Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ripheus23

The Moon Scepter and who becomes an Elantrian

9 posts in this topic

One of the things Khriss says in AU is that it seems random who becomes an Elantrian. Now I have a theory that a spherical Aon/Selglyph/w/e is possible, but instead of being a representation of Sel as such, I think it would be a representation of the moon. IDK if the Dor overlaps Sel's moon too, so maybe this theory is a no-go, but anyway my resulting guess is that who becomes an Elantrian has something to do with the phases of Sel's moon. (I only thought of this on the ground that Sarene, IIRC, brings up the, "Where does the moon go?" question at one point, which could be an example of hyperforeshadowing...)

An astrological drive for it makes as much sense as anything.  How do you see the Moon Scepter fitting in?

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

An astrological drive for it makes as much sense as anything.  How do you see the Moon Scepter fitting in?

It's likely got something to do with the way Selish magic works. Why else would Hoid snatch it? 

I remembered seeing this WOB a while back, may answer some questions here.

ParadoxicalZen

How exactly is the Moon Scepter linked to the Dor?

Brandon Sanderson

The Moon Scepter is-- I suppose I can canonize this, now. Okay you're getting one out of me. So the big thing about the Moon Scepter that it was-- It is a Rosetta stone for the [Selish] magics. Meaning it translates them from one to another, and what the different symbols mean, does that make sense.

source

Additional moon scepter WoBs 

Aurimus_

And lastly, a cosmere point of contention. You've said before the Moon Scepter works as a Rosetta stone? Is this literal, as in translating one Aon to it's MaiPon counterpart, or more metaphorical, IE allowing use of a Selish magic outside of its country?

Brandon Sanderson

The Moon Scepter does not "unlock" regional use of Sellish magic, but those who wanted it believed it was a vital step in figuring this out. It's more the first, but has implications for the second.

source

Questioner

Will we see the Moon Scepter again?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I intend for you to see it again. But I've already said what it does, I believe. It's a Rosetta Stone for the different symbols on [the world of] Elantris that mean different things.

Questioner

So, it's more specific to Sel?

Brandon Sanderson

It's specific to Sel, it's specific to understanding the magics on Sel. It helps figure out how the different magic systems do the different things they do on Sel. So, it does have Aons along one side of it. You probably will see it again, but it will probably be in cameo. Hoid got the information he needed off of it, from that.

source

7 hours ago, Quantus said:

How do you see the Moon Scepter fitting in?

I forgot to mention this by name in the OP, my idea is that the Moon Scepter is a Selglyph of the moon itself, or "based on the shape of the moon," at least, if it's spherical. (I don't remember if it is spherical or not, on top or what.)

So anyway, in another thread, I argued about the visual similarity between some Aons and the cymatic patterns of Roshar. It was counterargued that the Aons are derivative of language marks, not cymatics, so no-go on the notion. However, I later read that the Aons are natural to Sel, in that they seem to have been handed down to people from the sentience of the landscape. So, it seems to me that there could actually still be a cymatic tie-in, somewhere, here, if the different Selish countries are split off from an overarching cymatic pattern involving the entirety of Sel (a spherical cymatic pattern, or curved ones, or whatever). It remains to be seen, though, for one, whether there is a cymatic pattern that can be decomposed into e.g. the simple shape of Arelon.

9 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

I forgot to mention this by name in the OP, my idea is that the Moon Scepter is a Selglyph of the moon itself, or "based on the shape of the moon," at least, if it's spherical. (I don't remember if it is spherical or not, on top or what.)

So anyway, in another thread, I argued about the visual similarity between some Aons and the cymatic patterns of Roshar. It was counterargued that the Aons are derivative of language marks, not cymatics, so no-go on the notion. However, I later read that the Aons are natural to Sel, in that they seem to have been handed down to people from the sentience of the landscape. So, it seems to me that there could actually still be a cymatic tie-in, somewhere, here, if the different Selish countries are split off from an overarching cymatic pattern involving the entirety of Sel (a spherical cymatic pattern, or curved ones, or whatever). It remains to be seen, though, for one, whether there is a cymatic pattern that can be decomposed into e.g. the simple shape of Arelon.

Ah, ok cool that's an interesting Idea. Worth noting that the Aon Rao (the one Raoden "fixed" by adding the chasm-line) is also one of the Constellations in the Selish sky.  And if there is one Aon in the sky there are likely more, with the moon almost certainly playing a role in how they manifest (could be a whole new source of tidal-esk changes).  

So, new question regarding the Moon Scepter's role and/or function:

Is it still accurate?  By that I mean is it supernatural enough to have updated itself when the Aon Rao changed, or could it be out of date now?  Is that the only selish symbol to have changes? 

For that matter, if the Aon Rao is also a constellation, was there perhaps a corresponding celestial event that added a Chasm-line to that one too?

@Quantus as far as the constellations go...

TheTetress

Some of the characters (I think it was Sarene) in Elantris mention that the constellations in their part of the world look like Aons. This seemed kind of odd to me. How significant is this, and does it play a role in how accessing the AonDor works (or do they just love astronomy)?

Brandon Sanderson

The characters in Elantris claiming that constellations look like Aons is mostly akin to us thinking that constellations look like animals--if you're looking for patterns, you'll find them.

source

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Quantus as far as the constellations go...

And so it goes...  A little sad, it could have had some cool implications on the wider physical realm, but that's not unexpected.  Thanks