Who is your favorite radiant

Favorite would probably be Dalinar and Nale. Dalinar because he has a fantastic story (in my mind one of the very the best character arcs Brandon has written). How he fights with guilt and beats it through accepting his faults... that was the singe best thing in Oathbringer. Nale because I find his law-obsession and his descent into madness interesting. Plus, he is pretty badass. 

For least favorite, I’d say Jasnah, Lift and Lopen. I consider Jasnah to be a very well-written character, but she gets on my nerves for a number of reasons. She is great at everything, which makes it feel like the solution to all problems is: ”call Jasnah”. She behaves badly at times as well. Lift and Lopen are both fun in small doses (or, in Lifts case, as the star of her own novella) but can become too much, which renders them annoying. 

I mean to be at a complete opposite of @Toaster Retribution

Favorite would be Lift (i like rogues). Her personality is something i could get along with, and kinda how i am. Also, i LOVE Jasnah. Shes blunt, knows things and not afraid to show it, and just overall awesome to me. seconds would be Dalinar. 

Dislike would be Nale, he understand he follows the "Law" but i relate a lot to Kaladin, in the sense of following your heart.

Also, non-radiant, i have to say i really like Adolin. Im excited for when/if he becomes a Radiant, but i like his character and personality. It was annoying at first, but hes grown on me. 

I like all the POV Radiants for different reasons (though admittedly it took me a while to come around to Shallan).  I grove very strongly on redemption stories, which is why Im a huge fan of both Dalinar and Kaladin.  Jasnah is a gloriously analytical and self-aware, and Lift is just plain distilled awesome (You have to like anyone that is so Immune to social convention and/or propriety). Im convinced Navani will be one soon, and I gotta love the fellow Engineer.  

Shallan bothered me the first time through, but on the reread (and thus knowing her spoilers) I can understand and relate to her better this time through.  Im listening to the Graphic audio, though, and she has the same voice-actor as Siri in Warbreaker, which may have helped. 

I am wildly interested in Nale, as the only Herald Radiant, and I really like him for the fact that he is self-aware enough to be doubting himself; Im really interested in how his story will play out. Similarly, Venli's whole progression in OB and the unique possibilities of a Singer Radiant are intriguing.

Not a fan of Malata so far, but I dont know enough about her and her motivations to really form an opinion.

Would have like to see Tien come into his power, I cannot for the life of me figure out what his emotional crack was, aside from maybe some mild ADD I dont really see any of the mental conditions the others seem to have. 

Gun to my head, though:

Spoiler

Hoid :D

Edited by Quantus

K A L A D I N.

Yeah, there's really no room for discussion here. Kaladin ist not only my favorite Radiant, he's also by far my favorite character in SA, my favorite Cosmere character, my favorite fantasy character ... honestly, I don't believe I've ever felt so strongly about a fictional character. (This coming from me, who's not over Akkarin ten years after reading The Black Magician Trilogy)

Following are Renarin, Teft, Jasnah. (Adolin would be here too, but I guess he doesn't quite count yet. :D)
Dalinar, Lift and Shallan come third.

Least favorite would be Nale.

I don't really have a strong opinion about Malata yet as we don't know nearly enough about her.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Silent said:

I mean to be at a complete opposite of @Toaster Retribution

1 hour ago, Ookla the Silent said:

seconds would be Dalinar. 

Mission failed :-D I love Dalinar. But apart from this you managed to be opposite pretty well.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

Renarin, I find what's happening with him and Glys to be supremely fascinating, and I love him as a character. Right after him, Dalinar, Kaladin and Lift, in no particular order, as I like all three of them as characters (maybe Dalinar a little more than the other two? I've just finished re-reading Oathbringer, so that's probably why).

Put Adolin on 1.5 spot, his lack of Radiant powers be stormed. He's awesome and I want him to become the spren necromancer he's clearly meant to be.

I'm kind of on the fence when it come to Jasnah. There are some moments (particularly her POV sections) where I really like her, and then others (let's genocide all the singers!) where I can't stand how smarther-than-thou she's acting (I'm sorry lady, I didn't know having a Plate was a measure of one's importance in the ethical discourse!).

As for the one I like the least... Shallan? I was okay with her in WoK, but I despised her in WoR. She struck me as really, really manipulative and callous then. I've started to come around in OB, but I dunno... I'm just not a fan of her, I suppose.

Favorite is Kaladin. By far my favorite SA character. I like that he is so caring and when he gets down he gets back up. I like that he is a teacher, he just can't help himself. He makes the people around him stronger. He is the best. :wub:

Next favorites Lift, Rock (does he count?), Adolin (he knows Maya's name = close enough) in that order. I like Lift a lot. She is one tough kid and she pays attention. I like that Rock says fighting is beneath him. Adolin is pretty cool. I like that he got Maya to talk to him.

Least favorite Dalinar and Szeth. Not a fan of mass murderers.

Edit:

39 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

She struck me as really, really manipulative and callous then.

I see Shallan that way too. OB convinced me she is less callous than I thought her, but I still see her as very manipulative. I like her okay. She is middling among the characters I like.

Edited by wotbibliophile

Jasnah. 

Because she's Jasnah. She is capable and amazing in all the ways that I wish I were, and her issues are ones I relate to strongly. 

Least? Lift. She fun and crazy and sweet Shard of my soul I can't wait for her to storming grow up. 

Edited by Ookla, the Hivemind

I’m gonna try and list as many Radiants as I can remember.

• Kaladin and Shallan: I can relate to so many of their mental problems on so many levels, so I have to put these two up there. Not so much that I like them as people, but more because of how I can relate to them.
  • Dalinar: Oathbringer arc. ‘Nuff said.
  • Lift: she’s just really fun, and I’m really excited to see how she grows as a character between now and the back half.
  • Malata: even though she’s working for the diagram, she seems so intriguing. 

I just have to mention that I really don’t like Nale. He’s an idiot. 

1. Kaladin primarily though I'll be more fond of Taln and Eshonai, once they are more fleshed out.

2. Kaladin's empathy and depression, Eshonai's wonder and sense of duty/responsibility. Taln (Hes awesome) and to an extent Stormwards with an oath like this 

Spoiler

I will stand when others fall

get me pumped up.

3. Shallan

4. Havent liked her since WoK since then her arc is easier to read but even in OB sometimes wanted to skip her PoV especially in Kholinar.

Edited by Hbal
Spoiler, errors

Kaladin, all the way. There is no doubt about it. I think he's the most 'real' character in the series so far. He gets betrayed almost every step of the way by almost everybody he considered important and still isn't giving up. People treat him like trash and he doesn't give a damnation - sure he's grumpy but who wouldn't in his position. Also he has Syl - and she is the most wonderful spren there is (in every way - I literally laughed out loud at some dialogues with her). Which gives his character another solid headstart before anybody else.

Second place is I guess Shallan because well, I wouldn't say I like her, but her character is relatable - the stuff she went through is tough and still she tries to do good for her family and for the people she cares about.

Lift would be the 3rd I guess, she's just funny as hell. Easy as that :D

Everybody else is like - well how can I say it - 1st world problems - adolin is a rich kid who is somewhat likeable but his biggest problems were women (before he met shallan) and anger management issues. He isn't a bad guy not at all but feels somewhat bland.

Dalinar is interesting with his superspren but not really interesting enough to make the list - he basically was a giant idiot before his wife died and now he's trying to make up for it.

Renarin could get interesting in future books - potential is definitely there but as in right now he just seems weird.

And then there is Wit... well I guess he isn't really a radiant nor a potential one but definitely curious about him - who is he really - whats his part in all of the cosmere - where is he going all the time. Whats his deal, can't wait to find out.

Hoid. Because he’s Hoid. I’m a sucker for the mysterious and mischievous  

Then Dalinar. Absolutely LOVE his storyline. He’s the fulcrum upon which this world turns, and he’s up for the challenge. 

Lift is fun to read. Shallan can be fun, but she can be very frustrating to read, too. Pattern is my favorite spren, though. “No mating!”

Jasnah reads to me like Cadsuane from Wheel of Time. All knowing, all powerful. More, as a character, she just seems flat. Not well developed. That’ll change, I’m sure, when we get to her novel, but that’s ages away.

Nale is my least favorite, though. By a long shot. I just can’t stand characters who abrogate their free will choices to “The Law” or “Vorinism” or some such nonsense. You’re not a robot; you’re a human being (-ish, I guess, in his case). You don’t get to just lay all your choices at the altar of whatever absolute you serve. 

Edited by A Traveler