely think it’s his best non-Cosmere book ever, and better than several Cosmere books.

6 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

You should get the 2018 Nobel Prize for speedreading. 

I actually believe it was the fastest I ever read in my life. And let me tell you, it wasn't completely healthy. I was sleep-deprived, unable to concentrate on work, cancelled social appointments and forgot to eat at some days.
I'm still barely able to do anything else except "talk about SA", "refresh 17th Shard in case anyone posted something in the SA subforum" and "find and reblog ALL Tumblr posts on SA" :lol:

Edited by Winds Alight

12 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

I actually believe it was the fastest I ever read in my life. And let me tell you, it wasn't completely healthy. I was sleep-deprived, unable to concentrate on work, cancelled social appointments and forgot to eat at some days.
I'm still barely able to do anything else except "talk about SA", "refresh 17th Shard in case anyone posted something in the SA subforum" and "find and reblog ALL Tumblr posts on SA" :lol:

The things we do for the Cosmere.

10 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Wait, OB is seen as a drop in quality? With Dalinar's flashbacks, Shallan's identity crisis, and Adolin finally starting to act like a character it's the best in the series yet. For me at least.

It is kinda divisive among the fanbase. Some people disliked it, because of how certain plot points, characters and the love triangle was handled. Other people didn’t see those things as issues and love the book. Shallan was also incredibly divisive so, yeah, not everyone loves the book. There are some threads in the SA section that discusses this more in-depth than we can do here, because of the spoiler policy. 

I was pretty confused when I read Oathbringer. Mind you, I've been confused whenever I've read sandernovels.

I don't care when we have it, I'm mainly interested that we have one. 

Edited by Ookla the Servillius

23 hours ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

Idk where OB is viewed as a drop in quality.  For me it was my favorite book he's ever written.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, What's a Seawolf? said:

Idk where OB is viewed as a drop in quality.  For me it was my favorite book he's ever written.

100% agree. I've read the 3 SA books each 4 times now.  OB is my favorite reread.  So much content there.  The most ambitious risks wrt to story telling. 

• Chaos locked this topic