White Sand Vol. 3 Cover and Release Date

TruthlessofShinovar

Just a heads up - the third volume of White Sand now has a cover, plot description, and release date of June 25, 2019 over at Amazon! And I think it's the best cover of the three.

Check it: https://www.amazon.com/Brandon-Sandersons-White-Sand-3/dp/152411006X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544615315&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=white+sand+vol+3

Nice find!

Underpowered and overwhelmed, Kenton tries to hold the Sand Masters together as forces political and personal conspire against them. Now, in one final push, Kenton must tap the most dangerous depths of his own abilities to combat the enemies within his own guild, and discover the truth behind the ambush that killed his father and almost destroyed the Sand Masters for good.

wsv3.jpg

If that's representative of the art style I'm pumped. That's a perfect marriage between the original art style and the ending of volume 2, from what I can tell.

Anyone know anything about Fritz Casas? (apparently the new artist)

1 hour ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

The woman with the giant pompadour looks evil in the cover. I haven't read the prose, but I thought she was good in the last two GNs. Or at least more supportive of Kenton than the other political leaders. 

My thoughts as well. I'm gonna guess she's actually behind the attack on the sand masters.

11 hours ago, Jofwu said:

If that's representative of the art style I'm pumped. That's a perfect marriage between the original art style and the ending of volume 2, from what I can tell.

Anyone know anything about Fritz Casas? (apparently the new artist)

I agree that this is definitely a good art style. I did a quick google search for this Fritz Casas. It looks like he mostly does black and white art of superheroes. Some of it might be official I'm not sure. Oddly, not long into scrolling through google images, I found two pieces of the same character that would be considered by most people as NSFW. It wasn't super explicit or anything, but it's odd how quickly that comes up when searching him.

Edit: I did a bit more digging and found out he did the art for a comic called Lords of Mars which this character is from. Some of the cover art was censored on the website for it, and another depicted the character with a "bra" that covered exactly the nipples and nothing else. I want to be clear that I still think that based on the art style on the cover he will do a good job, but I just thought I would bring this up.

Edited by Ookla the Seon Are
More info found

On 12/12/2018 at 5:04 AM, Jofwu said:

Totally agree!
I hated volumes 1 and 2, but this one looks like we'll actually get to see visually what sand mastery looks like.
This art looks freaking amazing, and the number of ribbons of sand actually matches the book! Drile has a ton of ribbons and Kenton has a super powerful looking single ribbon.

I went from dreading this volume to actually being really excited about it! Didn't think I'd ever say this, but I am going to be pre-ordering Volume 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In interesting tidbit from the Skyward tour about slatrification in the third graphic novel:

Brandon Sanderson

For instance, in the White Sand books, my first book that I wrote, that we eventually turned into graphic novels. I had a really cool magic system that was about manipulating sand with your mind, and things like this. And then I added in a weird thing where you could transform sand into water for no good reason whatsoever. It doesn't match the rest the magic system. Because I wanted to write myself out of a hole. And as a newer writer, I did that a lot more. It ended up kind of getting canonized, and when we went back, I didn't fix it that fast, and so it ended up in the first graphic novel, and I'm like, "We need to fix this." So, the third graphic novel... we've given ourselves enough wiggle room, fortunately, that I can be like, "And that's not what people thought it was." Because I want it to be more consistent. So you get that third graphic novel, and you're like, "Wow, they can't do this anymore?" No one ever did it onscreen, so they were just wrong. 'Cause that totally just does not belong in that magic system.

[Source]

On 1/12/2019 at 11:29 AM, Pagerunner said:

In interesting tidbit from the Skyward tour about slatrification in the third graphic novel:

[Source]

Wow, so I guess they killed slatrification. That surprises me. We never see it happen in the first two volumes, but I skimmed over the first one with this in mind and I'm having a hard time seeing how it won't be a clunky change. There are a couple of scenes that will come across really strange in this case.

For example, the sandling at the end of the Mastrell's Path. Kenton assumes it is meant to test slatrification ability, and many people have obviously passed the test before him without the skills he used instead. So... how did all the others do it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 5:03 AM, Jofwu said:

Wow, so I guess they killed slatrification. That surprises me. We never see it happen in the first two volumes, but I skimmed over the first one with this in mind and I'm having a hard time seeing how it won't be a clunky change. There are a couple of scenes that will come across really strange in this case.

For example, the sandling at the end of the Mastrell's Path. Kenton assumes it is meant to test slatrification ability, and many people have obviously passed the test before him without the skills he used instead. So... how did all the others do it?

I guess the new canon will be that slatrification was never the solution to that puzzle, the usual sand masters would just be able to control enough ribbons that at least one of the ribbons would be able to get to the sphere without touching the terken sandling. Or maybe the  usual sand masters would have enough ribbons to hover over the sand and not disturb the sandling in the first place. 

I kind of agree that slatrification was a clunky part of the magic system, and it's much cleaner without it. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2019 at 11:03 PM, ftl said:

I guess the new canon will be that slatrification was never the solution to that puzzle, the usual sand masters would just be able to control enough ribbons that at least one of the ribbons would be able to get to the sphere without touching the terken sandling. Or maybe the  usual sand masters would have enough ribbons to hover over the sand and not disturb the sandling in the first place. 

I kind of agree that slatrification was a clunky part of the magic system, and it's much cleaner without it. 

Slatrification could still be the solution. If it's "not what people thought it was" then maybe instead of creating water they are simply pulling water from the air or something. That wouldn't be a big change, but it would be more reasonable than the original slatrification.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, aric93 said:

Slatrification could still be the solution. If it's "not what people thought it was" then maybe instead of creating water they are simply pulling water from the air or something. That wouldn't be a big change, but it would be more reasonable than the original slatrification.

I think the main problem is not the mechanics behind the creation of water - it's the creation of water itself.  The main restriction on Sandmastery is that you dehydrate yourself when using it, so you have to be careful not to overdo it.  Being able to completely bypass that restriction makes it pointless to even have it in the first place.  

On 4/8/2019 at 9:09 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

I think the main problem is not the mechanics behind the creation of water - it's the creation of water itself.  The main restriction on Sandmastery is that you dehydrate yourself when using it, so you have to be careful not to overdo it.  Being able to completely bypass that restriction makes it pointless to even have it in the first place.  

Perhaps powerful sandmasters can reverse this reaction rehydrating themselves or perhaps they move all the water in the lichin to make pools of it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...