What would an A-Gold/F-Aluminum Twinborn be capable of?

The Allomantic Metalhead

Question

9 answers to this question

We know that storing Identity opens you up to all sorts of things in the Cosmere and it would be easier to affect you with a soulstamp, so I imagine that someone who's currently storing Identity and tries to burn gold would get some very weird results. On the other hand, tapping Identity while burning gold would probably do some cool things. Maybe it would make the process less unpleasant, or the 'extra Identity' might extend how far back into the past you can look with A-Gold or give you more finesse over what you see.

37 minutes ago, Ookla the Indefatigable said:

On the other hand, both of these could stop shade-induced withering.

They could, but that's with F-Gold and A-Aluminum which is the opposite of the hypothetical twinborn... though I imagine that if medallion tech spreads there would be a huge market for ones granting those powers on Threnody. Actually there would probably be a huge market for F-Gold medallions in general, for obvious reasons.

Is it thread necromancy if it's less than a month old?

I wonder if Allomantic Gold goes by your Identity.  It's a safe assumption, but I feel like it doesn't have to be.  Your Identity keeps you you, the Allomantic gold shows you a different you, a you you could have been.  An alternate identity.  

So what if you store all your current identity in your fAlluminum, and then burn Gold, which then shows you an alternate identity.  Would that alternate identity then find a identities body, which it could then inhabit?  Could you then become your alternate identity?  Perhaps until you tap your old identity, which will then reassert itself?  

Not sure what practical use that would be, but it's an interesting theory, at least.  

1 hour ago, Tglassy said:

I wonder if Allomantic Gold goes by your Identity.  It's a safe assumption, but I feel like it doesn't have to be.  Your Identity keeps you you, the Allomantic gold shows you a different you, a you you could have been.  An alternate identity. 

But which one? You are without identity.
Either you see all your possible pasts, like the interaction of atium and electrum projected into the past, or just nothing.

21 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

But which one? You are without identity.
Either you see all your possible pasts, like the interaction of atium and electrum projected into the past, or just nothing.

You are without identity NOW, but you have not always been without Identity.  You were never the identity that Allomantic gold shows you.  It was never a part of you.  It was a possibility.  A you you could have become had you made different choices.  Now, it's possible that is keyed off of your current Identity, in that if you are identityless then it wouldn't show you anything.  But if it isn't, if it is indeed a temporal thing that goes back in time, finds a pivotal moment in your life, and shows you who you would have become had you made different choices, regardless of current Identity, then that might show you something different.  

When you burn Gold, you ARE both versions for that time.  You see out of both eyes, think with both thoughts.  If you are NOTHING, and your Gold Shadow is SOMETHING, when you stop burning Gold...do you go back to being NOTHING, or would that SOMETHING assert itself?

Lots of assumptions made, but interesting. 

3 hours ago, Tglassy said:

You are without identity NOW, but you have not always been without Identity.  You were never the identity that Allomantic gold shows you.  It was never a part of you.  It was a possibility.  A you you could have become had you made different choices.

But how does the gold "know" whom to show at all? It will not work by mass. Any human being changes the majority of his atoms over a surprisingly short period of time.

Now, it's possible that is keyed off of your current Identity, in that if you are identityless then it wouldn't show you anything.  But if it isn't, if it is indeed a temporal thing that goes back in time, finds a pivotal moment in your life, and shows you who you would have become had you made different choices, regardless of current Identity, then that might show you something different.

That opens up some questions.

1. What determines the point of divergence?
  2. Which alternate decision is picked?

Now it is possible that just nobody has been rich and interested enough to spend the money necessary to get good with allomantic gold. Or it is somehow connected to identity.

When you burn Gold, you ARE both versions for that time.  You see out of both eyes, think with both thoughts.  If you are NOTHING, and your Gold Shadow is SOMETHING, when you stop burning Gold...do you go back to being NOTHING, or would that SOMETHING assert itself?

So you would in effect become the gold shadow by burning gold without identity? That is a cool effect.

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

I think this idea conflates Spiritual Identity, the marker that says Investiture is yours, and Cognitive identity. 

Self perception and identity in the common meaning of the word and Capital I Identity are not the same thing. 

Mate, I hardly ever need to post anymore because you type my answers for me :D

I suspect either nothing would happen because you have no spiritual identity to draw from or the picture would be random/distorted/changing rapidly per the below WoB. I don't expect this combination would be healthy for a persons mind however.

Fejicus (paraphrased)

(something along the lines of how exactly is what you see when you burn gold determined)

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

He said that each time you burn gold, you see a different image, so it changes depending on your current situation.

On the other hand, both of these could stop shade-induced withering.

Kurkistan

If you're on Threnody and you get Withered by a shade, are you better off burning Allomantic aluminum, or tapping Feruchemical gold?

*laughter*

[clarification on the question]

Brandon Sanderson

They would both work pretty well. I would say if you burned aluminum, that would kind of have the effect that you are wanting it to have, which is the effect-- negating and sucking out, so it's probably safer. But the gold would work, too.

Kurkistan

So would it be fair to describe withering as a kind of cancerous Forging-

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Kurkistan

That just kind of slowly takes over your soul?

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Edited by Ookla the Indefatigable