Power Level Reform

kenod

Era Three Proposals   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we adopt Kenod's Laws (link in OP)? (Yes: check box beside each you want adopted. No, or if you want any adjustments made: don't check box.)

• Law of Community Approval
    • Law of Consequences
    • Law of Proportional Weaknesses
    • Law of Inverse Power Morality Correlation (the Mraize Addendum)
    • I would not like to adopt any of these laws
  2. 2. Would you like to adopt Kenod's Law of Power Increase?

• Yes, as it is currently written.
    • Yes, in principle. But it needs adjustment.
    • No.
    • No opinion.
  3. 3. Would you like a points system to be used to quantify how powerful characters are when they are being approved? (Note: mods may still use their discretion)

• Yes, for character creation. (RPers consciously reference list when making characters)
    • Yes, for analysis. (May be used by mods to help determine if characters are too OP, but isn't advertised)
    • No, I prefer our current system
    • No opinion.

Okay. I guess I'm good with that. I do want to re-address the problem of not letting people have characters becuase their investiture would be rare, but is treated as common. I think that they should be notified that their are already several people with this power, but it shouldn't be blocked, becuase of that. Again, if I had Walker, and I was told that there were already 3 steel compounders, Walker would probably be a windrunner, and have an avian, but wouldn't be a steel compounder, or I might have kept him, or I might have been driven off. I probably would have been driven off. So, they must have plausible reasons why they have their powers, but they must also be allowed ot have the characters they want.

Again I'm assuming you mean an extradition treaty?

Or are people so sick of DA exposition that we need a treaty to stop us worldbuilding any further?

Yeah that'll need to be an in character thing. And more likely a case by case situation.

So, everyone, you know how the Alleycity is divided by what guild holds those parts of land? Or maybe it isn’t, but still, I think that having different laws among the guilds is impossible, especially in such a small area. As a wise person once told me, “If weed was legal in Wisconsin, then I could drive over there, buy some, then drive back into Minnesota with legally obtained weed (paraphrased) (for the record, this was a hypothetical conversation).” This can’t possibly work, since differing laws among states in the US, which is way, way bigger than the Alleycity, are hard to enforce, so enforcing differing laws among a single city would be nay impossible. 

So, I come to the conclusion that the Great Guilds have to decide a set of laws that works for everyone, and can be enforced by everyone. 

I think it’s safe to use the US Constitution (Amendments included) as a starting point. Actually, I haven’t seen all the Amendments, so maybe not. 

1 hour ago, Ookla the Meme-Thief said:

So, everyone, you know how the Alleycity is divided by what guild holds those parts of land? Or maybe it isn’t, but still, I think that having different laws among the guilds is impossible, especially in such a small area. As a wise person once told me, “If weed was legal in Wisconsin, then I could drive over there, buy some, then drive back into Minnesota with legally obtained weed (paraphrased) (for the record, this was a hypothetical conversation).” This can’t possibly work, since differing laws among states in the US, which is way, way bigger than the Alleycity, are hard to enforce, so enforcing differing laws among a single city would be nay impossible. 

So, I come to the conclusion that the Great Guilds have to decide a set of laws that works for everyone, and can be enforced by everyone. 

I think it’s safe to use the US Constitution (Amendments included) as a starting point. Actually, I haven’t seen all the Amendments, so maybe not.

I think we've already solved that problem here, actually. Read through the rest of the next page, too, for more info.

I think the three questions should be something along the lines of:

1. Should we adopt Kenod's laws? (will need to link these in OP)

2. There was one or two laws that were contentious. Should ask about them specifically (whichever ones got a lot of debate. Or just modify the laws to accommodate). 

3. Should we adopt the points system? (If it's a yes, we'll get the guys who run the character list to flush it out and start using it for E3)

I don't have time to do it now, but I can put up a poll later today if everyone's cool with that.  

1 hour ago, Ookla the Paragon said:

2. There was one or two laws that were contentious. Should ask about them specifically (whichever ones got a lot of debate. Or just modify the laws to accommodate). 

3. Should we adopt the points system? (If it's a yes, we'll get the guys who run the character list to flush it out and start using it for E3)

I don't have time to do it now, but I can put up a poll later today if everyone's cool with that.  

Let’s make sure that we specify if the point system is used for character creation as opposed to character analysis.

Edited by Ookla the [REDACTED]

1 hour ago, Ookla the Paragon said:

For the proposals I created I want to note a couple of things first, based on the feedback.

1. If we're going with the points system, even for analysis, the power plausibility rule should be scrapped. This one was mainly intended as a balancing system, and the points system would fulfill this role better, in a way that is better for dealing with unusual but interesting combinations.
  2. The main issue I found people had with them was the amount of restrictions that they placed, especially the power increase rule. I'd say that this one would have to be given more detail before being implemented, creating better limits for what would be allowed without community consent and what wouldn't be.
  3. I think that when putting the rules in there, we should have 3 options: Agree, needs adjustment and disagree.

For the points system question I agree with what Mac has said, and that we'll need an option both for using it as an analysis tool and as an actual character creation system.

I just realized that I totally dibsed the creation of this poll, when Kenod could have done it. Sorry Kenod, I forgot you could do it too as the maker of the OP. You should have told me to stand down!

Anyways, I’m trying something new here. I’ve made the first question's options multiple choice, so for each option, people can vote for multiple answers. The result is it looks like four times as many people voted. But this way we can ask about all the laws and not exceed our three question limit. When reading the data for those ones, treat them like they’re separate questions. Then compare the total number of ‘yeses’ to the total number of voters to see if they got a majority.

I'm fairly confident those ones will get through. If they don't, then we can rework them or make a more specific question to see why. I made the Power Increase one separate so that we can get the agree/somewhat agree/disagree options, since we know it's contentious. At Kenod's recommendation, I did not include the first law about reasonableness. 

As always, tell me (or kenod) if there's any problems with the poll (including badly worded questions or poor choice or possible answers).

Here's the link to the laws:

10 minutes ago, Ookla the Paragon said:

I just realized that I totally dibsed the creation of this poll, when Kenod could have done it. Sorry Kenod, I forgot you could do it too as the maker of the OP. You should have told me to stand down!

Anyways, I’m trying something new here. I’ve made the first question's options multiple choice, so for each option, people can vote for multiple answers. The result is it looks like four times as many people voted. But this way we can ask about all the laws and not exceed our three question limit. When reading the data for those ones, treat them like they’re separate questions. Then compare the total number of ‘yeses’ to the total number of voters to see if they got a majority.

I'm fairly confident those ones will get through. If they don't, then we can rework them or make a more specific question to see why. I made the Power Increase one separate so that we can get the agree/somewhat agree/disagree options, since we know it's contentious. At Kenod's recommendation, I did not include the first law about reasonableness. 

As always, tell me (or kenod) if there's any problems with the poll (including badly worded questions or poor choice or possible answers).

Here's the link to the laws:

Everything seems alright. I also prefer that you did it, mainly because I didn't know the multiple choice option.