Gold Ferrings.

BooksBeforeDeath

So a WOB I read said that a gold ferring could change their spritweb, because the way gold healing works is it changes your body to the self image that you have of yourself. Does this mean that if you stamped a gold ferring, making him think, say, he was an Elantrian and a Feruchemist. With enough gold, would the ferring change investiture and become an Elantrian with access to the Dor?

While there is some ability for your Cognitive perception to alter your Spiritual aspect (like the potential to change your biological gender to match self-image) the kind of changes you're thinking of are far more beyond that, since you're not only talking about mixing Investitures but essentially creating Connections that do not exist to another Shard and to a specific region on another planet. Brandon's said that Shai (who's magic system is actually designed to do things like this) would need a huge source of external power to Forge herself into an Elantrian and even then she'd probably just look like one without getting any of the actual powers of a genuine Elantrian. A gold ferring just isn't going to manage that.

Questioner

In The Emperor’s Soul, Forgery allows you to Forge your soul to create a different past. My question is, would on Scadrial burning gold in a controlled way allow you to do something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

Wow, you guys are good. So, they are similar but different. I would say that no, gold is not gonna do this exact thing. They're working from the same fundamental roots, but gold is a lot more bounded in what it can accomplish.

source

I do not think that F-Gold is actually health/healing. There is  WoB on this somewhere. Also, it is tied to your spiritweb but I think it is the connection between your physical self and your spiritual self. I think health in the cosmere in general is that connection as well. Imagine this connection as a pipe. When you store "health" in a gold mind, the flow through that pipe decreases. When you tape a gold mind, the flow increases. When you breath in Stormlight, that flow increases, which is why you can regrow limbs and such. Now the shape of that "pipe" is what determines how much is healed and if the healing works and is regulated by Identity. Other magic systems that heal such as Aon Dor do something similar but I do not know the mechanics of it.

5 hours ago, Gasper said:

I do not think that F-Gold is actually health/healing. There is  WoB on this somewhere. Also, it is tied to your spiritweb but I think it is the connection between your physical self and your spiritual self. I think health in the cosmere in general is that connection as well. Imagine this connection as a pipe. When you store "health" in a gold mind, the flow through that pipe decreases. When you tape a gold mind, the flow increases. When you breath in Stormlight, that flow increases, which is why you can regrow limbs and such. Now the shape of that "pipe" is what determines how much is healed and if the healing works and is regulated by Identity. Other magic systems that heal such as Aon Dor do something similar but I do not know the mechanics of it.

"Health" is the ability of the body to conform to it's spiritual ideal.

• Chaos locked this topic