Power Level Reform

kenod

Era Three Proposals   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we adopt Kenod's Laws (link in OP)? (Yes: check box beside each you want adopted. No, or if you want any adjustments made: don't check box.)

• Law of Community Approval
    • Law of Consequences
    • Law of Proportional Weaknesses
    • Law of Inverse Power Morality Correlation (the Mraize Addendum)
    • I would not like to adopt any of these laws
  2. 2. Would you like to adopt Kenod's Law of Power Increase?

• Yes, as it is currently written.
    • Yes, in principle. But it needs adjustment.
    • No.
    • No opinion.
  3. 3. Would you like a points system to be used to quantify how powerful characters are when they are being approved? (Note: mods may still use their discretion)

• Yes, for character creation. (RPers consciously reference list when making characters)
    • Yes, for analysis. (May be used by mods to help determine if characters are too OP, but isn't advertised)
    • No, I prefer our current system
    • No opinion.

17 hours ago, Ookla the spearman said:

The only reason a channeler can be plausible is the fact that he has an extremely obvious weakness that's pretty easy to exploit.  The mere fact that they can just wrap up anyone who challenges them with air and keep them immobile pretty much perpetually is OP.  And it doesn't matter how weak you are, any strength level channeler can pull this off.  For instance, Galvris's weakness is that any strength rioter could take control, due to the amount of spikes he has.

As for a point guidelines, I'm opposed to this.  While it would be great to be able to judge character's strength, it takes away any semblance of creative writing, and turns this into a roll of the dice.  Plus, weaker characters wouldn't challenge characters just a few points above them, and the alleyverse would grow lethargic.  Beyond that, it wouldn't eliminate the possibility for broken OP characters.  While I can understand why this would be useful, I think it would harm more than help.  

Not necessarily, they could be really weak. I think that it should mostly be inexperienced channelers, so they can do the whole development thing, not starting out ridiculous. 

I agree with the second point.

Edited by Kidpen

15 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Not necessarily, they could be really weak. I think that it should mostly be inexperienced channelers, so they can do the whole development thing, not starting out ridiculous. 

I would have to disagree with that. For a channeler to be fair they need to have either serious mental blocks like Nynaeve or be incredebly weak and niche like androl. Channelling is incredibly over powered. It wasn’t designed as a Sanderson magic system, which all follow similar rules. 

To put this in perspective, a mid level combat ready channeler could easily take on mistborn, awakeners, feruchemists, sand masters, most KR, and maybe elantrians. Definately fjordell monks and forgers.

Channelers have loads of range and a Ton of opportunities to control any fight. If your channeler has access and decent training in basic weaves they can take on most forms of investiture. 

Theres a reason why the white tower had all of their channelers swear oaths to never use their powers to hurt another person, a rouge channeler could be nearly unstoppable. 

24 minutes ago, Ookla the [REDACTED] said:

I would have to disagree with that. For a channeler to be fair they need to have either serious mental blocks like Nynaeve or be incredebly weak and niche like androl. Channelling is incredibly over powered. It wasn’t designed as a Sanderson magic system, which all follow similar rules. 

To put this in perspective, a mid level combat ready channeler could easily take on mistborn, awakeners, feruchemists, sand masters, most KR, and maybe elantrians. Definately fjordell monks and forgers.

Channelers have loads of range and a Ton of opportunities to control any fight. If your channeler has access and decent training in basic weaves they can take on most forms of investiture. 

Theres a reason why the white tower had all of their channelers swear oaths to never use their powers to hurt another person, a rouge channeler could be nearly unstoppable. 

Which is another possibility. An Aes Sedai character.

I really don't think we should rule out channelers, they just have so much opportunity or a unique and interesting RP style, that fits overall.

I think that all channelers should have oaths in place to prevent them from killing at random.  Or some sort of pesky sense of honor that prevents them from taking part too much.  Galvris is pretty powerful, but he has serious mental blocks and can be controlled by the weakest soothers/rioters.  He also has the aforementioned pesky sense of honor to riegn him in.

22 minutes ago, King Taravangian said:

I think that all channelers should have oaths in place to prevent them from killing at random.  Or some sort of pesky sense of honor that prevents them from taking part too much.  Galvris is pretty powerful, but he has serious mental blocks and can be controlled by the weakest soothers/rioters.  He also has the aforementioned pesky sense of honor to riegn him in.

You can't force a person to create a character with morals. For some people that's rather difficult and to restrict their abilities seems unfair. But if we say that they're simply too powerful for Era 3, then that solves the issue entirely.

The premise of weakening characters is interesting, and in regards to steel compounding, we have many of those and they are all overpowered. 

We do need to set a limit, because characters like Hellbent and Mac are so ridiculously broken that fighting them basically requires massive armies of powerful soldiers, hyperadvanced technology, and powerful battle magic, and even then, it's still a lost cause.

Some RPers are coming in with broken characters and it upends the entire system, meaning the likes of Lusk and Araha, well developed, realistic characters, stand no chance. 

This may be a freeform roleplay, but our form is too free, too many allowances are being made. 

I think the best way to solve this issue would be to make characters realistic.

So first of all, Knights Radiant are too easy to become. It's a common tactic for "developing" characters, yet it is very much implausible. The way we're making it out, all of the characters are on the verge of insanity, and the slightest conflict can trigger Radianthood. 

Second, Compounders are way too common in this RP. I mean, Mistings are rare, Ferrings are rarer, Twinborn are even rarer, and Compounders are nearly impossible.

Yet we have 8 Steel Compounders.

When I first made my character, I specifically went through all of the types of Compounders and figured that if I couldn't make it realistic, I could at least make it not completely broken.

Third, Hemalurgy is usually not a viable solution. There are tons of bindpoints in the human body, and nobody knows them all. So it's unlikely that your Hemalurgic spike would actually exist viably.

Basically, what I'm saying is that some characters just aren't statistically possible. I mean, if you think it's improbable, think about how improbable it is that these characters all exist simultaneously.

So, let's fix it.

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Meme-Thief said:

I feel it's necessary to say that Tena was the first steel Compounder, so don't started chiding me for making her overpowered. She came in right at the Seven Day War, what else was I to do?

Actually, no she wasn’t. That goes to Rastor Finley by @Thunderclast. You can see their profile third from the top in Era 1 characters.

21 hours ago, Silva said:

You can't force a person to create a character with morals. For some people that's rather difficult and to restrict their abilities seems unfair. But if we say that they're simply too powerful for Era 3, then that solves the issue entirely.

Yeah! I am physically unable to make an honorable character!

But banning them is a solution I strongly dislike. As I said, they have a lot of awesome potential.

2 hours ago, Grey Knight said:

Question: As the guy who created the first NPC army and started this whole mess, do I get to keep my space marines? 

Grey! You're back! :lol:

Actually we've stated somewhere, that while we want to reduce the amount scifi, we'll keep your space marines, since they've been a part of the Alleyverse for a long time.

14 hours ago, Grey Knight said:

Question: As the guy who created the first NPC army and started this whole mess, do I get to keep my space marines? 

Oh yeah, I argued for them. And luckily won. Because I'm a member and wanted to make another space marine.

I would like to join the Black Crusade.

Would this be alright, as a sort of upper limit? He is a sort of multi era, overarching villain, that will come into conflict with most of the members fo the alleyverse, but I have plans for him, so please, NOBODY KILL HIM. If anyone needs a startling back story, just pm me, and this guy can slotter your family.

Spoiler

He has a mask that enhances his physical attributes, appears to enhance his senses, enhances his response time a startling degree, allows him to grow claws, allows him to radiate fear, allows him to radiate darkness, stop and reverse age, jump incredibly high, and to fill anyone who looks into the glowing red eyes of the mask with a burning hot hatred, and rage. He also has the surge of division, but this is a lot weaker, and come from a void spren trapped in a crystal on the forehead of the mask. The mask itself is in the shape of an anubis mask and has a long mouthpiece. It was created by an epic with power to infuse objects with powers, that she could not use. He had her make this mask, and then killed her to protect his identity. He then captured a voidspren in a gemheart, and fixed it to the front of the mask, which added in the abilities of the division surge, and the radiation of hatred.

I am also against the point buy system, because of the same reasons that Kaladin stated. More bad than good.