Outdated - New Players guide

Voidus

No, you can make a character and introduce them in threads at any time. The end of the Era and the start of the next one (which is planned to be New Years I think) will provide a more specific 'jumping in point', but there's nothing stopping you from introducing them now so that we all know who they are in the next Era.

• 3 weeks later...

@2001Kra please no poaching members for guilds in this thread.

@Sunbringer as mentioned, you can simply start a new thread to create a new guild, but it's probably best to discuss it in the chat thread first, then people can provide feedback, express interest, etc.

The chat thread is also a good place to find which thread you could start in, and if you have a character in mind you should post them in the character creation thread.

Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, Clever Username said:

Could I start a new topic this new to the Ally-Verse?

It would depend on what you were planning to do with it. Generally it's a good idea to make sure that the topic will have some activity on it before posting it so that we dont wnd up with spam.

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t wait anymore! I’ve been on the Shard for the better part a year and a half! I’m joining the Alleyverse! I’m throwing my hat in the ring! I hope that expression actually works in this case!

• 1 month later...

So I think I would like to join the Alleyverse. I'm pretty sure I understand the logistics of creating a character (although I don't have any ideas for one yet), but the question I wanna ask is what happens after that? I've read through some of the Alleyverse threads, and I can see where parts of the story connect; however, being new to the Shard, a lot of the plot that I see is still a bit confusing. I don't think simply jumping in and inserting my character is the best idea, since I don't know very much of the goings on yet. Does anyone have suggestions for getting started? (And maybe an explanation of current events?)

3 hours ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

So I think I would like to join the Alleyverse. I'm pretty sure I understand the logistics of creating a character (although I don't have any ideas for one yet), but the question I wanna ask is what happens after that? I've read through some of the Alleyverse threads, and I can see where parts of the story connect; however, being new to the Shard, a lot of the plot that I see is still a bit confusing. I don't think simply jumping in and inserting my character is the best idea, since I don't know very much of the goings on yet. Does anyone have suggestions for getting started? (And maybe an explanation of current events?)

Well, the Rivers of Blood is the main plot.

Also, joining a guild is helpful.

6 hours ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

Ok. I suppose just doing it is the best way to learn then.

Welcome and great that you want to join!

The Forge is a thread, that's a good place to start. You need no real knowledge about the setting/ the Alleyverse and its background, and (most of) the characters there are nice and helpful. You can start there, get a feeling for the setting and if you don't like it, you can always move your character to another thread.

16 hours ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

There's something of a war going on in the main city of the RP at the moment, things haven't yet gotten to heated but that's an obvious place to start. Otherwise we have a lot of location threads but I think it might be easier for people to recommend a thread for you once you've got an idea for a character, some threads will be more suitable for cetain types of characters than others and having an idea of who you can interact with might also be good.

Hope you have fun and let us know if you have any questions :)

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Goldeneye63 said:

Hey guys im joining the rp. Where can i start? 

Hey boyos, this is Axe confirming that this person is legit. I'm introducing him to the RP, but he's never read any Sanderson. Go easy on him. 

PS: I took his phone from him to type this.

Welcome! I would highly recommend reading through all the links in the original post of this thread, then get started figuring out what kind of character you'd like to create. Things are a bit hectic in the setting at the moment, we are in the middle of a main plot, though to be honest things are generally confusing around here :P Since you haven't read any Sanderson, the whole concept of the magic systems may seem a bit baffling to you. Try to use the Character Discussion thread to plan out or ask questions about a character, then use the Character Thread to post your final character sheet for mod approval.

Probably my best advice would be to read through as many of the threads as possible before starting. I know this sounds daunting but I can't think of a better way to get a full picture of what the AV is, how it works, and who is who. It took me a while to figure out where to drop in my character and what I wanted to do with her, and reading through recent events really helped me put stuff into perspective. I realize that I'm not typical in this regard, but I can't think of a better method to learn the world and the magic, especially since you have no experience with Sanderson. Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions, and have fun! ^_^ 

2 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Welcome! I would highly recommend reading through all the links in the original post of this thread, then get started figuring out what kind of character you'd like to create. Things are a bit hectic in the setting at the moment, we are in the middle of a main plot, though to be honest things are generally confusing around here :P Since you haven't read any Sanderson, the whole concept of the magic systems may seem a bit baffling to you. Try to use the Character Discussion thread to plan out or ask questions about a character, then use the Character Thread to post your final character sheet for mod approval.

Probably my best advice would be to read through as many of the threads as possible before starting. I know this sounds daunting but I can't think of a better way to get a full picture of what the AV is, how it works, and who is who. It took me a while to figure out where to drop in my character and what I wanted to do with her, and reading through recent events really helped me put stuff into perspective. I realize that I'm not typical in this regard, but I can't think of a better method to learn the world and the magic, especially since you have no experience with Sanderson. Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions, and have fun! ^_^ 

Thanks for the advice, but I have aaxe here showing the ropes. :P

Edited by Goldeneye63

• 5 months later...