Stormbrother

Roshar erosion

4 posts in this topic

So roshar as we know it has existed for at least several millennia, so my question is this; if this continent has suffered high storms for this long, how come most of roshar is still stone? Why hasn't it broken down the soil? Are roshar rocks particularly resilient? We know that shinovar has soil, what about the rest of it? Do the high storms blow the sediment westward? Finally settling in shinovar?

Ultimately, I don't understand how a planet with particularly aggressive weather patterns could retain a solid Rock surface for thousands of years. Somebody help me.

I moved the topic to Stormlight board, because this is where it's supposed to be.

As far As I understand, and don't take my word as gospel, Roshar does get eroded. 

But crem flies with the storms and deposites itself all around so the continent, through the ages, changes shape. 

I saw someone equate this as being a "slice" of a 4D object intersecting with our 3D world, like the transformation through time is planed and not random, but cannot find the proper thread to link to you right now.

EDIT: Also, Welcome to the Shard!

Edited by Helwar

4 hours ago, Stormbrother said:

So roshar as we know it has existed for at least several millennia, so my question is this; if this continent has suffered high storms for this long, how come most of roshar is still stone? Why hasn't it broken down the soil? Are roshar rocks particularly resilient? We know that shinovar has soil, what about the rest of it? Do the high storms blow the sediment westward? Finally settling in shinovar?

Ultimately, I don't understand how a planet with particularly aggressive weather patterns could retain a solid Rock surface for thousands of years. Somebody help me.

Crem seems to be the trick, it solidifies all the broken bits back together in irregular lumps and whatnot, even leaks under doorways and needs to be chipped up after a single storm. Per WOB there are no Plate tectonics but it is still moving, thus eroding and being rebuilt on the other side. 

Separately and complicating the matter is the fact that the shape of the Continent is a Fractal, specifically a 4D Julia-Set Quaternion fractal, (See animated video here),

Supposedly the fractal shape is going to be maintained so I suspect the shape of the continent is going to continue to mirror that fractal mathematical shape-change-over-time function, as seen in that animation.

The soil of Shinovar was, by best guess, Created by the Shards to maintain a more earthlike ecosystem just there.

Welcome to the Shard!  Dont trust cookies from Strangers.