Awakening Food Relationships (Discussion)

Ark1002

As the title suggest, I want to discuss every. Single. Implication. Of awakened food.

To start it up: Would it change the taste or smell if you used it for color? or alternatively: If food is full of breath and you eat it, what happens?

23 hours ago, user613 said:

What happens when Lift eats it?

Stormlight info/spoilers

Spoiler

Presumably the same thing plus her being able to turn the carrot into Investiture once it's eaten, I don't think she'd get a boost or anything. Maybe if the Breath was hers.

Edited by Agent34

• 2 weeks later...
On November 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Kidpen said:

As the title suggest, I want to discuss every. Single. Implication. Of awakened food.

To start it up: Would it change the taste or smell if you used it for color? or alternatively: If food is full of breath and you eat it, what happens?

I don't think the taste or smell would change with the color, but I don't even think Brandon knows exactly how color works with that magic system. Here's a little wacky theory, but what if the whole draining color thing is really just converting color into life? If so, then draining color would most likely get rid of color, although that's a bit of a stretch. This theory, however, explains why you never see awakeners using the thing they awaken for color.

2 minutes ago, Books_Before_Death said:

I don't think the taste or smell would change with the color, but I don't even think Brandon knows exactly how color works with that magic system. Here's a little wacky theory, but what if the whole draining color thing is really just converting color into life? If so, then draining color would most likely get rid of color, although that's a bit of a stretch. This theory, however, explains why you never see awakeners using the thing they awaken for color.

The reason I thought it might do something is he said it is taking physical pigments. Taking the pigments out would have an affect on taste.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Servillius said:

Turning breath into stormlight would be cool, but not as useful as being able to turn stormlight into breath, because breath is permament.

Eh. Just like I doubt there's a way of compounding breath, I don't think you can turn breath into stormlight. 

It's one thing to discuss awakening with stormlight and vice versa, but I entirely doubt that there's anyway to change Investiture from one shard to that of another. 

Yeah, I know *sad face*

I'll still keep the opinion that if you burn metal that's been awakened, and both the corresponding shards have power available, it allows you to compound the breath.

It is my opinion, and I will keep this opinion until Sanderson fools me again.

Edited by Ookla the Servillius

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Servillius said:

Yeah, I know *sad face*

I'll still keep the opinion that if you burn metal that's been awakened, and both the corresponding shards have power available, it allows you to compound the breath.

It is my opinion, and I will keep this opinion until Sanderson fools me again.

Ummm... I don't know if you've seen this or not... 

Questioner (paraphrased)

What would happen if Allomancer was also an Awakener and Awakened metal he'd burn?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

If he did that, he’d get allomantic power and also get back the Breaths used in Awakening the metal.

Footnote: supposedly it was around half an hour into the signing line; has not been found on the record although we may have started it after it was asked already; follow-up to this
source

Make of it what you will... 

2 hours ago, Ookla the Servillius said:

No, haven't seen that. Thanks. I'll keep my opinions to myself in the future.

Don't do that!  That's what the Shard is for; sharing opinions even if they end up being wrong.  We all make mistakes.  But don't keep your opinions to yourself because you're afraid others will shoot down your ideas.  

1 hour ago, Ookla the Servillius said:

But whyyyy.

It doesn't make sense that allomancy and feruchemy are the only compoundable forms of investiture!!

It would be nice to understand the origin of feruchemy better.

The thing is, compounding works because the feruchemists body is like, "Feruchemical strength, yeah, I know what that is, I can do that." And then the allomatic energy fuels a power the person's body already has. The same can't be said of breath. The body doesn't recognize breath as something it can replicate. Now, a returned might have a different effect. I could almost see a returned trying it and their body going, "Oh, breath, I remember having that at one point." And the breath might properly reattach itself to the returned, preforming the same job their divine breath does. But that's all just speculation.

On 13/12/2018 at 8:38 PM, HSuperLee said:

The thing is, compounding works because the feruchemists body is like, "Feruchemical strength, yeah, I know what that is, I can do that." And then the allomatic energy fuels a power the person's body already has. The same can't be said of breath. The body doesn't recognize breath as something it can replicate. Now, a returned might have a different effect. I could almost see a returned trying it and their body going, "Oh, breath, I remember having that at one point." And the breath might properly reattach itself to the returned, preforming the same job their divine breath does. But that's all just speculation.

Oh, ok. I thought it was more like this:

Preservations power is sitting there, and someone burns some steel. It creates the gateway that allows them to push on metal.

But, if the allomancer instead burns steel that has feruchemical investiture stored in it, preservations power thinks "Oh, I thought you wanted to push metal, but you actually want speed. Ok, here you go."

11 minutes ago, Ookla the Servillius said:

Oh, ok. I thought it was more like this:

Preservations power is sitting there, and someone burns some steel. It creates the gateway that allows them to push on metal.

But, if the allomancer instead burns steel that has feruchemical investiture stored in it, preservations power thinks "Oh, I thought you wanted to push metal, but you actually want speed. Ok, here you go."

Brandon has described the allomantic metals as one of those playdough machines with the nozzles that you can put on to force the playdough into specific shapes. 

Spoiler

mooglefrooglian

My question is, what 'causes' an effect in the end for Allomancy? You've got Investiture being filtered through a metal, but does putting it through the metal turn the Investiture cause a Steelpush, or is it putting the Investiture through your soul that causes it? At what point do you turn Preservation's Investiture into a Steelpush, or is there no one 'point' where it happens?

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, imagine you've got one of those play-dough machines you can stuff with dough, then press a handle on the top to make a little snake-like tube of play-dough squirt out.

Those have appendages you can affix to the front to change the shape of the tube that comes out. The metals are the appendage that determines the shape of the power released, but only certain souls can unlock those metals and use them.

source

Preservation power is the playdough, and the metal is the nozzle that determines the" shape" or power you get. 

He's also described compounding as basically hacking the powers to create new allomantic metals. 

It's not so much choosing a different power, or even using what the body does. It's changing the power as the investiture pours in. 

On 12/16/2018 at 11:12 PM, Calderis said:

Brandon has described the allomantic metals as one of those playdough machines with the nozzles that you can put on to force the playdough into specific shapes. 

Hide contents

mooglefrooglian

My question is, what 'causes' an effect in the end for Allomancy? You've got Investiture being filtered through a metal, but does putting it through the metal turn the Investiture cause a Steelpush, or is it putting the Investiture through your soul that causes it? At what point do you turn Preservation's Investiture into a Steelpush, or is there no one 'point' where it happens?

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, imagine you've got one of those play-dough machines you can stuff with dough, then press a handle on the top to make a little snake-like tube of play-dough squirt out.

Those have appendages you can affix to the front to change the shape of the tube that comes out. The metals are the appendage that determines the shape of the power released, but only certain souls can unlock those metals and use them.

source

Preservation power is the playdough, and the metal is the nozzle that determines the" shape" or power you get. 

He's also described compounding as basically hacking the powers to create new allomantic metals. 

It's not so much choosing a different power, or even using what the body does. It's changing the power as the investiture pours in. 

Wait but if a feruchemical charged metal is counted as a new allomantic metal, and compounding is its allomantic effect, then compounding breath could be allom,antic effect of awakening a metal

6 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Wait but if a feruchemical charged metal is counted as a new allomantic metal, and compounding is its allomantic effect, then compounding breath could be allom,antic effect of awakening a metal

It's not. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

What would happen if Allomancer was also an Awakener and Awakened metal he'd burn?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

If he did that, he’d get allomantic power and also get back the Breaths used in Awakening the metal.

Footnote: supposedly it was around half an hour into the signing line; has not been found on the record although we may have started it after it was asked already; follow-up to this
source

"compounding" breath would require converting Preservation Investiture into Endowment Investiture. I don't believe conversion like that is possible.