"Things you may have missed" in Oathbringer?

Jofwu

Mourn's Vault is much closer to Hearthstone, which makes me concerned for Lirin, Hesina, and baby Oroden! Also, Mourn's Vault also seems like it could be in the general area where the interlude with Sheler takes place. 

Which is another thing that is easily missed: that Tien was in Sheler's company when he died.

Also, that a member of every order of Knight Radiant was present (assuming Ash will be Dustbringer) at the moment when Dalinar united the realms, as well as every flashback character (I think). 

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 9.39.13 PM.png

17 minutes ago, IntentAwesome said:

Also, that a member of every order of Knight Radiant was present (assuming Ash will be Dustbringer) at the moment when Dalinar united the realms, as well as every flashback character (I think). 

That is correct for every flashback character, and for the first time as well!

5 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Relevant WoB:

What is this unpleasant area of Alethkar, hmmm?  Could it be...Kholinar?  

For me this WoB says that Mourn's Vault is an unpleasant area. It's a settlement on the border of Alethkar and Herdaz - we know this area has experienced heavy fighting. Thus, it might have been a good idea for Tarah to flee from this "not a pleasant place" to a more secure place (like Urithiru?). 

My question would be: How did she get there? Did she went to the warcamps on the shattered plains and then oathgated from Narak to Urithiru? 

8 hours ago, IntentAwesome said:

Agree on the orders of Knights Radiant (fully onboard the Ash Dustbringer train).  However, Eshonai (the 4th book flashback character is not present).  

They fell silent, listening to the room shake with the sounds of thunder outside. Kaladin finished his drink, wishing it were one of Rock’s concoctions instead, and flicked away an odd cremling that he spotted clinging to the side of the bench. It had a multitude of legs, and a bulbous body, with a strange tan pattern on its back.

possible Aimian sighting, kal is in Kholinar in a storm shelter during the ever storm 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the zombification.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:41 PM, Ciridae said:

By the way, has anybody found out what that treelike thing in the bottom right corner is? 

Once Ico was done resettling the cargo, he gestured for Kaladin to help him pick up the box they’d removed. They maneuvered it out of the hold and up onto the top deck. Here, the captain knelt and opened the box, which revealed a strange device that looked a little like a coatrack—although only about three feet tall. Made entirely of steel, it had dozens of small metal prongs extending from it, like the branches of a tree—only it had a metal basin at the very bottom.

A few lines above that:

“The lighthouse keeper wanted the Stormlight,” Kaladin said. “He kept it in some kind of globe.” Captain Ico grunted. “Foreign technology,” he said. “Dangerous. Draws the wrong spren.” He shook his head. “At Celebrant, the moneychangers have perfect gemstones that can hold the light indefinitely. Similar.” “Perfect gemstones? Like, the Stone of Ten Dawns?”

Perfect gemstones are foreign technology that 'draws the wrong spren' (and we know Unmade are drawn to them)

13 minutes ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Perfect gemstones are foreign technology that 'draws the wrong spren' (and we know Unmade are drawn to them)

I read that as saying "foreign technology" holds invesititure/stormlight extremely well but draws the wrong spren, which is why in Celebrant they use perfect gems which have the same purpose but without the risk.

1 hour ago, insert_anagram_here said:

I think you're misinterpreting that. I suppose you might argue the difference is pedantic until we know more, but there IS apparently a difference.

Ico outright says in that quote that Riino's "crystal ball" is merely "similar" to a perfect gemstone. And it's that device which he claims is foreign technology--not the perfect gems used in Celebrant.

This is a thread about things that 'may' have been missed so since I was posting for Ciridae, I thought I might just as well post this "Foreign technology,” mention.

Yes, it could be up to personal interpretation and I'm not a native speaker so I might be missing something in terms of syntax. But I could also say that Ico might have the same issue as a spren and human language.

We do know that perfect gemstones draw Unmade tho, so at least the "Dangerous" (from Ico's POV) has to be true.

And I believe that Surges might also be regarded as 'foreign' since the humans brought it when they arrived on Roshar.

So yeah, maybe a hint and not definately something proven yet.

7 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

The Surges have been naturally existing on Roshar from the beginning.  The entire ecosystem is dependent on them (e.g. Gravitation and Greatshells).  

I believe it was also stated somewhere in OB that the listeners knew about Surges before humans came, but bonding spren and using the Surges was forbidden?

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

The Surges have been naturally existing on Roshar from the beginning. 

Really? I know there is a WoB for spren, but I don't remember anything about surges. Do you have a source for this?

1 hour ago, Winds Alight said:

it was also stated somewhere in OB

Do you mean the Eila Stele? I think that's where I came up with the impression that the humans brought the Surges.

They came from another world, using powers that we have been forbidden to touch. Dangerous powers, of spren and Surges. They destroyed their lands and have come to us begging. We took them in, as commanded by the gods. What else could we do? They were a people forlorn, without a home. Our pity destroyed us. For their betrayal extended even to our gods: to spren, stone, and wind. Beware the otherworlders. The traitors. Those with tongues of sweetness, but with minds that lust for blood. Do not take them in. Do not give them succor. Well were they named Voidbringers, for they brought the void. The empty pit that sucks in emotion. A new god. Their god. These Voidbringers know no songs. They cannot hear Roshar, and where they go, they bring silence. They look soft, with no shell, but they are hard. They have but one heart, and it cannot ever live.

But now that I look at the text closely, I'm not sure the wording says either way; nor that the humans brought the Surges nor that they were already on Roshar.

The Surges are most definitely a natural extension of the world. 

Khyrindor (paraphrased)

Do the Honorblades reflect the natural pairing of Surges, or did Honor decide which Surge pair to put in each Blade?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The pairs are natural to Roshar in the same way as the metals on Scadrial.

When Worlds Collide 2014 (Aug. 9, 2014)

Thadamin

Are Spren able to manifest surges like the humans they are bonded to? Syl is able to Stick things together are other types able to do other things or is the sticking things together something else?

Brandon Sanderson

The Spren are living Surges, in a way. There are some "higher" spren which have more ability than others to touch certain surges. Honor, for example, is not a force of nature--but a force of thought. What is attributed to it relates more to the abstract.

And that didn't really answer you, did it? Well, hopefully it's enough.

Phantine

Is them being living surges the same as how seons are living aons?

Brandon Sanderson

Similar.

/r/books AMA 2015 (July 17, 2015)

Spren existed before the Shards arrived on Roshar. For them to be "living Surges" the Surges have to predate human arrival. 

2 hours ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Alright, let's assume we interpret the WoBs the same way then, do we have one about perfect gemstones being native as well?

Not that I'm aware of... And I doubt they're natural. Chasmfiends are able to maintain themselves through the weeping from the sheer size of their gemhearts. We've seen uncut gems that are formed through the fauna of Roshar and they are not "perfect" by any means. 

The only info that I'm aware of having to do with gems and ancient times says that stormlight in gems predates the Shards arrival. 

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There was a point when the Heralds didn't need to draw Stormlight from gems, although the Stormlight-in-gems predates Honor's arrival.

There was a following conversation about this topic, about how a lot of the elements were there before Honor arrived, but he co-opted them. So, Stormlight were there, but there are big differences now.

Footnote: Unspecified question by Pagerunner.
Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

Stormlight, spren, and a gemhearts should be all that the native fauna need to have the functional ecosystem we've seen on Roshar. We do know that Nahel spren, and Sapient spren generally came later though 

Edited by Calderis

On 2/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, insert_anagram_here said:

We do know that perfect gemstones draw Unmade tho, so at least the "Dangerous" (from Ico's POV) has to be true..

Do we know this?

I know pefect gems can be used to trap an Unmade, but I don't remember being told anywhere that Unmade are drawn to them .

It seemed like Dalinar was the one the Thrill was drawn to, with the perfect gem merely being a tool.

30 minutes ago, Jace21 said:

Do we know this?

I know pefect gems can be used to trap an Unmade, but I don't remember being told anywhere that Unmade are drawn to them .

It seemed like Dalinar was the one the Thrill was drawn to, with the perfect gem merely being a tool.

I'm just pointing out what Ico said on Honor's Path (see my first post on the thread).

It seems that different people get different interpretations in everything, so your guess is as good as mine at this point.

20 hours ago, insert_anagram_here said:

I'm just pointing out what Ico said on Honor's Path (see my first post on the thread).

It seems that different people get different interpretations in everything, so your guess is as good as mine at this point.

The way I read Ico's quote is that it's foreign technology that attracts the wrong spren. My guess it has to do with mixing Shards.

• Chaos locked this topic