Hoid and Nightblood

Pagliacci

I'm fairly sure that if Hoid were ever to have possession of Nightblood, the sword would remain sheathed for the entire time.

The thought of actually drawing Nightblood seems like it should be enough to incapitare Hoid seeing as his inability to cause harm extends to himself. 

Per a very new WoB, the odds of Hoid ever holding Nightblood at all are about the same as the odds of Rayse renouncing all further attempts at Shard-murdering and dedicating the rest of his immortal existence to performing charity work, spreading love and kindness and singing kumbaya.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

What would happen if Hoid held Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Uh, Hoid would not do that. Hoid would stay very far away.

Stormlightning [PENDING REVIEW]

Not even hold it??

He would stay really far away. There are very few things in the Cosmere that Hoid is afraid of, and Nightblood is one of them.

Stormlightning [PENDING REVIEW]

I thought he'd be afraid of the blade end.

So let's just say if very very very few things in the Cosmere had a chance of destroying you, you wouldn't even pick one up. You'd try to be in a different room entirely.

R'Shara and Sunbird and JoyBlu [PENDING REVIEW]

*Whispering about Nightblood being able to destroy Hoid*

I didn't say, I said theoretically. I said "had a chance of", I did not confirm. Hoid doesn't know. But there's a chance, and so he is not going to risk that.

source

But if it didn't destroy him, well let's speculate...if Hoid were able to think of or cause physical harm, then it's possible that he could wield Nightblood without using Breath or Stormlight-because he could heal whatever Nightblood harmed. Of course this is if Nightblood didn't destroy him AND if Hoid COULD cause physical harm. Oh well...

40 minutes ago, StormblessedSurvivor said:

But if it didn't destroy him, well let's speculate...if Hoid were able to think of or cause physical harm, then it's possible that he could wield Nightblood without using Breath or Stormlight-because he could heal whatever Nightblood harmed. Of course this is if Nightblood didn't destroy him AND if Hoid COULD cause physical harm. Oh well...

not a matter of healing. nightblood drains investiture from the user. Hoid certainly has plenty of it, and so could use nightblood for a prolonged time, but it would eventually drain him too.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:36 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Well now I can see Kelsier -  if he ever found out - doing his darndest to get Nightblood and hunt Hoid down...

Considering Kelsier's current state, I feel like that would be a really really bad idea for him (Kelsier).

17 minutes ago, StormblessedSurvivor said:

I don't see how Kelsier, as a Cognitive Shadow, could even take in Stormlight or Breath...or even metals...could metals fuel Nightblood while burned?

Yes, allomancy can fuel Nightblood just fine as can feruchemy.

Questioner

On the coppermind it states specifically that Nightblood is fueled by Investiture, would that mean that an Allomancer burning, say, steel, could then [draw] Nightblood and fuel it off of that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Nightblood would feed off that Kinetic Investiture, you could make that work. You would have to keep that portal open, and he would eat the power instead of whatever you were planning to do with it, and when you ran out of metal he’d kill you.

Questioner

Would that also work with say...whatever you have in a Coppermind or metalmind?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, yes, theoretically you could make that work too. That’s an excellent question, you’re the first to ask that.

source

Kelsier has a physical body again (the eye spike is anchoring him to it) and the situation isn't unlike a Returned who has their Cognitive/Spiritual aspects stapled to their Physical body by the Divine Breath. We know Returned can obtain Breath and Awaken with it and Vasher has figured out how to use Stormlight to fuel the Divine Breath, so it should be possible for Kelsier as he is now to make use of other forms of Investiture assuming he meets the various requirements to do so.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Ookla, the Hivemind said:

I don't think Nightblood has the presence of mind to have a hit list. 

Yeah. I mean has the presence of mind but i don't think he cares that much other than destroying evil. Even if he decides that Hoid is evil, he was pretty fine if his wielder didn't kill somebody he considered eviiiil

11 minutes ago, The Silverlight Scholar said:

That makes me wonder how much consciousness Night blood has. Also, does anyone have any idea what Nightblood would do if he was being wielded by someone who thaught that Vasher (or anyone else Nightblood likes) was evil?

Is he drawn or sheathed?

Sheathed, he'd like them, cause that's how he works. He's a very friendly evil destroying sword after all. 

Drawn, he's pretty mindless and everything has to be destroyed. So... 

Edited by Calderis

5 hours ago, Calderis said:

Is he drawn or sheathed?

Sheathed, he'd like them, cause that's how he works. He's a very friendly evil destroying sword after all. 

Drawn, he's pretty mindless and everything has to be destroyed. So... 

Hehe, then he'd wake up like a drunk baby wondering what happened.  He's entirely willing to destroy his wielder, even Vasher.  He's only friendly after they pass the Test though. I dont think it's a forced mechanic in the sense that He's always friendly to his wielder, rather he's friendly if they impress him by surviving the initial meeting. 

Although...There's a scene in OB that make me think he might actually be growing up a bit, or at least developing his own sense of right and wrong, during the skybreaker test when he accused Szeth of being cruel for leaving the criminal with a broken back to drown.  Granted it sounded like it was mostly Vienna's influence, that she'd treated him like a person, which got him to start thinking of himself in terms of human morality.   This feels significant to me, because I think a major Cosmere turning point is going to be when Nightblood determines his own definition of Evil. 

8 hours ago, The Silverlight Scholar said:

That makes me wonder how much consciousness Night blood has. Also, does anyone have any idea what Nightblood would do if he was being wielded by someone who thaught that Vasher (or anyone else Nightblood likes) was evil?

He'd destroy Vasher, then keep asking where he was (just like Shashara).  

• Chaos locked this topic