Bada bing, bada boom, Bevadon

Ripheus23

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

The Luthadel guard in The Final Empire, the garrison leader, his name is Bevadon, which sounds suspiciously like Bavadin. 

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It does. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is there any connection there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

RAFO.

source

Theorize, cremlings! *Cackles maniacally and dissolves into a flood of hordelings*

7 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

This should probably be in Cosmere Discussions. Regardless, do we have a description of him?

We only know three things: He was on guard when Ham and Vin visit, he was in the Garrison at Luthadel, and he was in Sertes's group. That's everything we know about Bevadon/Bevidon (apparently his name changes by a letter in some prints).

Just now, Invocation said:

We only know three things: He was on guard when Ham and Vin visit, he was in the Garrison at Luthadel, and he was in Sertes's group. That's everything we know about Bevadon/Bevidon (apparently his name changes by a letter in some prints).

Ah, so we're in wild baseless theory territory. Excellent. *Clears throat*

Clearly, he's Trell, and was trying to figure out if it was time to invade Scadrial yet, but decided that Ruin and Preservation were still too strong and active to take action yet. So, he waited for the past 300 years, until Sazed got warped by Harmony's Intent, and it's now harder for him to take action.

33 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

Ah, so we're in wild baseless theory territory. Excellent. *Clears throat*

Clearly, he's Trell, and was trying to figure out if it was time to invade Scadrial yet, but decided that Ruin and Preservation were still too strong and active to take action yet. So, he waited for the past 300 years, until Sazed got warped by Harmony's Intent, and it's now harder for him to take action.

I mean... Fuzz is pretty much falling apart and Ati has all but succumbed to his intent, wouldn't you think that would be the time to strike?

Alternately, they could  have to gotten stuck there because the perpendicularity is so dangerous.

Alternately, alternately, they may have been waiting to take the shards when Vin kamikazed Ati, but then Sazed stepped in.

Just now, da.mammoth said:

I mean... Fuzz is pretty much falling apart and Ati has all but succumbed to his intent, wouldn't you think that would be the time to strike?

Alternately, they could  have to gotten stuck there because the perpendicularity is so dangerous.

Alternately, alternately, they may have been waiting to take the shards when Vin kamikazed Ati, but then Sazed stepped in.

It doesn't seem like a great idea to throw down with an Intent warped shard named Ruin with anything less than another full shard. I don't know how much power the avatars of Autonomy may have, but even when weakened, Ruin is not to be underestimated. While yes, I think Preservation would be a pushover in the fight, Fuzz was basically acting on instinct and pre-planning at the time, and I don't think he could have stepped up to stop Ruin from stopping an outside the planet threat. Furthermore, if anything could have convinced Ruin and Preservation to act together (or just for Fuzz to not act against Ruin) it would be to protect their shared creation (in Ruin's case so that he could destroy it himself later.)

4 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

Exactly where I was going with this *cackles wildly*

4 hours ago, TousenShadowForged said:

is this a book I have to purchase im currently reading other stuff.

I don't really feel bothered by spoilers { unless its game of thrones}I haven't even read any books other than elantris warbreaker stormlight  and mistborn

If you're sure you don't mind spoilers, check out the summary here: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Mistborn:_Secret_History

• 2 months later...

It's also possible that Bevadon is not an agent of Bavadin, but that it's a product of Bavadin's long (though subtle) influence on Scadrian culture.  

We don't know when Autonomy first began meddling on Scadrial, but if you look at Sazed's description of (pre-Lord Ruler) trelagianism in TFE with Autonomy's many aspects in one thing, it seems like the Shard has been around since before the Final Empire. Perhaps the name Bavadin made it's way into cultural use (changing slightly over time),

Spoiler

kinda like Odium's influence on Rosharan culture being behind the Passions

[minor Stormlight spoiler]

In this case it would simply be evidence that good ol' Bavvy has been messing with Scadrial for a VERY long time.

But there's an even more disturbing possibility (cue scary music): Brandon just RAFO'd that question to mess with us, and it's not important at all :o

Edited by WhiteEmporer

• Chaos locked this topic