Who is your favorite radiant

• 3 weeks later...

I think that my favorite Radiant is Venli, I am so interested in what her part of the story and I am generally interested in her powers.

I just generally dislike Malata and her sinister role in the whole thing, along with Nale and his ideal of "justice", and the "law".

My favourite Radiant is Renarin (If that isn't obvious)

The reason why is because he is different, an outsider to his own group, which is something deeply relate to. Along with his medical issues, I relate because I have seen how those can influence a person in who they are. 

Matala is a radiant I don't like because she seems so keen to just break things without thinking of the why, I don't hate her for her association with the diagram but I do hate her because of her attitude towards others 

54 minutes ago, Eris said:

Matala is a radiant I don't like because she seems so keen to just break things without thinking of the why, I don't hate her for her association with the diagram but I do hate her because of her attitude towards others 

I agree with you there Eris.

I like Jasnah's POV the most. She, Renarin, and Adolin are the most like me. I'm very analytical and don't like forced interaction with people because I don't feel it's sincere. I'm a public figure so I have to be outgoing but I'm really an introvert at heart. 

I noticed only one person so far said Teft in passing. So many on Reddit love Teft because he currently (and most definitely always will) suffers from an addiction. I guess there's more addicts on Reddit than here.

So I say Jasnah/Renarin and if Adolin becomes a Radiant, him too. 

Somewhat traditional, but my favorite Radiant is Kaladin, followed by Dalinar.  I like the characters whose honor and Oaths force them to make hard choices, and these two are at the top of the list.  I'm still reasonably convinced that Dalinar (or at least the Stormfather) needs to die for the story to reach its full potential, but that's a topic for another day.

My least favorite Radiant is Shallan and/or Venli.  Shallan because she's a walking collection of bad Hollywood tropes (amnesia in WoK and WoR, multiple personalities in OB), belongs to the least interesting Radiant Order (no Oaths = less moral dilemma = comparative boredom), and is approaching Mary Sue levels of hyper-competence despite poor decision making.  Venli because she's a clear hotswap for Eshonai (I'm about 98% sure that Eshonai was supposed to survive after WoR, and Venli was an unfortunate attempt to avert the "death is cheap" pattern established by Szeth/Jasnah in WoR) and because literally every scene in OB with her would have been better and/or more sensible with Eshonai instead.

Pattern, however, is probably my third-favorite spren, so Shallan does have that going for her at least.  Syl and Wyndle can duke it out for the top spot.

Jasnah and Shallan. I may say I truly like their personality, struggles and powerness. Shallan has a tremendous good path, and thrilling good plots and arcs, but I can say the same of other characters in this franchise, such as Dalinar. So, why I choose Jasnah and Shallan? 

Well, they portrait a kind of character not common in high fantasy, they are woman, scholars, and Shallan is an artist, it's open windows for a new experience while reading their roles in story and these woman has a damnation chemistry, a perfect couple, an real meaningful picture of master and student relationship, and how they learning with each other. Since the first book I found myself truly immerse in their arc and how good they work together. Shallan chapters were the ones that I not only enjoy while reading, but also after reading I used to finding myself reflecting about scholarship and religious beliefs. Their dialogues are clearly an attempt to Sanderson himself express his desires to broke old fantasy stereotypes and how woman should be depicted in fiction even when the fiction itself is somewhere close to real life society. 

Such a deep writing 

Dalinar and Kaladin feels so human and awesome at the same time so they stand out as my favorite radiants. 

Least favorite would Jasnah and Lift. The former i didn't like as much simply because she felt too perfect(abit mary sue-ish) which is very unlike her other radiant peers while the latter is well uninteresting to me for some reason.

Dalinar is my favorite character (Radiant). Probably the first fictional character I root for. For his success, for his life. I believe he'll do something with Shard of Honor and become a new God eventually. It'd be very fitting and beautiful.

13 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

Dalinar is my favorite character (Radiant). Probably the first fictional character I root for. For his success, for his life. I believe he'll do something with Shard of Honor and become a new God eventually. It'd be very fitting and beautiful.

I would disagree on that it is already a used plot on one of the cosmere stories. Don't think Sanderson would repeat himself he is not that uncreative.

6 hours ago, galendo said:

My least favorite Radiant is Shallan and/or Venli.  Shallan because she's a walking collection of bad Hollywood tropes (amnesia in WoK and WoR, multiple personalities in OB), belongs to the least interesting Radiant Order (no Oaths = less moral dilemma = comparative boredom), and is approaching Mary Sue levels of hyper-competence despite poor decision making.  Venli because she's a clear hotswap for Eshonai (I'm about 98% sure that Eshonai was supposed to survive after WoR, and Venli was an unfortunate attempt to avert the "death is cheap" pattern established by Szeth/Jasnah in WoR) and because literally every scene in OB with her would have been better and/or more sensible with Eshonai instead.

In the WoB below (spoilered for length), Brandon talks about how he’d basically always planned, ever since the outlining process (I‘m assuming the outlining for the entire series), that Venli would survive instead of Eshonai.

Spoiler

Questioner[PENDING REVIEW]

Were you intending to kill Eshonai off from the beginning of the series, or is that a decision you made later on?

Brandon Sanderson[PENDING REVIEW]

That was a decision I made later in the outlining process. It was not begun that way, but it became obvious I needed to do it fairly early on. Why?

I was just wondering, because as I was reading Way of Kings, a lot of people thought she was going to be a continuing character, maybe even be one of the good guys later on.

Right. The decision I came to, and it was probably... trying to remember exactly when it was. When I came to the decision that Venli was more interesting as a viewpoint character than her sister was, because we already had characters in the series whose attribute was paragon of their...This kind of paragon soldier who's trying to do the right thing is well covered in The Stormlight Archive. She was intended originally, but pretty early in the revision process, I decided it needed to go the other direction, 'cause Venli just worked way better as a viewpoint character.

Is Eshonai still getting a flashback book?

Yes, she's still getting a flashback book. I didn't change any of that. In fact, before I even began the series, I knew there were some characters who would not make it to their flashback book, and I wanted to make sure that I made clear that that could happen.

You said that before, I was like, I want to hear it.

Eshonai was intended to continue through, but I changed that pretty quickly, when I realized—like I said.

source

Personally, I’m glad Eshonai died. Venli’s arc of having to work to become Radiant just wouldn’t work with Eshonai, because she was basically perfect for the order. It’ll be so much more interesting to see Venli struggle with her oaths. 

Edited by StrikerEZ

I'm sad Eshonai died, but I do understand the reasoning behind it and I trust Brandon that it will make a better story in the end. Besides, Venli did grow on me over the course of Oathbringer. She is genuinely an interesting character.

And to actually answer the topic question, my current favourite Radiants are Kaladin and Dalinar. But if Adolin revives Maya he might just become my new favourite.

33 minutes ago, goody153 said:

I would disagree on that it is already a used plot on one of the cosmere stories. Don't think Sanderson would repeat himself he is not that uncreative.

We've never seen Splintered Shard before. Never. So no, I wouldn't say this plot was already used. It wasn't. We don't even know  if/how Splintered Shard could be repaired, so when/if this happens, it will be something new and unseen before, in terms of Cosmere lore. Sanderson RAFOs all questions about Splintered Shards, I guess it will be important.

29 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

All the foreshadowing seems to indicate that something along those lines might happen. Though I'm sure Brandon will come up with a way to avoid making it feel like a rehash of what happened in the other story.

Yeah. Agree with this. I think it will happen, but it will be very different from what we've seen so far, considering Honor's unique state.

The thing is it will still be about about a good protagonist taking up the mantle of the old broken god (preservation wasn't splintered but he was technically broken if you think about his limitations) to make it whole again. Basically same narrative even if the technicality is different. 

It would look like a cheap ripoff of the other franchise he wrote. I think he can do better than that. Rehashing plot is common on much less refined medium like comics or manga/anime/light novels/wuxia who mostly have terrible plot due to rehashing of plot that worked before which is why those mediums are commonly terrible(i love reading them but this is what separates epic fantasy from those stuff especially refined ones like stuff sanderson writes)

You can still do the reassembling of the old shard or new vessel of the old shard thing in a completely different and unexpected way. Not basically the 

Spoiler

Sazed and Vin plotline

which what will Dalinar look like if he did actually ascend as honor eventually.

Honor's unique state doesn't matter. It will still be good guy becomes worthy and takes up the shard which is kinda the same rust that the other cosmere story pulled off. 

Like look at Warbreaker and Mistborn. Both literally had the same overpowered overlord of doom but it was completely executed differently so it didn't matter if they rehashed the same element in the story.

What you are suggesting is that Stormlight Archives pulls off a 

Spoiler

literal mistborn trilogy twist

then it basically just becomes a "we've already seen that" storyline which makes it weak for his big epic. 

It might seem like i am expecting highstandards but lowstandard story-telling material only does that stuff.

Edited by goody153

I don’t have a problem with Dalinar ascending. I both think Brandon will do it well and believe it would be relevant to the Cosmere as a whole. If that happens it becomes a pattern true, but a pattern with a point. I’d love to see Dalinar join Sazed in an alliance of Unity and Harmony. 

You can boil every story down to a point where obvious comparisons abound. The devil that interests me is the details. 

I also wouldn’t so easily brush off the fact that Honor is splintered and the impact that could have on the overall story. 

Yes, agree that what really matters is HOW. All Sanderson's books are in the same universe.Everything works by similar rules, I think it's obvious that both SA and Mistborn share familiar plots. Everything in Cosmere revolve around Shards. Yes, Shards, and Honor particulary, are very important for SA. I believe Honor will be reunited, but how? This is important. I'm feel utterly positive about this plot. It will open some wild, interesting possibilities for Dalinar, like:

3 hours ago, Dalakaar said:

I’d love to see Dalinar join Sazed in an alliance of Unity and Harmony. 

I'd like to see it. Sounds awesome.