What happens when...

Invocation

The command must be accompanied by a mental visual of what is desired, so the awakener will decide how the object will try and destroy itself. 

Barring Nightblood and the Returned, I'm not recalling any commands that did not perform physical actions. So unless you have a couple thousand breaths to spare, imploding or exploding is unlikely. A more likely method is that the object would attempt to tear itself into pieces, or jumping might work too.

2 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

Barring Nightblood and the Returned, I'm not recalling any commands that did not perform physical actions. So unless you have a couple thousand breaths to spare, imploding or exploding is unlikely

I'm talking artificially stuck in place, like with Adhesion or something.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

I'm talking artificially stuck in place, like with Adhesion or something.

Is this a separate question from the "destroy yourself" thing? If the awakened object is tied down or otherwise held in place, it will still try to fulfill its command. Awakened objects can be pretty strong, so it might just tear itself out of whatever's holding it down. Or it will just sit there, straining against its bonds, nothing too exciting.

11 hours ago, Saodar said:

What would happen if you were Cosmere-aware and Commanded an object to move to a different realm? Would this be possible?

I believe the object would either attempt to find the nearest perpendicularlity, or actually attempt to physically go to that realm.

By that I mean, some Era.3 people might see an awakened rocket flying through space. 

23 hours ago, Saodar said:

What would happen if you were Cosmere-aware and Commanded an object to move to a different realm? Would this be possible?

Awakening all but has to have a mechanism for worldhopping, given that both Vivenna and earlier the Five Scholars made it off-world.  Whether it requires the Shardworld perpendicularity or can accomplish it on it's own like the Surges can, I cant say one way or the other.

Now, if you are talking a Type IV Awakening I think you could do it and would have made what amounts to a sentient Transportation Fabrial, though I assume you'd still need to feed it Investiture to function. 

23 hours ago, Saodar said:

If you could construct the proper visualization in your head for how jump to a different realm, then the awakened object would do it. But you would have to know how to worldhop already.

Awakening is more of a watch the object follow your instructions to the t, or fail along the way scenario. Not watch the object figure out how to accomplish the command. Although the sentient awakened objects might be an exception.

22 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Awakening all but has to have a mechanism for worldhopping, given that both Vivenna and earlier the Five Scholars made it off-world.  Whether it requires the Shardworld perpendicularity or can accomplish it on it's own like the Surges can, I cant say one way or the other.

The ability to use the shardpool is irrelevant to breaths and awakening, so no guarantee that there is worldhopping via breaths.

1 hour ago, Wandering Investor said:

The ability to use the shardpool is irrelevant to breaths and awakening, so no guarantee that there is worldhopping via breaths.

It's my understanding that you have to be Invested (as in the Lightkeeper's use of the term, not the Innate investiture of all living things) to actually use a shardpool to transition realms.  I dont have the exact quote, but somewhere it was mentioned that one of the reasons that Worldhoppers are relatively hard to kill is that by virtue of being able to use a perpendicularity to Worldhop they can flee in a way almost nobody can follow. 

Khriss and Nazh have no trouble worldhopping using the Perpendicularities to transition between Realms and neither of them is Invested in the same way that Kaladin is. What happened with Riino was more that you need some extra quantity of Investiture to see anything in the Fortune globe. Baon is also explicitly not Invested and seems ot have no problems worldhopping.

Nalthis has Cognitive customs and caravans between worlds. 

Keyword, "caravans." 

Considering the way transitiom happens, you need enough breath and know the command (and proper visualization... Weird) for transition between realms, which should require a bunch of breaths, and probably be one of the self commands we know so little about. 

I doubt that you're getting enough people with enough breath and knowledge of Awakening that travel would require established customs and and caravan routes. 

Spoilers for Mistborn and Elantris. 

Spoiler

Questioner

Hoid worldhops between places. How did he do it on Scadrial? With Ati's body?

Brandon Sanderson

So, there were two perpendicularities on Scadrial.

Questioner

I know he uses the pools, but how did he do it with Pits of Hathsin? There was no pool? The body was there...

Brandon Sanderson

So, it doesn't have to be going through the pool. What happens with a perpendicularity is, where there is a massive collection of Investiture, it pulls a conduit through. So, if you know what you're doing and where you are, you can get through that.

Questioner

So you don't have to use the pools, just where there's a huge concentration...

Brandon Sanderson

A huge concentration of Investiture will warp the realms.

Questioner

So can anyone worldhop that way, then? If they know what to do?

Brandon Sanderson

If they know what to do, in a perpendicularity, anyone should be able to get through there. But as proven with Raoden, if you don't know what it's supposed to do, nothing happens. He gets dumped int he pool, he thinks he's gonna die... nothing. So, it's more than just being there.

Questioner

That's how he went from the Physical to the Cognitive, so I was wondering how did he do that at the Pits of Hathsin, when there shouldn't be a pool there

Brandon Sanderson

Well, that is the equivalent.

source

"if you don't know what it's supposed to do, nothing happens" 

As is key with just about everything, a perpendicularity requires Intent. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 1:50 PM, Calderis said:

Nalthis has Cognitive customs and caravans between worlds. 

Keyword, "caravans." 

Considering the way transition happens, you need enough breath and know the command (and proper visualization... Weird) for transition between realms, which should require a bunch of breaths, and probably be one of the self commands we know so little about. 

I doubt that you're getting enough people with enough breath and knowledge of Awakening that travel would require established customs and and caravan routes. 

Spoilers for Mistborn and Elantris. 

Hide contents

Questioner

Hoid worldhops between places. How did he do it on Scadrial? With Ati's body?

Brandon Sanderson

So, there were two perpendicularities on Scadrial.

Questioner

I know he uses the pools, but how did he do it with Pits of Hathsin? There was no pool? The body was there...

Brandon Sanderson

So, it doesn't have to be going through the pool. What happens with a perpendicularity is, where there is a massive collection of Investiture, it pulls a conduit through. So, if you know what you're doing and where you are, you can get through that.

Questioner

So you don't have to use the pools, just where there's a huge concentration...

Brandon Sanderson

A huge concentration of Investiture will warp the realms.

Questioner

So can anyone worldhop that way, then? If they know what to do?

Brandon Sanderson

If they know what to do, in a perpendicularity, anyone should be able to get through there. But as proven with Raoden, if you don't know what it's supposed to do, nothing happens. He gets dumped int he pool, he thinks he's gonna die... nothing. So, it's more than just being there.

Questioner

That's how he went from the Physical to the Cognitive, so I was wondering how did he do that at the Pits of Hathsin, when there shouldn't be a pool there

Brandon Sanderson

Well, that is the equivalent.

source

"if you don't know what it's supposed to do, nothing happens" 

As is key with just about everything, a perpendicularity requires Intent. 

Huh, that's weird I didnt know Nalthis actually had established "Customs" for realmic travel.  A self command seems like it would be too expensive and limiting to do it (assuming you cannot recover the Breaths after you transition), especailly if there are a bunch of people in said caravan.  And if it worked like Elsecalling it wouldnt restrict the entry points enough to establish workable Border Customs.  I'd think awakening a more permanent Portal might work better.

• Chaos locked this topic