Voidspren

Steel Inquisitive

So... Stop me if this has already been talked to death:)

Is there anything stopping a voidspren (such as the messengers) from forming a nahel bond? They seem just like the other radiant spren. Intelligent, strong and have free will. (Big difference being the radiant spren are a mixture of H&C while voidspren are pure Odium.)

Is this what voidbinding is? 

Edited by Steel Inqusitive

There is not, sort of. The Nahel Bond is a cosmere wide phenomenon, but it is expressed differently on Roshar. Rosharans have to swear oaths to keep the nahel bond from breaking.  Voidspren can form nahel bonds with humans. They just don't unless you count Gyls or whatever bonded with Sadeas's army at the end of Oathbringer.

@Calderis

Thadamin

How important are Bonds like the Nahel Bond and a Seon bond in the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

I'd say very important.

Thadamin

Is this kind of bond relatively common or is what seons, spren, and night blood do little more rare among splinters. I'm specifically talking about the act of making bonds not a giving of magic powers really, that appearing to be function of Roshar. Also regarding your post about storm light 3 I am personally ok with 2000 pages if need be so make the chapters as long as you want.:)

Brandon Sanderson

The bonding is basically the same mechanic, regardless of the world, just with different flavoring. Roshar isn't the only place where the bond gives powers; it's a matter of what's stuffed into the soul, and how.

source

Last answer.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:40 PM, Calderis said:

Nahel is a Rosharan word.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Why is it called a Nahel bond?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That is a word in Rosharan. I'm not sure what it meant in 2002, but it basically just means "the bond to divinity." I'm not sure what the 2002 version of the linguistics plays out as. I actually just called it Nahel in the original draft. I added "bond" in as I prepared this [Way of Kings Prime excerpt] for reading so it would make more sense to people.

source

So, it amounts under the general circumstances of the Cosmere (the Shards being functionally divine) to "bonding involving the Shards," so all the bonds would be Nahel bonds, in a sense.

2 minutes ago, Turtle373 said:

yes but only on Roshar is it called a Nahel bond, the other planets' bonds aren't called that, for instance all they say is they're bonded to their seons, its never called anything specific

Well technically it's not called "a divine bond" on any world in the Cosmere, since they don't speak English :P

EDIT: Also, on Sel they don't know that the seons are remnants of a divine being.

Edited by Ripheus23

"Nahel" may have carried over from WoK prime, but it is still a Rosharan word, and it probably isn't as simple as "divine" as Zahel is built with the same suffix, 

Kythis

The name 'Zahel' and 'nahel bonds' are both very similar so is it just coincidental or is it part of . . . ?

Brandon Sanderson

It is part of the linguistics.  They are based off of similar suffixes.  They're actually the same suffix I believe.  

source

Again, this is all semantics, and I think calling all bonds Nahel bonds is like calling all splinters spren. 

Even if the Rosharans would use it that way, it's storming stupid. 

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

"Nahel" may have carried over from WoK prime, but it is still a Rosharan word, and it probably isn't as simple as "divine" as Zahel is built with the same suffix, 

Again, this is all semantics, and I think calling all bonds Nahel bonds is like calling all splinters spren. 

Even if the Rosharans would use it that way, it's storming stupid. 

This falls into theoryland, but I think the bagel bond is the focus on Roshar, and that the magic system forever changed how nahel bonds work on Roshar.

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

This falls into theoryland, but I think the bagel bond is the focus on Roshar, and that the magic system forever changed how nahel bonds work on Roshar.

Personally, I think the Surges themselves are the focus at this point, but for the longest time I believed it was bonds, and I'm still. Partial to that... I'm just not sure if Voidbinding requires bonds yet or not. 

That said, I can see a similarity between Nahel spren bonds and those like a Seon... But to say that Fabrials and singer gemhearts are "Nahel bonds" I very strongly disagree with. 

23 hours ago, Calderis said:

I think the "el" part refers to divinity, since "Elithanathile" is the "true name of God," and "el" is also "God" in IRL-Hebrew, which is relevant to the IRL comparison to Vorinism. "Nah" might mean "bond," but "Zah," IDK.

EDIT: So "Nahel bond" would be like "ATM machine" or "PIN number" I suppose :P

Edited by Ripheus23

• Chaos locked this topic