"Things you may have missed" in Oathbringer?

Jofwu

I've got this page of "Things you may have missed" in reading Stormlight. It's basically a list of interesting things in each book that are easy to miss/overlook/misunderstand or that weren't revealed clearly in the books alone.

The Oathbringer page needs an update, and I could use some help thinking of things that need to be included. Anything come to mind that you think definitely needs to be in there?

Note: This does not include connections to other cosmere books. I've got a list of those elsewhere. I'm specifically focusing on Stormlight Archive stuff here.

Current list:

• Dalinar's memories of Evi were taken by Cultivation herself--not by the Nightwatcher.
  • Dalinar summoned Honor's Perpendicularity in chapter 119. Odium confirms (Chapter 122) that Dalinar Ascended in this moment. It is not entirely clear what is implied when Dalinar declared, "I am Unity," or what Odium meant when he said, "WE killed you."
  • Jasnah obtained pictures of the Heralds from Wit, during their time together between the WoR Epilogue and her arrival in Oathbringer. ("I have drawings of their true faces, provided by an unexpected source." Chapter 53 and "Why has Midius been giving away pictures of us?" Chapter 121)
  • Lopin seems to be chasing his spren, Rua, at the end of Chapter 55. This is possibly their first meeting.
  • Humans originally came to Roshar from Ashyn. (WoB)
  • The Cryptic that Wit picks up in the Epilogue was the one who was going to bond Elhokar. (WoB)
  • Urithiru is not a spaceship. [WoB]

Captain Ico can be seen on one of Shallan drawings, as done by Veil, along with the Ghostblood symbol. 

Mandras are the same thing as luckspren seen around greatshells and skyeels. 

These are the first things that popped into my head, I'll see if I can come up with some more later. 

3 hours ago, NoiseSpren said:

Hide contents

... in chapter 90 the man with cape. The sentence he said was unmistakable.

Chapter 90 is the one where Szeth is inducted into the Skybreakers. No man in a cape there, at least none that I've seen... Can you quote?

5 hours ago, Ookla the Sunbug said:

I don't know if it's confirmed yet, but in chapter 44 we have the probable Tarah sighting in Urithiru. It's the scene where Ishnah is teaching Veil's men espionage, and Veil is talking about the Alethi woman wearing the Thaylen dress with a brightly coloured blouse, who keeps looking over her shoulder like she's looking for someone.  In chapter 112, Kaladin thinks about how she preferred old-fashioned Thaylen dresses, often paired with bright colored shirts.

oh god this is so going to be true i just know it

I've always wondered why the surgenbinding chart was called the 'eye of the almighty'.

The preceding list is an imperfect gathering of traditional Vorin symbolism associated with the Ten Essences. Bound together, these form the Double Eye of the Almighty, an eye with two pupils representing the creation of plants and creatures. This is also the basis for the hourglass shape that was often associated with the Knights Radiant. Ancient scholars also placed the ten orders of Knights Radiant on this list, alongside the Heralds themselves, who each had a classical association with one of the numbers and Essences. -Ars Arcanum

Does Tanavast have double iris mutation?

Knights_Radiant_and_the_ten_Surges.jpg

Edited by ScavellTane

17 minutes ago, ScavellTane said:

I've always wondered why the surgenbinding chart was called the 'eye of the almighty'.

A.jpg

I think that's basically the knight Radiant chart, the double iris would be the Truthwatchers and Bondsmiths on the chart. 

8 hours ago, NoiseSpren said:

I've got ya!!!:D

Than one was cruel, I know...:ph34r:

Godammit :lol:

5 hours ago, ScavellTane said:

I've always assumed that this is just an allegorical representation of the Surges/Essences/etc., as the description suggests, or maybe a representation of both Honor and Cultivation in one, but now you got me thinking.

Edit: Actually, Dalinar meets Tanavast in one of his visions. You'd think he'd notice something like that, but there's no word of it.

Edited by Rasarr

On 11/28/2018 at 7:07 PM, Jofwu said:

Jasnah obtained pictures of the Heralds from Wit, during their time together between the WoR Epilogue and her arrival in Oathbringer. ("I have drawings of their true faces, provided by an unexpected source." Chapter 53 and "Why has Midius been giving away pictures of us?" Chapter 121)

I've also heard another theory that Hoid was Dandos the Oilsworn, whom Shallan learned from, and Shallan drew those pictures. Could be "unexpected" because Shallan shouldn't know what the Heralds look like, but probably was Hoid.

The captain sighed. “The honorspren were created by Honor himself, many thousands of years ago. You call him the Almighty, and … I’m afraid he’s dead.”

Did Honor create the Radiant spren for the Orders?

“Our own natures destroy us,” the regal man said, voice soft, though his face was angry. “Alakavish was a Surgebinder. He should have known better. And yet, the Nahel bond gave him no more wisdom than a regular man. Alas, not all spren are as discerning as honorspren.”

Apparently not.

Edited by ScavellTane

2 hours ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Shallan says there are two Unmade in Alethkar, but there are three: Ashertmarn, Sja-anat, and Yelig-nar.

She didn’t know about Yelig-nar at the time. Yelig-nar was probably following Aesudan around, so there was no way Shallan could’ve known he was in Kholinar.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, StormblessedSurvivor said:

I've also heard another theory that Hoid was Dandos the Oilsworn, whom Shallan learned from, and Shallan drew those pictures. Could be "unexpected" because Shallan shouldn't know what the Heralds look like, but probably was Hoid.

That's what I thought too, but Brandon has said otherwise: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/256-oathbringer-london-signing/#e8704

On 11/30/2018 at 6:41 AM, Ciridae said:

By the way, has anybody found out what that treelike thing in the bottom right corner is? 

I'm pretty sure they are the metal lines on Ico's ship that the Lightspen and other shipworking Spren use to communicate.

As for something easily missed: Timbre is Captain Ico's daughter.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:20 PM, Ookla the Sunbug said:

I don't know if it's confirmed yet, but in chapter 44 we have the probable Tarah sighting in Urithiru. It's the scene where Ishnah is teaching Veil's men espionage, and Veil is talking about the Alethi woman wearing the Thaylen dress with a brightly coloured blouse, who keeps looking over her shoulder like she's looking for someone.  In chapter 112, Kaladin thinks about how she preferred old-fashioned Thaylen dresses, often paired with bright colored shirts.

Relevant WoB:

LadyLameness [PENDING REVIEW]

Last we heard, Tarah was moving to Mourn's Vault. As of the end of Oathbringer, is she still in Alethkar?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That's a RAFO. Let's just say that area of Alethkar is not a-- not a pleasant place.

What is this unpleasant area of Alethkar, hmmm?  Could it be...Kholinar?