[OB] I need emotional support (spoilers)

Winds Alight

I hope it's okay to make a thread like this, but I really really need a little bit of support right now.
I'm reading OB for the first time right now and have reached a point where I don't know how to continue my life. (That's more serious than it sounds, I have to work now and won't be able to continue reading for about 13 hours. I don't know how I'm supposed to concentrate on work right now.)

I'm talking about Elhokar, of course. I mean. He was about to speak The Words! He was starting to GLOW!
Oh why must this happen?

And why has Kaladin have to be there? He did not deserve this. This whole scene was so, so utterly unfair.
I cried more than during any other scene throughout all books.
He had such a good run during the book so far! It's not that I was utterly surprised about this. I mean. Of course things can't be good for Kaladin. Not for more than two days in a row, it seems.

Nobody deserved this to happen.

Please. What am I supposed to do? ;______;

I also cried when reading this scene. And I hardly ever cry. I am usually an emotional iceblock. But goodness, I was not able to read on right away. I needed to get over Elhokar's death - a character that I did not like initially, but who grew on me during Oathbringer (to damnation with you Brandon Sanderson). And Kaladin.. This scene was just so heartbreaking.. 

As I said.. I am not a very emotional person and a very bad empath. I can't really give you advise on how to move on. But I would strongly suggest reading on. The ending of Oathbringer is worth the sorrow (thank you Brandon Sanderson)! I was crying then as well, but with Gloryspren and Happyspren (if there is such a thing) popping up over my head. :rolleyes:

Edited by equinox
Typos

Yeah, not gonna lie, that got me pretty good too. Elhokar was becoming a pretty cool guy around that time, and I was interested to see him in a new capacity as another Kholin Radiant. The only real way to get over that section is to continue reading, unless the knowledge that at least he lasted this long in this version comforts you. Originally, Dalinar killed him all the way back Way of Kings Prime. At least he got characterization this time!

Keep reading, though, and if this is your first Sanderson series...you've got a storm coming.

Thanks, you two.

I'm very emotional when it comes to reading, but it very rarely happens that I get like this. I'm a mess.

The problem right now is, I desperately WANT to read on, but I'm sitting at work and hating every minute of it. Who needs to earn money anyways. Or food. Let me read!
Eleven more hours to go ...

@Invocation
It's not my first Sanderson series, but I'll have to reread all of the Cosmere. I forgot practically everything. Which is inconvenient as I read Warbreaker years ago and I KNOW I should recognize things in OB. But I don't. Meh. :P

Salvation does not come right in the next chapter. You still have way to go in Oathbringer (lucky you - I wished I hadn't finished reading yet). So if you continue your "usual day life-reading-routine", you will be fine. Jumping into the next chapter won't help immediately anyways. So keep on living (working, eating, etc.). Live before death. Strenght before weakness. Journey before destination. :)

Just now, equinox said:

Salvation does not come right in the next chapter. You still have way to go in Oathbringer (lucky you - I wished I hadn't finished reading yet). So if you continue your "usual day life-reading-routine", you will be fine. Jumping into the next chapter won't help immediately anyways. So keep on living (working, eating, etc.). Live before death. Strenght before weakness. Journey before destination. :)

Hehe, I did read on, way more than I should have, but the lot's still stuck in Shadesmar and I feel utterly annoyed by the number of POVs in part four. I really don't need the white-pajama-Szeth, or Taravangian right now. I really don't. Go away.
No, go kill Moash. Slowly. Painfully.

19 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

I really don't need the white-pajama-Szeth, or Taravangian right now. I really don't. Go away.
No, go kill Moash. Slowly. Painfully.

I kinda like Szeth (at least after reading Oathbringer, before I mostly pitied him). And who doesn't love sword-nimi :lol:? Mr. T's story is so, so intriguing (Cultivation, you schemer!). And Moash the poor guy? No wait. I agree. Please, somebody kill him already after his betrayal of Kaladin in WoR! Or better: Send him to Braize for a nice couple of thousand years long torture. But I still like his POVs for getting glimpses into the Singers' life. I actually hate the Fused much more than I hate Moash.

I actually kinda like Szeth as well aaand I always wished for more POV chapters from him, just not right now. :lol:
(Taravangian on the other hand I completely and utterly despise.)

I'm not yet sure about the Fused vs. Moash though.
The Fused are jerks obviously, but with Moash it's personal.
Very, very personal.
(I actually HAD some pity for him left during his first chapters when he was so completely in over his head, but ... nope. Though it's interesting how his journey somehow mirrors Kaladin's, just with very, very different motivations and solutions.)

Edited by Winds Alight

It might not help that much, but reflect on the fact that Brandon delivers *at least* 3 books for the price of one with every Stormlight novel. You still have plenty of 'story' ahead of you to make up for what has happened. Other authors would definitely have signed this novel off at the point (shortly after Elhokar's death) when our heroes become trapped in Shadesmar. At least you only have a turn of a page to find out what happens next rather than the turn of several years ! 

3 minutes ago, Croaker's Apprentice said:

It might not help that much, but reflect on the fact that Brandon delivers *at least* 3 books for the price of one with every Stormlight novel. You still have plenty of 'story' ahead of you to make up for what has happened. Other authors would definitely have signed this novel off at the point (shortly after Elhokar's death) when our heroes become trapped in Shadesmar. At least you only have a turn of a page to find out what happens next rather than the turn of several years ! 

I try to imagine what it would have felt like to read Stormlight in German.
The publisher divides every book in two, which means The Way of Kings is actually two volumes that were published a few months apart.
Just imagine. I dare you.

(Luckily, I decided early on to read those books in English :D)

15 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

I try to imagine what it would have felt like to read Stormlight in German.
The publisher divides every book in two, which means The Way of Kings is actually two volumes that were published a few months apart.
Just imagine. I dare you.

(Luckily, I decided early on to read those books in English :D)

Don't get me started on the paperback editions in the UK; they are also split into two separate volumes for each Stormlight novel (apparently by someone just randomly sticking a finger on a page) and the back cover blurbs seem to have been written by someone who may have flicked through a few pages, but certainly hasn't read the whole story... 

It's a bit like the Louvre chopping the Mona Lisa in two and displaying each half on different days ... Stormlight is a work of art and each volume must not be...splintered ! 

Did they make the cut in WoK where Kaladin has been strung up in the Highstorm and is barely alive? I believe that's where they did it in the German version. Not fair.

I looked once in a German edition and was flabbergasted by the translation.
All names with a "sh" have been changed into the very German "sch", so Shallan is Schallan, Roshone is Roschone and so on. It looks horrible. Highprinces are basically "big princes" or something.

(I kinda just spoilered myself concerning baby Gavinor. I hate spoilers, but at least I have some peace of mind now. I almost hate Moash as much for killing Elhokar as I hate him for kicking a small child. Booooooh.)

Edited by Winds Alight

2 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

I looked once in a German edition and was flabbergasted by the translation.
All names with a "sh" have been changed into the very German "sch", so Shallan is Schallan, Roshone is Roschone and so on. It looks horrible. Highprinces are basically "big princes" or something.

In my language (yeah, the most beautiful and Very hard one) is sh written like š. Let me give you a sentence for example.

Moji nejoblíbenější Rytíři Paprsku jsou Kaladin Bouří požehnaný, Šalán Davarová, Dalinar Kholin, Jasna Kholinová a Szet-syn-syn-Valano.

Cool, isn't it?

Moash = Moraš

Rock = Skála

Pattern = Vzorek

Stormfather = Bouřepán

Cultivation = Rozvoj

Odium = Zášť

Wit = Filuta (that one is actually much better in my language:lol:)

Edited by NoiseSpren

7 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

All names with a "sh" have been changed into the very German "sch", so Shallan is Schallan, Roshone is Roschone and so on. It looks horrible.

To be fair, I pronounce spren in a slightly germanic way (shpren). I always wondered if anyone else thinks the same way.

6 hours ago, NoiseSpren said:

Wit = Filuta (that one is actually much better in my language:lol:)

Can you translate it back to English? Or describe, why it's better?

Btw.. If Highprince is translated to Großprinz ("big prince") in German, I don't think that it sounds too silly. It would be similar to a Großherzog (Grand Duke) and thus be quite fitting on a German context... 

@Winds Alight I can totally relate to your frustration. Right after Elhokar became more sympathetic, and right when he’s about to become a Radiant, Moash, the bastard, comes out of nowhere and kills him. I had to set the book down (of course, when I first read it, it was on my phone, but that’s beside the point) and go eat. It killed me holding in the rage and emotion as I talked to my little brother, also an avid Cosmere fan, and tried not to mention his death.

Elhokar became a very human character in Oathbringer (and so Brandon was leading us all by the nose, playing the reader's emotions like a DJ as he was killed off).  It's so cruel... but I still can't hate the creator of half my soul. The development of the other characters also (Adolin, Pattern, Szeth, etc. (especially Nightblood)) really made the story GO.

Edited by Brightness Warrior

@NoiseSpren The names look really cool!
Wit is "Schelm" in German, which might be a somewhat accurate translation, but still, I can't take is seriously.

@equinox I'm honestly not sure whether there is a better translation. "Hochprinz" still souns kinda ... weird.
Guess it may be because I like the English "high" so much, soundwise :P
(But, I have to admit, "Großsturm" for highstorm reminds me of Nazi war propaganda, so. It's a bit unfortunate.)

I made good progress yesterday. Don't think I will be able to finish OB today, but who knows, I know from experience that I might be physically unable to stop reading on the last 200 pages. :lol:
Kaladin's and Shallan's conversation aboard the ship in Shadesmar brought back my will to live :wub: *dramaspren pop up*
(Kaladin's suffering was as bad as Elhokar's death for me. Whenever he's unhappy, I suffer with him.)

Edited by Winds Alight

Perhaps the story of a bad day in my life can help:

You need to know that the birthday of my daughter is the 11.7. - short time before the release date of OB.

And that in Germany the book was delivered before this release date.

And that I personally had two secondary characters I was interested in before OB - Elhokar and Moash.

Long story short - I was able to get one example of OB and decided to send it to my daughter as a birthday gift using up all the  motherly love for a year.

But before I wrapped it up in gift paper I thought to look at the pictures in the first chapters.

And then to read one - only one -  page somewhere in the middle.

The first thing I read was:

"Lowering his spear, Moash ran Elhokar throught the chest."

At the same time I realized that I couldn 't talk about this because of spoilers.

This happened shortly before I started my lesson and until today my pupils ask about the next book in the hope something like this will happen again.

4 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

Soooo I kinda just reached the end of part four. Ya know, where old Vargo releases The Thing about the First Desolation and humans? About the Recreance?

I am not certain I'm able to deal with this.

My mind is dangerously close to exploding right now.

Watch out! Danger of avalanches!