Guild Reform

Archer

Please go vote in the Chat Thread poll as well  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to implement the following proposal?: RPers should only be allowed to be affiliated with a set number of guilds (TBD). Characters may only be members of guilds the RPer is a member of.

• Yes, I would like to implement that proposal.
    • No, I would not like to implement that proposal.
    • No opinion.
  2. 2. How many guilds should RPers be allowed to be affiliated with?

• 6+
    • No opinion.
  3. 3. How many members should a guild need to have in order to gain Great Guild Status (thus giving them special privileges, like the ability to raise armies). An RPer could only count towards the membership tally of a single guild.

• 8+
    • No opinion.

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

What did we decide regarding the "have a character to represent your position in the guild part"?

We discussed the whole leadership part a while, but I'm not sure if we reached a conclusion.

I'm pretty sure we voted in favour of one's position in a guild matching their character's position. I don't think it was discussed much afterwards though. 

4 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

What if we have more than one character?

I mean, we choose one guild to fully support, and our name goes towards the list thing, but if we have more than one character do they all have to be part of that guild?

You as a person can only back one guild for the purposes of the government. But you can have characters in any guilds you want to.

2 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

Ok. Thanks!

And we need at least one character in the guild we, as a user, back?

I don't know if we made it so you needed to have a character with them or not. You just need to be a member of the guild. If you want to be Rep for the guild in question, you will need a character though. Because all Rep interactions will be in character. To my knowledge. And you can only Rep for the guild that you choose to back. So one person can't be the Rep for multiple guilds.

12 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

Ok. Thanks!

And we need at least one character in the guild we, as a user, back?

As far as I understand it, you need to have a character representing your position. So as a council member,you need a character that's a council member as well.

On 12/21/2018 at 5:09 AM, Archer said:

I'm pretty sure we voted in favour of one's position in a guild matching their character's position. I don't think it was discussed much afterwards though. 

I'm not sure we had an official vote, that just seemed to be the consensus.

Could very well be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I understand it: no one can make armies out of thin air. 

Guilds that have established armies within the canon (and not just “I wrote it into the backstory of the guild”) are allowed to use them. If you want an army, I’d recommend hiring one. Don’t make one.

(You could, theoretically, spend about half an era gathering logistics, making recruitments, and building up your forces for a battle. But honestly it’d just be easier to hire the troops.)

Edited by MetaTerminal

11 minutes ago, MetaTerminal said:

As far as I understand it: no one can make armies out of thin air. 

Guilds that have established armies within the canon (and not just “I wrote it into the backstory of the guild”) are allowed to use them. If you want an army, I’d recommend hiring one. Don’t make one.

(You could, theoretically, spend about half an era gathering logistics, making recruitments, and building up your forces for a battle. But honestly it’d just be easier to hire the troops.)

There's also the problem inherent in having a standing army, what are they doing and how are you affording them? Maintaining a standing army when you're not in a conflict is pretty taxing on any organisations resources. So hiring mercenaries makes way more sense for most guilds.

No they don't. They aren't specifically his. They are also Walker's Clyde's and anyone else who joins the Citadel staff. They are tied to the Citadel, not the character, I wouldn't think so, as they aren't that much of a fighting force. I mean, the Black Guard might be a problem, but the rest of the group is mainly just their to cause chaos, until it all falls down in era 4.

I think the raising of an army should require some kind of external approval to ensure realism. Unless you resort to an enforced draft you need to convince people  to join your army, and convincing a normal person that they should join your army so that you can use them as canon fodder against a DA horde or a regiment of chaos marines is not going to be easy.

I don't know if getting full approval or a formal vote is necessarily the right way to go, but if you can't convince other players that people should join your army then you probably wouldn't be able to convince NPCs to do so either.

I think we kinda need an army somewhere, just as a general thing, like, say, there was a guild with thousands of hemalurgically-created monsters, and nobody else had an opposing army. Then, theoretically, this guild with the monsters could just take over everything, and it wouldn't be OP, cuz the monsters wouldn't be indestructible, but every character would die by getting overrun.

Huh. All hypothetical, of course.

I mean hypothetically the guild that created those thousands of hemalurgically-created monsters would also need enough power and resources to keep them in check, so even without the actual army they could probably still just take over everything. :P

18 hours ago, Voidus said:

I think the raising of an army should require some kind of external approval to ensure realism. Unless you resort to an enforced draft you need to convince people  to join your army, and convincing a normal person that they should join your army so that you can use them as canon fodder against a DA horde or a regiment of chaos marines is not going to be easy.

I don't know if getting full approval or a formal vote is necessarily the right way to go, but if you can't convince other players that people should join your army then you probably wouldn't be able to convince NPCs to do so either.

Ok thanks.

Let's talk about cities.  The Ghostbloods have a city, the keepers have one, and other guilds as well.  Does your guild have to be of a certain status to make a city?  Can you conjure a city out of thin air, or do you have to RP the construction as well as the population?  Or can you pretend you RPed it, and have a grand reveal once it's done?

Unless your guild somehow has enough manpower to force people to move to the City, I don’t think that you can just construct a city. 

If you look at history, there is no way to build a city in the timeframe of the RP. You need to build all the buildings,  you need to provide an infrastructure, but most importantly you need to convince people to live there. That’s not the kind of stuff that just happens overnight, it takes lots of time. If you look at how long real cities take to develope, you can’t get a respectable city in just a few years. 

The keepers don’t have a city, they have a town where feruchemists can live. They live together for the same reason that people of the same race try to live together in different cities. In addition their blood is the only way people can get Feruchemy, it makes sense to try to keep that together.

I have no idea how the ghostblood city works as a functional city. It makes legit no sense. They don’t need to create a place for culture, because being a ghostblood isn’t a racial or ethnic identity, it’s a job. I guess they could all move their to be close to headquarters? But that makes no sense in a world spanreeds where communication is instant. It would make more sense for them to spread out so they can reach targets better.

They probably aren’t  an economic center, because what investors would try to support an economy in there if only ghostbloods are allowed in? They aren’t located on any trading routes, and have no natural recourses.

Also, the amount of resources it takes to build a city is astounding. You need to have really deep pockets in order to build them, and have a lot of people willing to move in. 

In short, If you are going for realism I don’t think any guild has the power to build and run a city.