Wait, wait, WHAT'S this about Kaladin??? [would be spoilers except that it's apparently a WOB]

Necessary Eagle

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Will Kaladin find a love interest in Book Four before he dies in Book Five?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

RAFO.

source

I haven't been paying as much attention to Cosmere stuff lately... but Kaladin is supposed to DIE in book five? When did Brandon say this? Since when does Brandon "RAFO" Sanderson spoil things like that anyway? Is this some sort of fandom in-joke I'm missing?

11 hours ago, Zelly said:

Between The Hero of Ages and Oathbringer, I'm a bit nervously protective of pretty much everyone in the cosmere.

Me too, as far as I know the Cosmere. (I'm SO out of it save for Stormlight D:)

If Kaladin dies, I'll turn into a Voidbringer and bring upon a Desolation. So he better won't.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, Nathrangking said:

RAFO as brandon has discussed in another WoB does not always mean that someone has stumbled onto a secret. He sometimes uses it when he does not have an answer or does not want to go one way or another. 

On 12/7/2018 at 3:51 PM, RShara said:

The speaker is making an assumption that Brandon doesn't answer one way or another. So no, it doesn't mean Kaladin dies. It doesn't mean Kaladin lives. And it doesn't mean Kaladin will get a successful love interest. :(

I was just wondering why the questioner would be making such an assumption in the first place.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:06 PM, What's a Seawolf? said:

I think the questioner was just trying to be clever.  Any simple answer from Brandon could have been construed as 'spoilers.'

Yes - omg Kaladin dies in book 5.

No - omg Kaladin dies in book 5.

RAFO - omg Kaladin might die in book 5.

Oh, so you're saying the person was trying to trick Brandon into a spoiler? Weird way to go about it, and there's no point unless you already have  strong reason to believe he might die then in the first place, but I can't think of any other explanation.

Edited by Necessary Eagle
spelling

4 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

Oh, so you're saying the person was trying to trick Brandon into a spoiler?

Yeah it looks to me like a bad attempt to get Brandon to incidentally confirm a theory he had or something like that. I wouldn't worry about it

Nooooioioioio! Kaladin! My love! You can't die! We are supposed to get married and travel the Cosmere with Renarin!!! 

Brandon if you kill off Kaladin, I will be so distraught and sad!

Mistborn spoilers...

Spoiler

Please I could barely take Vin and Elend's death!

Have mercy! Please, I hope you were just trolling! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Edited by whattheHoid

I agree with everyone else.  The questioner is trying to be sneaky and have Brandon reveal extra information about Kaladin's fate, so Brandon RAFO'd it to avoid falling into the trap one way or the other, since he knows his answers are picked apart relentlessly!

13 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Err spoilers for Mistborn? Oh, sorry is that still a thing? I'll fix it! Did it!

Not to beat a dead horse, but you might want to label that your spoiler tag is in fact for Mistborn.  Right now someone could click it thinking it's SA spoiler and get quite the shock...

Edited by cfphelps

If Kal dies, I don't think I'd be okay..

Well, that depends on how he dies, and under what circumstances. Is he slipping into the void peacefully, content with his life? Or is there still something to do? Is his vitality drained without consent? I can't decide on how to feel until I have context.

5 minutes ago, Brightness Warrior said:

If Kal dies, I don't think I'd be okay..

Well, that depends on how he dies, and under what circumstances. Is he slipping into the void peacefully, content with his life? Or is there still something to do? Is his vitality drained without consent? I can't decide on how to feel until I have context.

Worst possible ending: Moash/Vyre stabs him in the back as he tries to protect Dalinar in the battle of champions.

35 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Worst possible ending: Moash/Vyre stabs him in the back as he tries to protect Dalinar in the battle of champions.

Of course, that could be the exact thing that enables Teft to succeed in protecting Dalinar because he doesn't have hangups about Moash/Vyre so in the end it's a heroic sacrifice from Kaladin that manages to protect Dalinar after all...leaving his soul content and satisfied and enabling him to not be sucked into the soul sucking knife....

1 minute ago, Juanaton said:

Of course, that could be the exact thing that enables Teft to succeed in protecting Dalinar because he doesn't have hangups about Moash/Vyre so in the end it's a heroic sacrifice from Kaladin that manages to protect Dalinar after all...leaving his soul content and satisfied and enabling him to not be sucked into the soul sucking knife....

Or it could break the spirits of all of Bridge Four. They see him as nearly invincible at this point, and losing him would throw them back into the Honor's Chasm of despair.