Radiant's Armour

I wander if Radiant shardplate, when summonned, comes already attached and ready to go, or if it just appears in a pile next to you and you just have to put it on. Also do Radiants har screaming when they put on deadspren shardplate, and also, it's a bit hard on the spren who has to be both sword AND armour at the same time, or do you have to bond another spren to get armour, although i imagine that that would be quite annoying.

Would love to hear your answers.

As has been stated, the Shardplate forms around the Radiant.

For your other questions, there is no screaming from Shardplate and it is not formed by the radiant's spren.

The two most popular Plate theories are that is formed of lesser spren, their reduced mental capacity meaning there is no screaming, or that it is somehow made of solidified Stormlight, so no screaming because it isn't alive.

50 minutes ago, StormblessedSurvivor said:

Assuming that Shardplate is made of lesser spren, then, as the Stormfather said of the Honorblades, it "does not have the mind to scream on its own." 

The Stormfather equates "true Spren" and men, just as he does "lesser spren" and beasts. 

So just as I've said regularly when this topic arises, the idea that "lesser spren" don't have the minds to scream, sounds a lot to me like saying a dog doesn't have the intelligence to feel pain when kicked. 

I really hate this argument. 

Edited by Calderis

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

The Stormfather equates "true Spren" and men, just as he does "lesser spren" and beasts. 

So just as I've said regularly when this topic arises, the idea that "lesser spren" don't have the minds to scream, sounds a lot to me like saying a dog doesn't have the intelligence to feel pain when kicked. 

I really hate this argument. 

Perhaps the breaking of the oaths damaged the lesser spren that make up Shardplate to the point that they can't even scream anymore?

I don't agree with the kicking dog analogy. I think its more of a beast of burden sort of thing. Horses ridden by men. Cows milked and slaughtered. I would see shard plate more like wearing leather. You've killed the beast and used it for something else. In this case it just does the same job with maybe a few less perks. True spren are human. Lesser spren are animals. Didn't syl say her aunt or someone used to hunt a type of spren. We've even seen some nasty ones like anger spren in the CR. The bubbling is their saliva and that's all we see. Yes wind spren might be more like your pet cat and not a savage beast but even humans would put their furry friends corpse to use if they got something like shard plate.

Edited by garlick
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Calderis said:

@garlick and that was not my point at all.

The argument is that Shardplate doesn't scream because lesser spren aren't intelligent enough for that. That has nothing to do with how they're used. 

Either they are not in pain, or it's not spren. I lean towards the former. 

I agree with them not being in pain based on the way windspren act around Kaladin when he's getting close to his armor. It's like they're happy to be there, completely voluntarily surrounding a chosen person and it's not too much of a stretch to imagine those that are permanently Plate are happy just to be so useful and wanted.

@Calderis what if it isn't the lack of intelligence that causes the lack of screaming but the shallowness of the bond?

After all it seems unlikely that they are bonded to the same extent as the Radiantspren. Maybe they do scream, the Radiant just can't hear it?

Edited by Ookla the Mind Sculptor

4 minutes ago, equinox said:

Another question would be, if Plate is made of Stormlight, why didn't it just puff away into Stormlight again as the Radiants abandoned their oaths? Instead it became somehow "trapped" in the PR just like the DeadBlades did. 

Because it's not "stormlight" it's a physical structure created from stormlight. Which is why it can be regrow from the addition of stormlight. 

If plate is spren, why is it breakable at all? Shardblades aren't. 

7 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Because it's not "stormlight" it's a physical structure created from stormlight. Which is why it can be regrow from the addition of stormlight. 

If plate is spren, why is it breakable at all? Shardblades aren't. 

Because it's not a single Spren, but multiple Spren bonded together?  

But I shouldn't argue with you here, but rather finish reading the thread you posted above (which I didn't start reading before posting in this thread) :D...

• Chaos locked this topic