Children of the Nameless Questions

ILuvHats

My main question is, is an Entity the same as the spark that can make intelligent beings planeswalkers?  According to the MTG wiki description of a spark:

"planeswalker's spark is a latent power inborn into a very small number of sentient creatures across the Multiverse, which if activated permanently turns the bearer into a planeswalker. A planeswalker is granted the ability to travel between the planes of the Multiverse. The exact mechanics of the planeswalker's spark are unknown, and many of the descriptions are prerevisionist."

Based on this definition alone, the two don't seem to be the same, since the spark is something inborn while the Entity doesn't appear to be.  However, its clear that Tacinda only gained the ability to planeswalk immediately after she obtained the Bog Entity.  So its kinda confusing.  Maybe Tacenda and Wilia both had the spark, and thats why the Entity chose to inhabit them in the first place?  But the spark could only be activated once the full power of the entity was claimed by one of them?  I really don't know, so please help, those of you who are more knowledgeable about MTG lore.

That appears to be mostly correct.  Tacenda (and, most likely, Willia) had a latent spark, and the influx of mana from the full Bog Entity likely ignited Tacenda's.  However, the spark is intrinsic to sapient souls, e.g. Tacenda, and most beings formed of magic, e.g. the Bog Entity, don't have souls compatible with spark generation.  

The Entities are a new thing that Brandon made up and are distinct from the planeswalker spark.  However, that begs the question of whether the Entity itself confers the ability to Planeswalk or if it just ignites a dormant, preexisting spark.  That was the big question that I had after reading the book, but Brandon answered this on the Reddit AMA. 

Basically, there's no canon answer - it's deliberately ambiguous.  However, Brandon's head canon is that the Planeswalking ability comes only from the Entity, neither Tacenda or Davriel have their own spark (although Davriel thinks he does).  

wiresegal

Tacenda seemed to Planeswalk at the end. Did she, or did she just "ascend" within Innistrad? Was she an unsparked planeswalker before she accepted the Entity? If she wasn't, did the Entity give her a Spark, similar to how Slobad was grafted one? And if that's not it, the third possibility... is the Entity native to the Blind Eternities, like the Eldrazi?

Brandon Sanderson

I will give you both the canon and brandon head canon.

Canon is: ambiguous on all counts. It's not confirmed that Tacenda planeswalked at the end, or whether she (or Davriel) had sparks of their own--or if their planewalking powers are granted by the Entities. I can say, in canon, that the Entities are not native to the Blind Eternities--they are the souls of ancient, powerful planes that were destroyed, and their power harvested.

The Soul of planes sequence from m15 were their inspiration, though something special happened with these specific planes. I can't confirm or deny how many of them there were, but at least two.

Now, the Brandon Head Canon. (See my post at the top of this thread for an explanation.)

In my discussions with Wizards, they gave me leave to create one planeswalker--but in the course of the story, I decided to have Tacenda spark as well. This wasn't done with canon permission from Wizards, and I promised them that I'd leave it ambiguous in case they didn't want to have to deal with me playing loose and free with creating planeswalkers.

I personally imagine that the entities are providing the sparks for both Davriel and Tacenda. Davriel THINKS it's his own spark, and it ignited when he saw the true nature of the multiverse--and this is, right now, the canon answer. But I personally like the idea that one of the reasons these Entities are important is because they provide planeswalking ability to whoever holds them.

That has too much lore implication for me to canonize, however--and I didn't push Wizards to do so. (I also didn't ask them to make Tacenda a planeswalker; I simply wrote the story, and left them the option of using her in the future.) So take this part all with a grain of salt.

source