Eleventh Herald Portrait

That's meant to represent Wit/Hoid.

Lurcher

Here are the lists of things that I've noticed could be reasons why certain Herald images get chosen. I also picked up on alot of this stuff because the folks over at Tor have done a WoR re-read and have a dedicated "Heraldic Symbolism" subsection they devote for each chapter. They speculate as to why the specific herald(s) were chosen. Specifically Alice Arneson (one of the re-readers) has seemingly done some good research into this, so I'll give her credit for a lot of this.

I mostly listed these out for my own reference as I've been meaning to do so (since I usually keep them in my head when figuring this out when reading).

1. Herald themselves (mentioned, talked about, or actually has an appearance)
  2. Some object associated with a herald (example: A specific herald's honorblade)
  3. Member of Order (ex: Kaladin=Windrunners=Jezrien)
  4. Characters portraying divine attribute behavior (example: Loving and Healing)
  5. Characters portraying the inverse of divine attribute behavior (example: Hating and Destroying)
  6. Herald of <concept> - things associated with that concept. Known examples: 1) Shalash: Herald of Beauty 2) Nalan: Herald of Justice 3) Jezrien: Herald of Kings 4) Taln: Herald of War 5) Ishar: Herald of Luck

7. Roles associated with a herald Known Examples: 1)Chana: Guards 2)Taln: Soldiers/war 3)Ishar: Ardents/religion 4)Vedel: Physicians

8. Essences (https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ten_Essences ): Essence, body focus, soulcasting properties...(this one is a stretch as I've never really could pinpoint this well enough)

1. Jester/Masked face (as mentioned in other posts on this thread). This can be tied to chapters with Wit them or tied to concepts related to him, the biggest one (I think) being storytelling.

How'd I do? :)

Note: I loved the "Four Lifetimes" chapter's heraldic symbolism in Oathbringer (I'm a little over halfway through the book), but I thought that was great showing the different roles/lives Kaladin has filled: Surgeon (Vedel), Soldier (Taln), Guard (Chana), and Leader/Windrunner (Jezrien). Bravo.

Peter Ahlstrom

How did you do? Pretty much a home run. There's only one thing you're missing, which you may have implied, and that's the gemstones. Also, there's a little bit more to #5 that will be explored further later in the series.

Your "Four Lifetimes" analysis is spot-on. Congratulations.

13 hours ago, Invocation said:

I don't like the sound of that.

The 'little bit more' is probably related to how the present-day Heralds with their various insanities are twisting or subverting the divine attributes they were originally associated with. Maybe there's some specific focus to the madness rather than just thousands of years of accumulated guilt plus everything they had to deal with before Aharietiam, given how they're all nuttier than pecan pie, but in very specific ways.

Edited by Ookla the Gralsritter

34 minutes ago, Ookla the Gralsritter said:

The 'little bit more' is probably related to how the present-day Heralds with their various insanities are twisting or subverting the divine attributes they were originally associated with. Maybe there's some specific focus to the madness rather than just thousands of years of accumulated guilt plus everything they had to deal with before Aharietiam, given how they're all nuttier than pecan pie, but in very specific ways.

That still doesn't make me feel any better. Brandon's gonna pull some shenanigans.

• Chaos locked this topic