I wonder if Drehy will be really important ever

Ripheus23

I fell for four guys total, in my life so far, I have a theory why it won't be any others more, but now #3's name was "Drew" and I first read Sanderson's work back then and for other reasons Sanderson's stories are important to this part of my life, so when I read OB you can imagine I was all like :wub: but at the same time I wonder if Drehy is going to do anything really interesting ever.

I sure hope so. Chances aren't bad as he seems to growing into a full Radiant by the end of OB. We at least might see more of him.

He has a special place in my heart as he is the reason why I found my way back to Stormlight and Sanderson.

I'm bisexual, and in early 2017 I stumbled over this really ancient post from Brandon from I believe 2007 regarding his views of homosexuality and let's say I didn't take it well. I swore to myself to never touch a book of his again, I even gave away my copies of Mistborn, Elantris and Warbreaker. I couldn't give away Stormlight though, and for the following 1,5 years I felt devastated, looking at my bookshelf, thinking about how I was never going to read the rest of the series.

Than, not even four weeks back, I learned about Drehy being gay (practically by sheer coincidence) and that Brandon's views seemed to have changed quite a lot.

I broke down crying, ordered Oathbringer and started a reread of books one and two as I had forgotten too much.

Now I'm here, and all because of Drehy. So as far as I'm concerned, he can have his own book.

I think Drehy has already done a lot of interesting stuff (does saving Adolin and Gavinor's lives not count to you?), although admittedly most of it has been as a support character to Kaladin and Adolin. I think he and Skar are well on their way to becoming full windrunners, and although I doubt he'll ever be a main character, we could definitely see some PoV chapters in the next two books.  

Winds Alight, what post are you referring to? Not doubting you at all, I'm just genuinely curious. And I'm glad you Brandon a second chance!  

I'm also not surprised his views would have changed significantly over the past decade - just think about how far America (and most countries) has come re: LGBT rights since 2007.  President Obama literally had to be browbeaten into pushing more openly for LGBT rights by Biden, and every democratic candidate in 2008 thought openly embracing gay marriage was political suicide. None of this is an excuse for how backwards we used to be, but I think Brandon deserves the same leeway we give most public figures. 

@dantlee I'm guessing it's this one on Brandon's site.

https://brandonsanderson.com/euology-dumbledores-homosexuality/

Edit: this piece occasionally gets brought up as a way to disparage Brandon and/or his faith. Considering his writing, I think his views have evolved... But even if they haven't, he still chooses to depict people of differing beliefs than him as strong, capable, and human characters. 

Just look at Jasnah. She's a wonderful depiction of an atheist, that I relate strongly to, portrayed so well that many people who don't know Brandon's faith assume that he is an atheist himself after reading her. 

Whatever his beliefs are, if he's depicting these characters honestly and respectfully, then they're fantastic and thoughtfully written characters worth reading. 

Whether that is because of, or in spite of, his beliefs is irrelevant to me. 

Edited by Calderis

I don’t have much else to add because I agree with what pretty much everyone has said so far. I feel like I can add a little more perspective to this issue as a bisexual male myself.

I knew that Brandon was LDS long before I discovered the essay he wrote. I knew that he disagrees with me about homosexuality, or even bisexuality, yet that didn’t deter me from reading his books. Even after I read the essay (which, yes, the original does have its faults, but the foreword specifically addressed that, and I could tell through his more recent books that he has changed views anyway), I felt that he handled it relatively well, considering when he wrote it and what he believes. 

I don’t remember where I was going with this. Something about being friends with devout religious people who know I’m bi.

5 hours ago, dantlee said:

I think Drehy has already done a lot of interesting stuff (does saving Adolin and Gavinor's lives not count to you?)

Of course it does, this last scene in the cave in OB was soulcleansing.

For the other stuff, I knew it was probably a bad idea to write my first post, but this whole topic can get under my skin more than almost anything in the world.
I know I should've immediately digged further back in 2017, but I was too devastated for that. Fortunately, I see things a little differently now and while I still have a strong dislike for religion in any form, I do believe that Brandon is one of the good guys.
And honestly, a single, well-written gay person in a fantasy novel is more than many, many other fantasy writers I know of did. Or rather, I know of not a single one except Trudi Canavan, who ups this to eleven.

On 13.12.2018 at 7:52 AM, Winds Alight said:

And honestly, a single, well-written gay person in a fantasy novel is more than many, many other fantasy writers I know of did. Or rather, I know of not a single one except Trudi Canavan, who ups this to eleven.

Off the top of my head, have you read Fire's Stone by Tanya Huff? Two of the three main characters are bi guys who are really into each other (though it takes time to develop, as one is really repressed).

As for Drehy, I really do hope that we'll get some more screentime for all members of Bridge Four, him included. The small insights in Oathbringer were fun, but I really want more. Actually, what I really, really want is a Drehy interlude showing how he and Skar got out of Kholinar.

11 hours ago, Rasarr said:

Off the top of my head, have you read Fire's Stone by Tanya Huff? Two of the three main characters are bi guys who are really into each other (though it takes time to develop, as one is really repressed).

As for Drehy, I really do hope that we'll get some more screentime for all members of Bridge Four, him included. The small insights in Oathbringer were fun, but I really want more. Actually, what I really, really want is a Drehy interlude showing how he and Skar got out of Kholinar.

I am IN for a Drehy interlude! Or better, let's get him and Skar a novella that takes place while Kal & Co. are in Shadesmar. B)

I've never heard of this book, but I will check it out. Unfortunately, I really can't buy any new books rn, I have so many yet to read. And for now, it's a Cosmere reread anyways. Elantris here I come. :rolleyes:

Edited by Winds Alight

8 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

I am IN for a Drehy interlude! Or better, let's get him and Skar a novella that takes place while Kal & Co. are in Shadesmar. B)

I've never heard of this book, but I will check it out. Unfortunately, I really can't buy any new books rn, I have so many yet to read. And for now, it's a Cosmere reread anyways. Elantris here I come. :rolleyes:

Have you ever thought about going to a local library and checking out the book? If you have access to one, obviously.

• Chaos locked this topic