Dawn of a New Era

Lord Meeker

Senate poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should Great Guilds have how many additional representatives?

• 1 additional representative
    • Depend on member count
  2. 2. Which rules, listed in post, should take effect?

• Rule 1 should take effect
    • Rule 2 should take effect
    • Rule 3 should take effect
    • Rule 4 should take effect
    • Rule 5 should take effect
    • Rule 6 should take effect
    • Rule 7 should take effect
    • Rule 8 should take effect
    • Rule 9 should take effect
    • Rule 10 should take effect
  3. 3. Which shoud the elected Chancellor be from

Alright this is the thread for planning the upcoming Era. There are a few things I would like to address before we can discuss the desired plot of this new Era.

Main Plot.

Alright for Era 1 there was one main story line. That went up into the air when Era 2 came along. I think we had three main plots. The Well of Descension, The Great Game and The Metamorphosis. Lets keep it to one this time. The protagonists will be facing off against the Bureau of Villainy in Era 3. This is a guild that might be the only one that can bend the Guild Reform a little bit. We have not decided on a goal yet. But be assured we will. I have revealed myself as a member of this guild. The member limit will stay what it is, for the sake of keeping the total number of villains to a decent minimum. How ever these villains will be working together as a squad to obtain their objective. This means that the protagonists will have to work together to defeat us.

World Depth.

The Guild Reform Topic has some potential to really add world depth into the Alleyverse. I personally am excited for this. I want to be beyond just reforming guilds and suggest that we "set up" a government. One of the mods of the Alleyverse, Kidpen set up an election for mayor if you recall. I want to make this more permanent for this new upcoming Era. Having a government will not only deepen our world but it will also put limits and laws down for the villains who are willing break said law. At the moment there isn't real punishment for villains as the Alleyverse at the moment is basically a Old Western Town.

A side note of important things I have noted and placed here. 

@Archer Thanks for the list of guilds and their members. Feel free to update it! 

Update on the Guild Census (official results)

A reminder, we are asking everyone to PM a Alleyverse moderator or publicly declare what guild they would like to be counted under for this Republic. That doesn't mean you're necessarily participating in it, but your affiliation still has a an impact on the ability of guilds to raise armies, etc. Once a guild has five members, it becomes a Great Guild. For more details, see this thread. 

Great Guilds: TUBA, Ghostbloods, The Keepers

Minor Guilds: The Craftsmen, The Black Crusade, The Canton of Combat

TUBA: Xinoehp, Axelius, Karnatheon, Bitbitio, Silva, Steel Inquisitive, Stormblessed Dolphin, The Thinking Herald, Sudiov, Chasmfiend#1

Ghostbloods: Sorana, Itiah, AonEne, Life&Death, Gancho Libre, BooksBeforeDeath, The Forgetful Archivist, Dr. Dapper

Dark Alley: Kenod

The Keepers: Furamirionind, Ark1002, Ookla the Palindrome, Ken Kaneki, FeurBrisinger

The Craftsmen: Mac, Meta

The Black Crusade: Darth, Grey Knight

The Diagramists: King Taravangian

Rogues: Gancho Libre

Canton of Combat: Nohadon, Minato Rising

Wild cards: Lord Meeker

Unaffiliated: Arith Matic

Rules of the Republic should it take effect. The Republic will cater to both Great and Minor Guilds in the House of Representatives. 

1. Each Great Guild has two seats, depending upon vote, in the Senate of Alleyversial Republic.

2. There is also one "public" seat, to which any citizen can be elected by true majority. Candidacy is reduced by a process of elimination until one candidate had more than half of all votes. 

3. The Chancellor is appointed from and by the Senate.

4. Laws and decisions are made by majority rule of the Senate.

5. Ties are broken by the Chancellor's intervention, but the Chancellor gets no other vote.

6. The Senate can impeach the Chancellor by a unanimous vote, and if convicted of felony or high crime, Chancellor is removed from office and punished by law.

7. Senators may be impeached by a 2/3 majority senator vote, and are likewise tried in a court of law. If convicted of a felony or high crime, they are removed from office and punished by law.

8. In the temporary absence of a Chancellor, ties are broken by popular vote.

9. In the temporary absence of a senator, the Chancellor votes in their place.

10. If war has been declared on the Allyversial Republic, the Chancellor and Senate may jointly declare a military state, in which only temporary laws may be enacted and all power is vested in the Chancellor.

Senate abilities

Taxation

Infrastructure

Census

Nominating non-elected government positions 

Defense

Starting impeachment proceedings

Justice system

Spending

Appointing the Chancellor

Edited by Archer

I think that if there is a government it should be a city-state form of government, like ancient Greece. And I think that the timeskip question should have a few more options in it (say, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc). I'm excited for a new central plot, as none of the ones in this era have really felt like they have involved my characters much.

The worldbuilder in me wants the government to be a sort of faction-led democracy - not the people of the Alleycity voting, but major guilds voting among themselves. All the Great Guilds get a vote. That makes the most sense to me, and adds an extra dynamic and layer of depth to the interplay between guilds - voting politics. Sort of like the Rose Empire in Emperor’s Soul, with all the different factions voting on behalf of the population.

However, I understand if an all-inclusive democracy is realistically a better choice. This system doesn’t really work for people who are independent but want to be involved in the political aspect.

Thank you for your suggestions, Ookla the Meeker. And for getting this thread up finally:P

On the topic of government, I would have liked an ‘anarchy’ option on the poll (like we have now), but no matter. There is no need for a government. The RP already has guilds set up to provide security, community, and all the things a government provides. Characters have no reason to form one.

But politics are fun. So long as people realize that an in-game government can only create in-game ‘rules’, it could be a fun thread to participate in. Should this happen, I would recommend convening at regular intervals, but not continually. Otherwise characters will have to stay at the capital in order to have their say. If you only met, for example, on weekends, it would allow them to go on adventures during the week. Or they could share the responsibility of representing their bloc with other members.

While making the government based around guilds would make sense, as has been pointed out, it leaves independents out. But how would you enforce decrees? The only force that has the authority to do so in-game is the guilds. You’d need their support. I strongly caution against creating an army to enforce the rules created. It would create situations where RPers are given undo amounts of power.

The better way of doing it would be to have a democracy, should people decide they want a government. Maybe a compromise where Great guilds get to propose laws, or their reps get vetos (just kidding. We all know how well that would work). Or each time a different GG rep chairs the meeting, thus giving them the chance to set the agenda and lead the debate, but still giving individuals a chance to be involved. 

Or we could have a system where everyone gets a vote, but you have to be present in the thread to cast it. So people on adventures couldn't participate. Instead, they could give permission to someone to vote for them. So, on one day I could cast four votes, three on behalf of others It would create some interesting politics. Literal vote trading. But would it be one vote per character or Sharder? And couldn't people just get inactives to give them votes? Ignore that

57 minutes ago, Ookla the [REDACTED] said:

Hmm its almost like the representatives in the mediators guild that I came up with would fulfill that exact purpose. 

Too bad nobody decided to support that.

Indeed. That would have been a fun system. 

I would prefer a longer time skip, like 100 years. If characters from the time when we allowed higher power levels are still around, or can easily return, it can lead to power creep, replicating the issues with that that we had during this era. There are people who want to keep their characters in Era Three. Should they continue to participate, it would seriously hamper efforts to create a consistently low levels of character power in E3. The only way I can foresee this not happening if we do a short time skip is if everyone’s characters die before the new Era begins, or are somehow striped of their powers and OP technology. I’m advocating for a hundred year skip, but I realize I’m in the minority with this opinion.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Paragon said:

I would prefer a longer time skip, like 100 years. If characters from the time when we allowed higher power levels are still around, or can easily return, it can lead to power creep, replicating the issues with that that we had during this era. There are people who want to keep their characters in Era Three. Should they continue to participate, it would seriously hamper efforts to create a consistently low levels of character power in E3. The only way I can foresee this not happening if we do a short time skip is if everyone’s characters die before the new Era begins, or are somehow striped of their powers and OP technology. I’m advocating for a hundred year skip, but I realize I’m in the minority with this opinion.

I'm sorry, I'd straight-up quit the RP if this happened. Spoiler alert: Seom is Tena's daughter. This would completely ruin all of my dastardly plans, and then where would I be? 

Seriously though, Tena is going to be severely down-graded at the end of E2. She's going to lose the majority of her powers, and other people can do that to their characters too, or just kill them off.

I just want to make sure everyone knows, a democracy is where each individual gets a vote on every topic and decision.  This is the form of government used in Greece.  A republic is where people vote for others to make decisions for them.  I know some of you already know this, but I was surprised that republic hasn't gotten a single vote.

Personally, I think it would be interesting if we treated guilds like modern parties. The great guilds could each nominate someone to run for office, and you could have the other guilds vote on which guilds rep they think will represent them best. The person with most votes gets the office, and perhaps the others become a council to advise, and have minor decision making powers to prevent it from. Becoming a dictatorship.

I love (not irl) politics, so this is an AMAZING concept from my perspective!!!

Anyways, hundred years is to long. Also, the Precursors could enforce the laws. They exist to enforce laws, remember?

That would be fun, but we voted for democracy, because we're all selfish and don't want to not have a vote.:ph34r:

Still, it will probably all dissolve into chaos, anyways.

Edited by Darth Woodrack

7 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Again, we should not rely on armies to enforce laws.

(Also who would command it?)

I have no words to express my mix of confusion, anger, and disappointment. The Precursors are commanded by me, Ax, and that guy clyde. It isn't that new of a concept, and has been the subject of a long discussion on practicality. They are an army of policemen. They are after anyone a governing body deems a criminal, that is under their jurisdiction, ie: not under protection, in their city.

Yes, but who is going to tell them what to do. Who decides weather they are justified in killing people. What if the council commandin g it (In therory) is made up of all anti-TUBA members, and they command the army to attack TUBA. You cannot have a giant army just sitting around. 

How would the command structure work? You would have to have a smaller council or committee in charge, but then we get the problem from before. But you also can't let the whole assembly make decisions, because any urgent decisions would get caught up in pointless bureaucracy. 

One last thing. Having a preexsiting army causes problems (For starters, the ones above). What we really need, is a multi guild coalition, with heavy checks and balances on its use and command structure.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Yes, but who is going to tell them what to do. Who decides weather they are justified in killing people. What if the council commandin g it (In therory) is made up of all anti-TUBA members, and they command the army to attack TUBA. You cannot have a giant army just sitting around. 

How would the command structure work? You would have to have a smaller council or committee in charge, but then we get the problem from before. But you also can't let the whole assembly make decisions, because any urgent decisions would get caught up in pointless bureaucracy. 

One last thing. Having a preexsiting army causes problems (For starters, the ones above). What we really need, is a multi guild coalition, with heavy checks and balances on its use and command structure.

1. We don't move on players, unless they have actually agreed to it. Not just a random person. Places like the citadel have you needing to agree to the law to come in, but that's not everything. We are very spread out, and we only function as an army against an army of criminals.
  2. We are led by Ax, me, and that guy Clyde. I actually don't want to favor TUBA, Clyde is very new, and Ax is both GB and TUBA. Do you expect us to attack the DA? If someone protects a target, ie: a guild of equal stature to the person that put the hit on, or 2 lesser guilds against a great guild, and those numbers are up to negotiation. 
  3. This pretty much is a multi guild colation, but it already exists. We work for everyone, and if a person doesn't want us after their character, unless their in the citadel or like place, we won't go after them.