Cosmere Reading Order?

Adzos

Hey guys,

I’m really interested in reading more of the cosmere books and I’m a little bit new to Sandersons work. Does anyone have a favoured reading order for getting the best out of them? Is there even an order or should I just jump into whatever series?

To make it simple, there's two series and two standalones. Mistborn and Stormlight Archive are the series, Elantris and Warbreaker are the standalones. As long as you read the books in a series in sequence, feel free to jump wherever you want! I would say read some blurbs and see which one strikes your fancy, as they're all great but different :)

Personally, I would recommend the Following:

Elantris
The Emperor's Soul
White Sand
Mistborn Era 1
*Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell
Warbreaker
Stormlight Archive (Insert Edgedancer before Oathbringer)
Mistborn Era 2
Mistborn: Secret History
Sixth of The Dusk

*The only one that is up in the air is Shadows for Silence in the Forest of Hell, I would recommend reading it before Mistborn Era 2 just because of a small thing in one of the broadsheets of Bands of Mourning.

Because there is a collection of novellas, I count them all in the same book. The order I recommend is very similar to published order (with exceptions):

Elantris

Warbreaker

Mistborn 

(Final Empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages, Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning)

Way of Kings

Words of Radiance

Ars Arcanum

Oathbringer

I basically followed this order, except for me Elantris and Warbreaker came after the first Mistborn trilogy, but a friend has been following this order and says he appreciated it.

• Chaos locked this topic