Greetings!

As a random start:  Name a fictional weapon you'd rather have than a Faithsaber.  I cant really think of any, other than one from my childhood:

Woundhealer, the Sword of Mercy from Fred Saberhagen's Books of Swords series.  A sword that heals flesh instead of cutting, but is otherwise the a supersharp,  indestructible Damascus long-sword, part of a set forged by the gods that they later killed. 

Whooaa...Woundhealer sounds freaking awesome.

When the Faithsaber was revealed I about lost it. I am really curious of it's abilities honestly. Really REALLY cool weapon. I loved First Day and especially the yellow exclamation point over the dude's head. I laughed for probably 8 minutes just on that one nerd moment.

Brief Cases is interesting. I loved the last one. Sweet story from different perspectives. I gotta reread Aeronaut's because if I remember right, I liked parts of it, but wasn't super sold on anything. Then again, that's kind of how Jim's series start out for me. Shaky/decent beginning and then gets incredible. I'm surprised Codex Alera has been so quiet. I thought Tavi was one of the coolest characters I've been introduced to. I wonder what Tavi vs. Kaladin would be like.

• 3 weeks later...

I really thought Peace Talks would be done by now. The author was saying earlier this year that his life was crazy with divorce and building a new house. He said back in around June now that everything is settled that he should be able to finish Peace Talks in a couple of months.

Honestly I am more excited about the Dresden book after Peace Talks called Mirror, Mirror. That's about a Dresden from a alternate universe (one where he makes a different decision in book 3 to sacrifice Susan) comes to the Harry we know for help. It looks like another long wait for that one with him writing the Aeronaughts Windlass sequel and I think something else before he will get to it.

Edited by Ammanas

The delay is unusual, both because Jim has historically been very quick and because of how optimistic he's been about finishing.  At Dragon Con 2017 he was forecasting that Peace Talks would be done by the end of 2017 ("six to eight weeks after finishing Brief Cases") and in the Brief Cases Reddit AMA this past June he was aiming to finish Peace Talks before his wedding this autumn.  So it doesn't seem to be like the Ghost Story delay, where the issue was artistic rather than logistical...

Ah, this thread inspired me to check the Jim-Butcher.com Upcoming Works page, where just yesterday they added a "Why’s Peace Talks Taking So Long?" explanation, which does go all the way back to the divorce and The Death Of Frost in 2015.  (I believe this is the first 2018 update of that upcoming works page.)  They have also posted a new DF short story, Christmas Eve, as a gift for fans.

'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring except me and Mouse...

Anyway, I remain optimistic that future waits will not be so long now that these issues have been worked through.  Jim was a marvel when alternating between Codex Alera and Dresden Files volumes, so hopefully something similar will develop with Cinder Spires.  I'm not aware of any other novel besides The Olympian Affair planned in between Peace Talks and Mirror, Mirror, but I haven't been keeping very close watch.

11 hours ago, Just a Lifetime said:

Jim was a marvel when alternating between Codex Alera and Dresden Files volumes, so hopefully something similar will develop with Cinder Spires.  I'm not aware of any other novel besides The Olympian Affair planned in between Peace Talks and Mirror, Mirror, but I haven't been keeping very close watch.

Not that I know of, and Jim is one of the author's I follow closely. But I can always miss something of course.

I really hope we'll get a new book of him in 2019...

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

Not that I know of, and Jim is one of the author's I follow closely

I gave it some thought and I believe what I was thinking about is a series that he mentioned in the past, but haven't heard about for awhile. He has said he wants to write a series of books where Harry's daughter goes to some magical school and has adventures there with Mouse. He also said that he doesn't know much about little girls so he wants to either cowrite or consult with some mom that he knows. I think I read about it during a Butcher Q and A outside of his official site, but can't remember where exactly.

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

I gave it some thought and I believe what I was thinking about is a series that he mentioned in the past, but haven't heard about for awhile. He has said he wants to write a series of books where Harry's daughter goes to some magical school and has adventures there with Mouse. He also said that he doesn't know much about little girls so he wants to either cowrite or consult with some mom that he knows. I think I read about it during a Butcher Q and A outside of his official site, but can't remember where exactly.

Oh that one. It's from 2016. It was discussed for a while, but in the end he never really confirmed working on it. Here you are:

https://www.comicmix.com/2016/09/26/emily-s-whitten-dresden-files-jim-butcher-talks-peace-talks/

And the part you mean should be this:

And my intention is, in the next few years I’m going to write kind of a young adult series about Maggie Dresden at the Academy. She’ll be there with Mouse; because she seriously does have all kinds of problems and issues that are challenges for her. She’s got bad social anxiety; she’s got several phobias – which are understandable given her past.

Though I can't recall he officially mentioned it again on his page, so I treat it with care. (I could have missed it of course). Officially only Peace Talks, Mirror, Mirror and The Olympian Affair are announced.

@SoranaI found what I was looking for! I was also wrong about it being cowritten by a mom but you can see the part I didn't remember correctly

Other than that? Harry’s daughter Maggie might end up with her own series of YA novels, a sort of Dresden Hogwarts. The premise is simple, “What if there really are monsters under the bed that we forget about when we grow up? And they’re all at this school, and the kids have to fight them?”  It will be loosely based off of the experience of Butcher’s sister … mostly her six kids who all go to Catholic school.  Basically, this place would be a boarding school, where Maggie would spend summer with her dad, and be “away at school, where they think it’s safer.” As Maggie suffers from a lot of social anxieties, “Mouse would act as her service dog. Though Maggie is perfectly fine when everything’s on fire and people are screaming. It’s her superpower.”

https://thecatholicgeeks.com/2016/09/13/6492/

4 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

It will be loosely based off of the experience of Butcher’s sister … mostly her six kids who all go to Catholic school.

Oh cool! Thanks a lot. Partially matches with my source, but this part I haven't seen yet. Do you know if he confirmed it again afterwards?

*goes to read the article*

I think I've heard this discussed in interviews, and managed to find a mention in the Brief Cases Reddit Q&A from June:

Q: I also have a question about the YA series about Maggie: How self contained are the books going to be in regards to the Dresden Files?

A: Beats me. I haven't gotten there yet.

His stated plan was to have the rough draft of Peace Talks turned in before his wedding last fall, which if Im not mistaken he did indeed achieve (both the draft and the Wedding).  So I think it would take something extreme and unforeseen to prevent Peace Talks from being published some time in 2019. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 7:29 PM, Just a Lifetime said:

Ah, this thread inspired me to check the Jim-Butcher.com Upcoming Works page, where just yesterday they added a "Why’s Peace Talks Taking So Long?" explanation

Took another look today and noticed that they seem to be frequently updating the Peace Talks progress: it's now at 42 chapters compared to 39 a month ago.

• 1 year later...